2019 NHL Draft, Pt. IV

Assuming Hughes Kakko Byram Turcotte gone, which of the following would you be happy with?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
so would Peyton Krebs being our pick make people happy if someone like Zegras is still on the board?
thats a tough one. I think i might side with Krebs but it's really close.

i'm a big fan of both at this point and honestly would be pretty satisfied if either are available at 10. I have to yield to Brackett if he thinks Zegras has enough strength and potential athletically because his talent is worthy of a top5 pick

6 players i cannot see being available are Hughes Kakko Byram Dach Cozens and Turcotte

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Zegras has zero business being at 10.

The 3-10/11 group is hard to predict.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks will have a couple players that we didn't think would be available to choose from. I think someone like Broberg will get picked before the 10th pick, giving the Canucks likely a choice of that includes 2-3 of Krebs, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield, Podkolzin.

Reactions: biturbo19

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
so would Peyton Krebs being our pick make people happy if someone like Zegras is still on the board?

Krebs would be an amazing pick. He'd be another Bo Horvat kind of pick. He may not have the "flash" that Zegras and other players have, but his overall game and drive/determination will make him a very good and valuable player.

I very much think that Krebs is high on the Canucks list, if you look at who the Canucks have drafted in the past couple drafts, what separates them from other players is their willingness to work harder than others and to go the extra mile.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It appears Broberg may end up being the consensus (by slight majority?) 2nd best Dman in the draft.
Doing their due diligence. No point interviewing Kakko or Hughes. Don’t see a trade up to grab a C, so kind of not using the limited time you have wisely if you’re meeting with Turcotte for example. It’s Byram if you want to move up.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It appears Broberg may end up being the consensus (by slight majority?) 2nd best Dman in the draft.

In terms of analyst and fan perception? Maybe. I doubt he's consensus in terms of team draft sheets. After Byram it's a Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, etc. scenario all over again. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of 3-4 names be the second defenseman taken. I also wouldn't be surprised if the second d-man isn't taken until ~15 OA.

Reactions: biturbo19

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
In terms of analyst and fan perception? Maybe. I doubt he's consensus in terms of team draft sheets. After Byram it's a Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, etc. scenario all over again. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of 3-4 names be the second defenseman taken. I also wouldn't be surprised if the second d-man isn't taken until ~15 OA.

I agree with this. In this draft after Byram, the next group of dmen will come down to preference of style and whether a team will value the floor or ceiling more.

Soderstrom is a safer pick, but his ceiling is likely more just a 2nd pair dman, so it be tough to swallow that in a top 10 pick.

Broberg, and Harley are much more boom/bust players who have higher ceiling's but will need more work to get there.

Broberg also had a very strong U18 tournament which has helped his stock.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The 3-10/11 group is hard to predict.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks will have a couple players that we didn't think would be available to choose from. I think someone like Broberg will get picked before the 10th pick, giving the Canucks likely a choice of that includes 2-3 of Krebs, Boldy, Zegras, Caufield, Podkolzin.

honestly would be happy with any of these players. I prefer them over any of the D Men. My order would be K, B, P, Z and C.

And it really depends on whether or not Tryamkin is coming back for a payday. He will make a massive difference to our D and our physical character if he comes back in 2020.

But all this negativity surprises me. Try comes back. We add Juolevi and Woo. Stecher Hutton round out the D. Edler and Tanev take turns getting hurt, mentoring the young guys and I think we have a pretty solid D. Not worried about goal really, With Marky, Demo and Dipietro in system.

I think what we really need is another scoring winger. Or 3.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
honestly would be happy with any of these players. I prefer them over any of the D Men. My order would be K, B, P, Z and C.

And it really depends on whether or not Tryamkin is coming back for a payday. He will make a massive difference to our D and our physical character if he comes back in 2020.

But all this negativity surprises me. Try comes back. We add Juolevi and Woo. Stecher Hutton round out the D. Edler and Tanev take turns getting hurt, mentoring the young guys and I think we have a pretty solid D. Not worried about goal really, With Marky, Demo and Dipietro in system.

I think what we really need is another scoring winger. Or 3.
The dude turned his back on the team and has a conditioning attitude.
He's faltered n the khl I just don't get this wish to bring back this quitter.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Still annoying as f*** that there is more and more smoke that Benning has his tunnel vision on a defenseman at 10, when there will likely be a better forward available.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Still annoying as **** that there is more and more smoke that Benning has his tunnel vision on a defenseman at 10, when there will likely be a better forward available.

I can't remember, what was the feeling going into last draft? Was it that the Canucks wanted to draft a dman?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I can't remember, what was the feeling going into last draft? Was it that the Canucks wanted to draft a dman?

The year I remember most vividly was 2016 when Benning had his tunnel vision on a defenceman and we all know of course how that reach is working out. We will be lucky if we get a top 4 Dman at the expense of impact players.

Last year I think it would have always been a defenceman also. If Quinn wasnt there i heard they liked Dobson or it could have been Bouchard also.

I get that defencemen are important and it is hard to acquire them in trade, but this team cant score and has needs everywhere and needs 2 real top 6 forwards. In the top 10 I think you should take the most talented, best player available. But then Benning is pretty useless with asset management.

This is not a draft noted for top Dmen other than Byrum. If it has to be one I hope it is Broberg and they shoot for the boom pick with the higher ceiling than Soderstrom who looks like his celing is a "solid" second pairing defenceman.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The consensus was that the BPA at 6 OA last year was likely to be a defenseman. It was largely a debate between Boqvist, Dobson and Bouchard since they seemed to be the players ranked closest to our place in the draft. If I recall it seemed like Dobson was a favourite around here.

It was actually pretty much the opposite of this year, since some were on the fence about Wahlstrom over a defenseman. But the indication was that BPA would be on defense. Zadina almost made it interesting, though.

You can tell because nearly 50% of the top 12 in 2018 were defensemen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad