2019 NHL Draft, #LoseForHughes, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
How does Hughes compare to recent first overall picks?

Better than hischier. Worse than Matthews McDavid. We haven't had a first overall pick not from major junior or college or Europe for a long time. Yes Hughes does play vs NCAA teams but not a majority. He's mainly still playing against ushlers.
Being 5'10, 160 makes it difficult to project how he would stand up to the physicality of the nhl, but talent wise he's essentially Patrick Kane

But I think he would be a good linemates for Horvat and Kakko a good linemates for EP. I'd have reserves putting two 165 pound kids together...

Reactions: THE Green Man

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
If we end up with Hughes

Eriksson-Ep-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Hughes

If we end up with Kakko

Kakko-Ep-Eriksson

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

If we somehow ended winning the 3rd spot in the lottery it would be really interesting. I don't think we could pass up on a player like Dach but who is going to move to wing? Or are we just putting Dach at 3C to see how he does? Don't see us drafting the Russian

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I don't think the Dach vs. Cozens debate is even close at this point.

It really doesn't bother me that Dach can be interpreted as "lazy" or whatever.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Better than hischier. Worse than Matthews McDavid. We haven't had a first overall pick not from major junior or college or Europe for a long time. Yes Hughes does play vs NCAA teams but not a majority. He's mainly still playing against ushlers.
Being 5'10, 160 makes it difficult to project how he would stand up to the physicality of the nhl, but talent wise he's essentially Patrick Kane

But I think he would be a good linemates for Horvat and Kakko a good linemates for EP. I'd have reserves putting two 165 pound kids together...
I think Hughes will be better than Matthews and closer to McDavid, then Matthews is. The kid is unreal.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I heard Jack Hughes would be comparable to Eichel, who himself would have been a 1OA type had he not been in the same draft as McDavid (similar to Malkin in the Ovechkin draft)

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
I think Hughes will be better than Matthews and closer to McDavid, then Matthews is. The kid is unreal.

Really? I haven't seen him play, but he isn't even leading him team in points, and has just one goal in 7 games this year. Those numbers don't back up the idea he will be McDavid-esk

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Really? I haven't seen him play, but he isn't even leading him team in points, and has just one goal in 7 games this year. Those numbers don't back up the idea he will be McDavid-esk
McDavid is still in a tier of his own. No one comes close. But Hughes ceiling could be closer, I get the Kane comparisons.. he's small. He's got a nice shot, great hockey IQ, hes just so smart with the puck at this age.. but he is also a great skater, he's fast and smooth (god, the hughes brothers were so lucky to be taught by such a talented skater--their mum).. idk, I think he has the potential to be better than Matthews but obviously this is just potential

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
McDavid is still in a tier of his own. No one comes close. But Hughes ceiling could be closer, I get the Kane comparisons.. he's small. He's got a nice shot, great hockey IQ, hes just so smart with the puck at this age.. but he is also a great skater, he's fast and smooth (god, the hughes brothers were so lucky to be taught by such a talented skater--their mum).. idk, I think he has the potential to be better than Matthews but obviously this is just potential
He does? His shot looks like the weakest part of his game.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
He does? His shot looks like the weakest part of his game.
Yeah, he's a playmaker first because of that beautiful vision, hockey sense. His shot is underrated though, idk I think it is. Skating is kind of what makes him similar to McDavid (Before someone gets ttriggered.NO ONE IS COMPARING HIM TO MCDAVID, IM JUST SAYING HES FAST AND A BEAUTIFUL SKATER)

I would like to see kakko though as well. Havent seen much of him

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
From the little amount I have seen him play, isee a lot of matt duchene in him.

I think he will be better, but i think that have similar styles

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Im disappointed with the activity in this thread. Draft is in van and we are gonna have another 5th overall pick.

We also have idiot management. And to be fair, I am also looking at the 2020 draft already. Two pretty awesome Swedes with Holtz and Raymond along with Lafreniere and Byfield.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
If we want a RHD Kelowna's Lassi Thomson is intriguing. Very skilled player, reminds me a bit of John Klingberg or a more skilled Jokiharju. No obvious weaknesses, either. Will be interesting to track him VS Honka VS Kokkonen as the year goes on; yet another strong draft for Finnish D.

Don't like Byram much so Thomson's probably the defenseman of choice from the WHL for me.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
We also have idiot management. And to be fair, I am also looking at the 2020 draft already. Two pretty awesome Swedes with Holtz and Raymond along with Lafreniere and Byfield.
You think our top 5 pick will be traded?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I think the most important result of a Benning firing would be the return of @thefeebster @arsmaster @CanaFan posting in this thread regularly. It is an odd draft as there is less concrete information on this group. A lot of movement from 3 -50 monthly.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
The rankings and chatter usually picks up after the mid-season projections and world juniors selections. I imagine once we are out of the playoff hunt we will be talking about who we want. I haven’t looked into anybody considering the start we had, I’ll do my research ( aka McKenzie/Friedman’s opinion crossed with best sounding name ) to determine who I want

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Dylan Cozens (aka the second best 2019 draft WHL center) vs Jett Woo on SNP in half an hour fyi

there's also a dude on twitch who seems to stream every hamilton bulldogs game (including the one at 1pm) but i'm not sure about the legality of that so i guess i won't link it

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
For the first time since 2014, I'm going to actually pay detailed attention to the prospects in our range. I'm excited since the draft is at home.

Leggo.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The only players that I would be excited for are

Hughes
Kakko
Dach

okay with

Cozens
Byram (only because of the need on D, and no faith in Juolevi)

Not really interested in anyone else (unless if we are picking past like 7).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad