Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day Two

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Guys I want at 40 in as best an order as I can figure.

Kaliyev
Brink
Leason
Korczak
Afanasyev
Lavoie
M. Robertson
Fagemo (bit of a reach, maybe, but I like him)
Kolyachonok
Rees

We get any of the top three guys, I'm absolutely stoked. Assuming all three of those will be gone by our pick, I would be very happy with anyone else here.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
Any of Kaliyev, Brink, Robertson, Hoglander, or Fagemo would be great. Wouldn’t be mad if we took a swing for Knyazev either

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
just some of my favs for the remaining rounds. (No particular order) Wish we had a extra 2nd

2nd- Legare Leason Robertson Lundmark
3rd - Teply Rees Thrun Korszak
4th - Slepets Hamaliuk Bergeron Lee
5th- Newkirk Carroll Guskov Mironov
6th - Miner Malone Weight

Reactions: cookiefest

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe it's just me but i still really like Robertson and Kolyachonok for D men at 40. Just no Vlasic, omg my heart would sink.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of intriguing forwards worth a risk at 40 too. I did not think Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink would be in the 2nd round, but they certainly aren't without their risk.

Guys like Kolyachonok and Robertson still being available as defencemen would be an absolute gift for the Canucks, with our need to continue stocking the pipeline with defenders that have real upside. Kinda get the feeling they'll both be snapped up before Vancouver is on the clock again, since those are really the only 2 blueliners left that i'd be really happy with at 40 right now though. But other teams may feel differently and step outside of that, or just draft straight forwards. Who knows. :dunno:

Vlasic, i wouldn't be that upset...but i'd certainly be disappointed. He's not some completely useless Big & Tall plug. He can skate, and he's an underrated passer. But with the other talent that's bound to still be on the board, that wouldn't be great.

Some of the Forwards who are still available are just...confounding.

Lavoie to me, is a guy i'd be on the horn looking to move up to the top of the 2nd just to secure a guy who i look at as essentially a Top-15 caliber talent. I know it's not the consensus, but think he's probably got a higher ceiling than our 10th pick, Podkolzin. Risk? Sure...but with a 2nd round pick, gimme that 30G+ sniper with size who can skate, easy. Just floored that he's fallen this far.

But i'd be happy taking a flyer on wildcards like Jameison Rees, old man Brett Leason, Bobby Brink, or even Arthur Kaliev. They've all got major questionmarks around them, but more than worth the gamble at 40.

I know we don't allegedly don't "need" any more goaltenders, but i'd even entertain Alnefelt there maybe. Along with a smattering of other Forwards that i would be reasonably content with. There's a lot to choose from, that pretty much has to spill over to our pick at 40.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
@MS @thefeebster

Albin Grewe intrigues me. Haven't seen him play. Described as the 'next Marchand'.

Either of you seen him play at all? Is the playstyle comparison valid if so? Or is he just a pest and compared to Marchand because of that?

I don't see Marchand in Grewe's game. He's got a lot of bite to his game, but i don't see the same sort of skill level or vision. More of a heavier, more overtly physical guy. Grewe to me, seems like more of a potential Jamie McGinn/Scottie Upshall/Ryan Hartman type. That "middle-6" crash and bang player with agitating qualities, who happens to have a bit of scoring touch and the ability to play with better offensive skilled players to create some space.

I wouldn't be upset with that pick at 40, but with so many other names out there, i can't see it being my preference at all.

I'm okay with Robertson... but I am not a fan of Kolyachonok. I'd far far rather take Misyul but I agree I don't like Vlasic... even less than the other US Dev D-men Thun and Hellesson.

On forward Legare is another interesting option... but I think he's a step behind some of the others.

Out of curiousity, what don't you like about Kolyachonok?

Legare is another guy i wouldn't be thrilled about at 40, but i'd be plenty okay with.

Will be interesting if either of your guys and Korczak are there if they prioritize handedness at all. If we do take Korczak, I really hope Thomson does go pro in Europe next year to give more ice to Korczak.

It's kinda silly to be prioritizing handedness in the draft, especially into the second round. But in the case of Kolyachonok, it'd be even more foolish...considering he's a LHS who seems more at home as a RHD anyway.

I think it's pretty much a done deal that Thomson is heading back to Europe next year, but i'm not sure that really helps Korczak anyway. I think it's probably a Jet Woo sort of effect, where it makes for a nice increase in point totals for Korczak as he gets more PP time. But at the end of the day...he's not a player who is going to be anywhere near an NHL powerplay anyway. Doesn't hurt to have the guy playing more, in more situations...but he doesn't seem like a natural offensive player to me. That's where i kinda throw him into that "Gilliam" Brisebois category of guys who can put together some points later in Jrs, but are ultimately lacking any real standout quality or offensive pizzazz. More the sort of guy i'd want to see nabbed in the 3rd round, rather than at 40.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Judd Bracket time
If it's "Bracket time" then it's probably somebody from his 'favorite league' the USHL. That could mean either Brink, Afanasyev, or Firstov...don't know a thing about these players--but they sure lit up the USHL in their draft years. Brink even earned a call-up to the USNDP for the under-18's.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
@MS @thefeebster

Albin Grewe intrigues me. Haven't seen him play. Described as the 'next Marchand'.

Either of you seen him play at all? Is the playstyle comparison valid if so? Or is he just a pest and compared to Marchand because of that?
Ray Ferrero was asked on the radio a few days ago, "who is the Brad Marchand of this draft?" He said Rees. Take it for what its worth.

Personally I'm hoping for Lavoie to fall to us at #40. Doubt he last 9 more picks, but walking out of the draft with Pod and Lavoie would be insane!

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Kaliyev is a top 20 prospect and had one of the best goal scoring draft years in the last decade, the Canucks should be doing back flips if he’s still available and I’d even trade up for him.

Brett Leason is a NHL ready three zone player that was in my top 30, would easily take him at 40.

Bobby Brink has some flaws but is a first round level talent, but could end up being a Debrincat level steal.

Raphael Lavoie, I’m not as high as others on him, he’s one of the older players in the class as well, but he’s intriguing in the second round.

Robertson is a very solid defender and absolutely would take him at 40.

Any of these guys should be no brainers at 40.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
this draft is falling pretty perfectly for us, we got great value in Podkolzin and we're gonna get great value at 40 too, that was one of the most confusing 1st rounds I can ever remember

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Best available players according to Hockey Prospect's Black Book(rank)

Bobby Brink RW (15)
Vladislav Kolyachonok LHD (22)
Nils Hoglander LW (23)
Raphael Lavoie C (25)
Pavel Dorofeyev LW (27)
Drew Helleson RHD (29)
Jamieson Rees C (31)
Arthur Kaliyev RW (34)
Matthew Robertson LHD (35)
Layton Ahac LHD (36)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Big pass on Lavoie. There is a reason he is in freefall. People actually got to see him play in the Memorial Cup.

Bust.

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Wish we had another 2nd in the first 10 picks with some of these names still out there.

Might be worth a Tanev to Edmonton deal around there 2nd and Poolparty.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Honest question: If we can take Afanasyev or Dorofeyev at 40, does it now, in any way, help us with Tryamkin?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Kaliyev is a top 20 prospect and had one of the best goal scoring draft years in the last decade, the Canucks should be doing back flips if he’s still available and I’d even trade up for him.

Brett Leason is a NHL ready three zone player that was in my top 30, would easily take him at 40.

Bobby Brink has some flaws but is a first round level talent, but could end up being a Debrincat level steal.

Raphael Lavoie, I’m not as high as others on him, he’s one of the older players in the class as well, but he’s intriguing in the second round.

Robertson is a very solid defender and absolutely would take him at 40.

Any of these guys should be no brainers at 40.

Pick up Leason right away and get him to Utica!

MacEwen, Jasek, Leason, Lind, 4 sound prospects on RW with Boucher as a prototype mirror on the Left. Let MacEwen ride shotgun with Bouch. You have Gadjovich and Malone behind Bouch. Only one vet in the mix. Now, get them all good experienced centers and watch the points roll up. Remember that Kero was not a vet. There are always experienced guys like him out there that have not reached veteran status.

Any 20-yr-old centers you guys can see taking a flyer on in the 3rd/4th rounds? The Vancouver organization is starving for play now center depth with high potential as play makers.

Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Pick up Leason right away and get him to Utica!

MacEwen, Jasek, Leason, Lind, 4 sound prospects on RW with Boucher as a prototype mirror on the Left. Let MacEwen ride shotgun with Bouch. You have Gadjovich and Malone behind Bouch. Only one vet in the mix. Now, get them all good experienced centers and watch the points roll up. Remember that Kero was not a vet. There are always experienced guys like him out there that have not reached veteran status.

Any 20-yr-old centers you guys can see taking a flyer on in the 3rd/4th rounds? The Vancouver organization is starving for play now center depth with high potential as play makers.

Is that how I'm supposed to do it?

The 2 other overages on my radar are Ronnie Attard, a right handed dman who won best player in the USHL, and the Russian goalie who won best goalie at last year's world Juniors as is a steady .930 save % everywhere he plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad