Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft, Day Two

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Rest of my list for 40th:

10. Arthur Kaliyev, 6'2, RW - Hamilton (OHL)
19. Egor Afanasyev, 6'3, LW - Muskegon (USHL)
20. Raphaël Lavoie, 6'4, RW - Halifax (QMJHL)
21. Danil Misyul, 6'3, D - Yaroslavl 2 (Russia)
23. Nils Hoglander, 6', LW - Rogle (Sweden)
26. Pyotr Kochetkov, 6'3, G - Ryazan (Russia)
31. Bobby Brink, 5'9, RW - NTDP
---
35. Kaeden Korczak, 6'3, D - Kelowna (WHL)
36. Nicholas Robertson, 5'9, RW - Peterborough (OHL)
37. Vladislav Firstov, 6'1, LW - Waterloo (USHL)
38. John Farinacci, 6'0, C - Harvard (NCAA)
39. Brett Leason, 6'4, LW - Prince Albert (WHL)
40. Shane Pinto, 6'2, C - U. North Dakota (NCAA)
41. Jackson LaCombe , 6'2, D - Shattuck - St Marys Prep (High-Mn)
42. Matthew Robertson, 6'3, D - Edmonton (WHL)
44. Alexei Protas, 6'5, C - Prince Albert (WHL)
45. Graeme Clarke, 6'0, RW - Ottawa (OHL)
46. Pavel Dorofeyev, 6'1, LW - Magnitogorsk (Rus)
47. Jamieson Rees, 5'10, C - Sarnia (OHL)
48. Mads Sogaard, 6'8, G - Medicine Hat (WHL)

Already mentioned I like Ronnie Attard in the 3rd or 4th round.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
I'd look look to move up, some intriguing players still available who should've been first rounders.

Kaliyev in particular should've probably been a top 10 pick, getting him in the 31-35 range would be an absolute heist.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
@MS @thefeebster

Albin Grewe intrigues me. Haven't seen him play. Described as the 'next Marchand'.

Either of you seen him play at all? Is the playstyle comparison valid if so? Or is he just a pest and compared to Marchand because of that?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Salivating of a potential Podkolzin + Brink/Dorofeyev/Kalyiev/Kolyachonok/Korczak/Hoglander haul

Should be some real nice options at 40

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
@thefeebster

Albin Grewe intrigues me. Haven't seen him play. Described as the 'next Marchand'.

Either of you seen him play at all? Is the playstyle comparison valid if so? Or is he just a pest and compared to Marchand because of that?
I feel a bit meh about him. He wouldn't be my choice at 40.

He reminds me more of a Leo Komarov. A banger/grinder with not much skill or hockey smarts. Will go out of his way for a big hit rather than the smart play. But has a decent shot. Could carve out a bottom 6 spot, but i'd want someone with more upside.

Reactions: biturbo19 and clunk

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria

I'm not a fan of Kaliyev,I think he's this year's Oliver Wahlstrom in that he's primarily a a one trick pony and that trick might not translate against bigger and faster players and against better goalies.Pass for me.

Some interesting forwards should be available at 40.I think I'd go with Leason but Hoglander or Rees would be nice additions as well.
For D-men,Korczak or Robertson would be my choices here.​

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
Man if Bobby Brink can fix his skating he could be a gem. Him, Dorofeyev, Puistola, and Fagemo would be the guys I would be a looking at.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If the BPA at 40 is a F, take the F. There are tons of very good F's that have dropped into the 2nd round.

Either trade down or take a F.

True. Always BPA, but who’s to say that the BPA at 40 won’t be a dman?

Anyway, nevermind. I think I may have misinterpreted Vanilla’s comments (although in my defense, it was worded extremely poorly).

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Maybe it's just me but i still really like Robertson and Kolyachonok for D men at 40. Just no Vlasic, omg my heart would sink.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of intriguing forwards worth a risk at 40 too. I did not think Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink would be in the 2nd round, but they certainly aren't without their risk.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Maybe it's just me but i still really like Robertson and Kolyachonok for D men at 40. Just no Vlasic, omg my heart would sink.

But on the other hand, there are a lot of intriguing forwards worth a risk at 40 too. I did not think Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink would be in the 2nd round.
No interest in Korczak?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

But on the other hand, there are a lot of intriguing forwards worth a risk at 40 too. I did not think Kaliyev/Lavoie/Brink would be in the 2nd round, but they certainly aren't without their risk.

I'm okay with Robertson... but I am not a fan of Kolyachonok. I'd far far rather take Misyul but I agree I don't like Vlasic... even less than the other US Dev D-men Thun and Hellesson.

On forward Legare is another interesting option... but I think he's a step behind some of the others.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
No interest in Korczak?
No, i do, but i like those two more. If they are gone, it would mean some good forward options may be available as well. So i might consider F over Korczak at that point. I think Korczak has the tools and defensive mind to be an NHLer, and has under-rated offensive ability, but how high is his offense ability at the next level? I'm not sure. I think that holds me back a little, and might lean towards a forward at 40 with higher upside. Depends who is there.

Reactions: biturbo19

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
No, i do, but i like those two more. If they are gone, it would mean some good forward options may be available as well. So i might consider F over Korczak at that point. I think Korczak has the tools and defensive mind to be an NHLer, and has under-rated offensive ability, but how high is his offense ability at the next level? I'm not sure. I think that holds me back a little, and might lean towards a forward at 40 with higher upside. Depends who is there.
Will be interesting if either of your guys and Korczak are there if they prioritize handedness at all. If we do take Korczak, I really hope Thomson does go pro in Europe next year to give more ice to Korczak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad