Pre-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Pt. V: Got your ticket? (Mod note in pinned post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Wings are actually dreaming of Dach, apparently. I suppose that could happen, but it would likely involve Zegras replacing him in the top 5.

Pronman's Mock Draft 1.0: Projecting the first round of the...

I've heard the "Yzerman is comfortable with Russian players" thing, but I think he'd be nuts to take Podkolzin over guys that will be available to the Wings at 6 OA. Those likely include Zegras, Dach, and and outside shot at Byram. Detroit is actually one of the teams, though, that I think could be a candidate to reach on a guy like Newhook if they think he's the best centre on the board. But I think they'll be taking a centre for sure unless Byram falls.

The only way Dach hits 6 OA for the Wings, per your "2," is if Zegras goes higher than expected in the four slot. I actually have a suspicion that Colorado, who is rumored to be after a centre, has their eye on Zegras. That's if they pass on Byram, which I think is still unlikely. LA would take Byram and Wings would take Dach in that scenario.

Cozens is outside that group for me. There's too many questions around his offensive upside out there despite the size and skating, and he seems to be the guy commonly put on the wing at the NHL level. If teams think will be a winger he'll fall lower than expected. Same with Boldy. That's also why I think Newhook could rise.

I expect the first round to be one (maybe two defensemen depending on Broberg) and the 8-9 forwards with the highest upside that project as centres at the NHL level. That drops Podkolzin, Boldy, Caufield, and even Cozens a bit further down my list than some of the guys not projected to be in the top 10.

Nuts to take Podkolzin at 6? This guy was firmly entrenched in the 3rd spot for both early and mid-term mocks... By comparison, Zegras was a late rounder that rose throughout the year. It's a staggering shift based upon Pod's KHL commitment and lack of production. It's weird to see. Reminds me of how Saad fell.

Here's an article from Helen St. James, a regular TSN1040 interviewee and writer for the Detroit Free Press:

Detroit Red Wings mock NHL draft: Vasili Podkolzin's compete level may intrigue

She has Podkolzin going to the Wings in this mock. Her older mocks had Zegras and Cozens in consideration for DET's picks. Not unreasonable at all.

NOTE: Byram and Turcotte go top5 in all three of Helen's mocks.

Dach is obviously another great fit for DET. Skill, position and size.

I think teams can use Cozens at C in the same way Carter and Kesler were Cs. These are the 2way power forwards that may not be the best passers, but do everything else to stay in that key position.

Also, let's not forget, Cozens outproduced Dach. For whatever questions there are about Cozens' skill, he showed that among the CHLers at least, he was the better producer on the year.

The centre projection is interesting though. Newhook is expected to shift to the wing, eventually. Played wing on Krebs' line at the U18s. Zegras, as we know, played wing on Hughes' line. Aside from Turcotte and Dach, I'm not bullish on any one of these prospects ascending up the ranks as centres.

Reactions: TruGr1t

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I mentioned a defender only because Pauser mentioned the 2016 defenseman situation.

I don't really think over-aggressive is how i would describe Harley. I haven't seen like over-aggressive pinches and said "ohh no, he can't get back in time". But aggressiveness in his own zone, that's something i'd like to see more of.

I really think York looks like Fowler; at times, its uncanny as a stylistic comparison despite the height difference. He plays a surprising physical game. But i don't think he is that creative on the PP, or at least its not discernible because he often defers to Zegras/Hughes on the right side to QB the PP.

It sounds lazy, because Cam=Cam, but yeah...i can't really get past it. They play so similarly. Especially at that age. I don't really worry bout Fowler's extra "size", since i figure they're both probably going to end up pretty functionally similar sizes. York has to add some mass, but i'm not really worried about that. They play the same way, and neither is really about physicality dominating anything. It's all positition and stick work, and they're both really good at it.

Creativity on the PP is definitely a tough read. I love how quick and decisive he is there. That's a big part of quarterbacking a modern powerplay. Yes, he's feeding an all star team...but he's that top pin in the machine that makes the big decisions...L-R and ultimately a lot of H-L. He's just instant with it. He's reading the play before it develops as that quarterback. He can walk the line easy, but he often does the bare minimum to achieve what he wants as a QB. It's easy and efficient. So many moving pieces with that USDP PP though, where it's not as easy to just nail down exactly who is driving what.

Nuts to take Podkolzin at 6? This guy was firmly entrenched in the 3rd spot for both early and mid-term mocks... By comparison, Zegras was a late rounder that rose throughout the year. It's a staggering shift based upon Pod's KHL commitment and lack of production. It's weird to see. Reminds me of how Saad fell.

Here's an article from Helen St. James, a regular TSN1040 interviewee and writer for the Detroit Free Press:

She has Podkolzin going to the Wings in this mock. Her older mocks had Zegras and Cozens in consideration for DET's picks. Not unreasonable at all.

I'm kinda surprised to see you promoting "compete level" as a top note here. That's the real question with Podkolzin, isn't it? He plays hard, plays the right way...but...is he actually *that* skilled, and does he really have top-end vision?

I think teams can use Cozens at C in the same way Carter and Kesler were Cs. These are the 2way power forwards that may not be the best passers, but do everything else to stay in that key position.

Also, let's not forget, Cozens outproduced Dach. For whatever questions there are about Cozens' skill, he showed that among the CHLers at least, he was the better producer on the year.

The centre projection is interesting though. Newhook is expected to shift to the wing, eventually. Played wing on Krebs' line at the U18s. Zegras, as we know, played wing on Hughes' line. Aside from Turcotte and Dach, I'm not bullish on any one of these prospects ascending up the ranks as centres.

Agree 100% on the idea of Cozens being a Kesler-esque C, or i actually like the comp to Zibanejad. I think he's that sort of Center where you're constantly flirting with moving him to the wing...but ultimately, he just ends up playing C because you do not have anybody better to do it.

For us though...I think Cozens plays wing to either of Bo or Pete. That's just something we need so much, and i don't think Cozens would be out of place playing there. If we end up a deep enough team to push Cozens to 3C, i want that team...and i'd be thrilled to have him there.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I'm kinda surprised to see you promoting "compete level" as a top note here. That's the real question with Podkolzin, isn't it? He plays hard, plays the right way...but...is he actually *that* skilled, and does he really have top-end vision?

I'm not sure what you are referring to? Please clarify.

Agree 100% on the idea of Cozens being a Kesler-esque C, or i actually like the comp to Zibanejad. I think he's that sort of Center where you're constantly flirting with moving him to the wing...but ultimately, he just ends up playing C because you do not have anybody better to do it.

For us though...I think Cozens plays wing to either of Bo or Pete. That's just something we need so much, and i don't think Cozens would be out of place playing there. If we end up a deep enough team to push Cozens to 3C, i want that team...and i'd be thrilled to have him there.

The thrust of my argument was to say that Cozens will not be there at 10, he will be picked beforehand.

If he gets to 10, I will be amazed.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Any favourites among the guys that might reasonably be available at 10? Alternatively, anyone you’d prefer to steer clear of?
My pipedreams are Byram/Turcotte.

My preferred forward choice would be Boldy. His linemates in the regular season included many grinders (Beecher+Caulfield) and got lumped on PP2, which barely got ice time and looked real ugly and incompetent until Brink (skill) was added to the other arm of the umbrella in the tournament. Very little weakness in his game.

The others i'd be okay/happy with: Caufield, Dach, Zegras, Newhook and minority opinion, I include Broberg in this group.

I personally would avoid Pod and Krebs the most, maybe Cozens too. I wasn't the biggest Krebs fan before the injury, even less so now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

My preferred forward choice would be Boldy. His linemates in the regular season included many grinders (Beecher+Caulfield) and got lumped on PP2, which barely got ice time and looked real ugly and incompetent until Brink (skill) was added to the other arm of the umbrella in the tournament. Very little weakness in his game.

The others i'd be okay/happy with: Caufield, Dach, Zegras, Newhook and minority opinion, I include Broberg in this group.

I personally would avoid Pod and Krebs the most, maybe Cozens too. I wasn't the biggest Krebs fan before the injury, even less so now.

Curious what you don't like about Krebs...obviously the injury impacts things a lot, but you said you weren't a fan pre-injury.

What turns you off Sieder, but you like about Broberg?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

This is an interesting opinion from you feebs. believe players like Podkolzin, Krebs and Cozens would fit your ideal player type. What's the difference this year?

Zegras, Newhook and Caufield don't seem like players you would normally target. Boldy makes sense though, based on your past leanings.

Just have felt like your certification on a prospect has generally been more, "Skill Skill Skill". With less emphasis on "compete level" lately.

It has been. I'm not sure how I have implied anything else?

Understand that I am outlining Podkolzin's placement within the top10. Why the intelligentsia thinks he should be there. I am not, however, promoting his skill set as something I would choose over other favourites within the top10.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Curious what you don't like about Krebs...obviously the injury impacts things a lot, but you said you weren't a fan pre-injury.

What turns you off Sieder, but you like about Broberg?
Don't want to rehash the debate from 8? pages ago btwn you, Cana, and bleach. But that's essentially what it comes down to, his skill level. I side with bleach's view. Since the beginning of the season, I've felt he was a cut below in skill level to the other top Whlers, and over the course of the season, easily below the top Americans. The U18s helped to add Newhook to the picture with the even playing field. For me, I saw a noticeable skill gap again between Krebs and him.

Both have good/mature defensive games. I feel the skating and potential offence ability sets Broberg apart. If he can clean up his rushes and find players who can keep up to dish with, it is a very intriguing upside. Also IMO, an intriguing blend of puck mover+rusher.

This is an interesting opinion from you feebs. believe players like Podkolzin, Krebs and Cozens would fit your ideal player type. What's the difference this year?

Zegras, Newhook and Caufield don't seem like players you would normally target. Boldy makes sense though, based on your past leanings.
I feel like I don't have a type per se for forwards, defenders moreso yes. I mean, Ehlers was my choice, I also advocated hard for Tkachuk and Pettersson/Vilardi. My most favourite junior player to watch was Marner.

For this draft, as an example, I really like Tomasino (skill) and Rees (two way energy).

The only one I might say is out of character is Caufield because of size and I do like to stay in the range of 5'10-6'3. I did discount Debrincat for many of the same flaws ppl assign to Caufield. But it's hard to argue against all the record breaking. Don't want to make the same mistake.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Haha, O.K. maybe not "nuts" to take Podkolzin there, but I think there's enough issues surrounding his consistency and development route to drop him outside the top 10. This is also based on the narrative building around media who attended the combine. I suppose teams could be throwing up smokescreens, but when guys like Button and Pronman go from ranking him top 3 to ranking outside the top 10 it's probably because they heard something.

I could see it going either way on Cozens. He's big, he's fast and he's got a great two-way game, but there are questions surrounding whether he'll translate to centre at the NHL level and around his offensive upside. If a team believes he's going to be a big, strong top-six centre I can see him going in the top 5. For Zegras I just don't see him falling outside the top 6 ... skill level's just too high. I think it's more likely Dach or Cozens fall.

I actually think there will be some organizations projecting Newhook and Krebs at centre. Both play centre naturally ... Newhook switched over for the tournament. I don't really get where some of the winger stuff is coming from as both guys skill set seems to project centre to me. Is it their size?

Anyway, the top 10's going to be crazy after the first 5 guys.

Coincidentally, the Athletic had a mock draft where all the beat writers selected for their teams: NHL mock draft: Beat writers project the 2019 first round

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Zegras
7. Caufield
8. Dach
9. Krebs
10. Boldy

Note: Apparently this was put together prior to Kreb's injury. Podkolzin went 12 to Minnesota.

Reactions: CanuckCity

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Haha, O.K. maybe not "nuts" to take Podkolzin there, but I think there's enough issues surrounding his consistency and development route to drop him outside the top 10. This is also based on the narrative building around media who attended the combine. I suppose teams could be throwing up smokescreens, but when guys like Button and Pronman go from ranking him top 3 to ranking outside the top 10 it's probably because they heard something.

I could see it going either way on Cozens. He's big, he's fast and he's got a great two-way game, but there are questions surrounding whether he'll translate to centre at the NHL level and around his offensive upside. If a team believes he's going to be a big, strong top-six centre I can see him going in the top 5. For Zegras I just don't see him falling outside the top 6 ... skill level's just too high. I think it's more likely Dach or Cozens fall.

I actually think there will be some organizations projecting Newhook and Krebs at centre. Both play centre naturally ... Newhook switched over for the tournament. I don't really get where some of the winger stuff is coming from as both guys skill set seems to project centre to me. Is it their size?

Coincidentally, the Athletic had a mock draft where all the beat writers selected for their teams: NHL mock draft: Beat writers project the 2019 first round

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Zegras
7. Caufield
8. Dach
9. Krebs
10. Boldy

Note: Apparently this was put together prior to Kreb's injury. Podkolzin went 12 to Minnesota.

Interesting comment from Pronman on the Krebs selection @ 9.

Pronman: This pick was made before news of Krebs tearing his Achilles. With that said, after polling NHL sources, I don’t expect Krebs’ stock to change dramatically. He would be a great addition to the organization and, along with Steel, provide the Ducks with two top center prospects.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
It sounds lazy, because Cam=Cam, but yeah...i can't really get past it. They play so similarly. Especially at that age. I don't really worry bout Fowler's extra "size", since i figure they're both probably going to end up pretty functionally similar sizes. York has to add some mass, but i'm not really worried about that. They play the same way, and neither is really about physicality dominating anything. It's all positition and stick work, and they're both really good at it.

Creativity on the PP is definitely a tough read. I love how quick and decisive he is there. That's a big part of quarterbacking a modern powerplay. Yes, he's feeding an all star team...but he's that top pin in the machine that makes the big decisions...L-R and ultimately a lot of H-L. He's just instant with it. He's reading the play before it develops as that quarterback. He can walk the line easy, but he often does the bare minimum to achieve what he wants as a QB. It's easy and efficient. So many moving pieces with that USDP PP though, where it's not as easy to just nail down exactly who is driving what.

For us though...I think Cozens plays wing to either of Bo or Pete. That's just something we need so much, and i don't think Cozens would be out of place playing there. If we end up a deep enough team to push Cozens to 3C, i want that team...and i'd be thrilled to have him there

This is how I see Cozens as well. Top 6 RW or middle 6 C. Which would be a good "problem" to have. If it were down to him and Boldy both being available at 10 I would have a hard time choosing. I don't really expect Cozens to make it to 10 and am hoping Boldy does.

What do you not like about Cozens?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Just listening to this and Sat says he thinks the Canucks are hoping for Newhook. Biech also said both Krebs and Newhook project as centres, in his opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity and Love

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
Feebs, in my viewings of Boldy I found his decision making with the puck lacking in his own zone and the neutral zone - several ill advised passes to the other team. I like his board play, skating style on the half walls, ability to handle the puck with defenders present and offensive zone IQ but am I the only one concerned with the turnovers?

I see the potential and yes I would draft him (prefer newhook/krebs/cozens) but I think he is not as flawless as people seem to think.

Newhook honestly seems like the best package of tools for our team. With Peterson, Horvat, Virtanen, Hughes all being high end skaters I like the idea of stacking pace-setting skaters and being a team based on skill. Newhook is the most dynamic skater. I see no glaring flaws in his game and the tournament helped assuage competition concerns.

Krebs is a very good skater and I somewhat agree with the idea that he is behind a newhook or zegras in terms of skill... at the moment. He's a cerebral hard-nosed team-first player and when that type of player is asked to carry a team they accept the responsibility and make the reliable plays. He understands the play better than a lot of the top guys and so doesn't have to establish the play as much. He can go with the flow a bit more. His puck handling is similar to Peterson in some ways (particularly driving wide left while protecting the puck and circling) and I think he's a guy whose skill expands as he needs it to in the nhl. Pre-injury I had him neck and neck with newhook...

I love zegras' hockey IQ but I greatly question his physical ability at the NHL level. To me he's a boom or bust pick. If he can get a bit sturdier on his skates he has the stick skill and mind to be a high end playmaker but can he keep NHL physicality from making him a perimeter player? I really don't know... and that question mark would make me hesitate taking him at 10.

Cozens is a bit of a straight line player but a highly intelligent one. His positioning IQ and physical ability to get there are both fantastic. He's a guy that will finish plays at the net for you after making a passing lane with his speed and body. He doesn't have the line-driving, playmaking IQ of a Newhook, Krebs or Dach (who I assume won't be available) but on a line that already has someone like that, he could be the better player.

Broberg reminds me of a young Morgan Reilly a bit with the physical skating ability to put someone on your hip and skate around them. He has some areas to smooth out but I see the upside. Probably not the player I would jump at (largely because I could see him busting entirely and I'm not comfortable with the degree of boom/bust) but I can understand picking him.

I like Soderstrom quite a bit. He already knows how to defend positionally and he's got more physical talent than he gets credited with. I also think his puck handling and offensive upside is underrated. I see a chance of him becoming a Roman Josi level d-man and I'd be shocked if he doesn't become a top 4 D.

Reactions: Grantham

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Turcotte
4. Cozens
5. Byram
6. Zegras
7. Caufield
8. Dach
9. Krebs
10. Boldy

Button only moved Podkolzin to 9th, still ahead of Turcotte. So I wouldn't exactly be using that as a barometer. It's funny, moving a guy to 9-10 always gets treated as though it's a slight, all it means is that they like a few really good guys a little bit more. He has Cozens and Dach 14 and 12 also.

I'm a Podkolzin fan, but I would understand why the team may be averse to drafting a russian.

Who did Philly take ahead of Podkolzin?

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Button only moved Podkolzin to 9th, still ahead of Turcotte. So I wouldn't exactly be using that as a barometer. It's funny, moving a guy to 9-10 always gets treated as though it's a slight, all it means is that they like a few really good guys a little bit more. He has Cozens and Dach 14 and 12 also.

I'm a Podkolzin fan, but I would understand why the team may be averse to drafting a russian.

Who did Philly take ahead of Podkolzin?

That's a funny one ... they took Soderstrom, actually. It was an interesting mock since Broberg fell to around 15 I think, while Caufield went at 7 OA.

Are you referring to Button's mocks or his rankings? I was talking about his mocks where he went from having the Hawks take Podkolzin at 3 OA in April to having Florida take him at 13 OA in May. Pronman similarly tanked him into the mid 1st in his mocks, I believe. My suspicion is that they heard something around the combine because nothing has really happened to impact Podz stock since the u18s.

Reactions: 420Canuck

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Just listening to this and Sat says he thinks the Canucks are hoping for Newhook. Biech also said both Krebs and Newhook project as centres, in his opinion.

Really really hope we get Newhook. Love hearing this but I have this suspicion that he’ll be a riser like Hayton last year. Maybe I’m just being pessimistic.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That's a funny one ... they took Soderstrom, actually. It was an interesting mock since Broberg fell to around 15 I think, while Caufield went at 7 OA.

Are you referring to Button's mocks or his rankings? I was talking about his mocks where he went from having the Hawks take Podkolzin at 3 OA in April to having Florida take him at 13 OA in May. Pronman similarly tanked him into the mid 1st in his mocks, I believe. My suspicion is that they heard something around the combine because nothing has really happened to impact Podz stock since the u18s.
Oh, I was meaning Button's Rankings. I just ask because Podkolzin seems very much like a Philadelphia Flyer. If the draft broke down like you've suggested, I'd have a hard time seeing them pass up the Russian winger.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Really really hope we get Newhook. Love hearing this but I have this suspicion that he’ll be a riser like Hayton last year. Maybe I’m just being pessimistic.

I would be very excited with Newhook. Whether he remains at C or moves to LW I see him as having top 6 potential. I think I saw Alex Tanguay as a comparable for him, which would be a huge asset to us if he comes close to that.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
My final top 20 rankings:

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kappo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Alex Newhook
6. Matthew Boldy
7. Trevor Zegras
8. Dylan Cozens
9. Kirby Dach
10. Cole Caufield
11. Peyton Krebs
12. Arthur Kaliyev
13. Moritz Seider
14. Vasili Podkolzin
15. Spencer Knight
16. Cam York
17. Philip Tomasino
18. Bobby Brink
19. Philip Broberg
20. Nils Hoglander

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks don’t need to be locked into a position for a forward. They have organizational depth at C. If he’s the best guy take him but the C spot seems solid going forward.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Canucks don’t need to be locked into a position for a forward. They have organizational depth at C. If he’s the best guy take him but the C spot seems solid going forward.

Centre will always be the premium position as it's far easier convert a C to W instead of vice versa. I actually don't think we have have good depth at any position as an organization.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My final top 20 rankings:

1. Jack Hughes
2. Kappo Kakko
3. Bowen Byram
4. Alex Turcotte
5. Alex Newhook
6. Matthew Boldy
7. Trevor Zegras
8. Dylan Cozens
9. Kirby Dach
10. Cole Caufield
11. Peyton Krebs
12. Arthur Kaliyev
13. Moritz Seider
14. Vasili Podkolzin
15. Spencer Knight
16. Cam York
17. Philip Tomasino
18. Bobby Brink
19. Philip Broberg
20. Nils Hoglander

Newhook at #5 eh? What's your projection of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad