NFL Draft: 2019 NFL Draft GDT

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Guys, the Giants were given a D+ in the latest draft grades. That's not a good grade.

Higher than they deserved. D- might be too generous as well.

They over drafted a QB by at least 30 picks, they took a DT when they needed an Edge rusher, & then neglected taking an OT until the 6th round. This is after drafting 4 CBs, not including taking Beal last year in the supplemental draft, which was essentially their 3rd rounder this year.

Jones may or not be any better than Josh Rosen, but I can't imagine Jones' ceiling is so much higher that you spend such significant draft capital to find out. Rosen could've easily been had for #37 or possibly some combination of #95 this year plus a 3rd or 4th in 2020.

Ask yourself if you would you rather have what they took in first round or

Josh Allen 6OA
Andre Dillard 17OA
Rosen trade for the 37 OA

I can't recall a time before this years draft where a team had 3 #1 picks in one year & it doesn't feel like they improved at all. There might be 2 teams this year, as the Raiders draft also looks really underwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
Higher than they deserved. D- might be too generous as well.

They over drafted a QB by at least 30 picks, they took a DT when they needed an Edge rusher, & then neglected taking an OT until the 6th round. This is after drafting 4 CBs, not including taking Beal last year in the supplemental draft, which was essentially their 3rd rounder this year.

Jones may or not be any better than Josh Rosen, but I can't imagine Jones' ceiling is so much higher that you spend such significant draft capital to find out. Rosen could've easily been had for #37 or possibly some combination of #95 this year plus a 3rd or 4th in 2020.

Ask yourself if you would you rather have what they took in first round or

Josh Allen 7OA
Andre Dillard 17OA
Rosen trade for the 37 OA

I can't recall a time before this years draft where a team had 3 #1 picks in one year & it doesn't feel like they improved at all. There might be 2 teams this year, as the Raiders draft also looks really underwhelming.

Admittedly it is nice to see the real truth emerge about how the Giants did. There is no sugarcoating this. The Giants 2019 draft was disastrous.

Sep 19, 2008
this rant is approaching Met "minah leaguers" level :laugh:

"you got a guy who be here next year with a clipboard" :laugh:

I don't have a problem with the Giants drafting QB. They need a successor to Eli. My issue is you drafted a bad QB at 6. Nearly every pundit had Jones going later. The Giants MASSIVELY overreached. This isn't up for debate. Many pundits smarter than me who actually follow this draft for a living thought Jones at 6 was a gigantic reach. If they draft Haskins I have no issue. Let Haskins sit and learn while Eli finishes his career.

I don't like how Mike doesn't like the QB pick. Eli needs a successor. Mike is like "they need a pass rushah" :laugh:

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I should have said this before, but the Skins took Haskins at 15 so it's not possible that 2 teams would have taken Jones before 17.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
This began last season.

1) Gettleman evaluated his team incorrectly. He thought they were capable of competing. He thought Eli was still a more than capable starting QB, even though his offensive line was disgustingly bad and he's anything but mobile.

2) He passed on Eli's successor in Sam Darnold to draft a RB. ... .a RB. Anyone who studies the modern game realizes that even if Barkley becomes the best RB of all-time, passing on a potential franchise QB is a massive mistake. The impact towards winning is incomparable. Barkley was phenomenal, and it made no difference.

3) Because he took a RB over a franchise QB, and they were predictably terrible in 2018, he now, after initially poorly assessing his roster, felt the need to reach significantly on a far inferior QB in this year's draft to fill the need that would've been filled FAR better in 2018. Everyone and their Grandma knew last year's QB class was miles better than 2019's.

It's all a domino effect. The Giants should honestly fire Gettleman now before it gets worse. I'm not a proponent of firing people so early, as I think continuity is vital in pro sports, but he's made a myriad of inexcusable decisions. Far too many, and now they're screwed unless an elite GM is brought in soon.

Sep 19, 2008
If you believe that Jones is a franchise QB, you take him at 6. If you don’t believe he is a franchise QB, you don’t take him at all.

So it was Jones at 6 or nothing. Clearly they believe he is a franchise QB.

In the 5 seasons prior to Gettleman being hired, the Giants went 33-47 and had zero playoff wins.

Does that not seem like something you want to take a torch to?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This began last season.

1) Gettleman evaluated his team incorrectly. He thought they were capable of competing. He thought Eli was still a more than capable starting QB, even though his offensive line was disgustingly bad and he's anything but mobile.

2) He passed on Eli's successor in Sam Darnold to draft a RB. ... .a RB. Anyone who studies the modern game realizes that even if Barkley becomes the best RB of all-time, passing on a potential franchise QB is a massive mistake. The impact towards winning is incomparable. Barkley was phenomenal, and it made no difference.

3) Because he took a RB over a franchise QB, and they were predictably terrible in 2018, he now, after initially poorly assessing his roster, felt the need to reach significantly on a far inferior QB in this year's draft to fill the need that would've been filled FAR better in 2018. Everyone and their Grandma knew last year's QB class was miles better than 2019's.

It's all a domino effect. The Giants should honestly fire Gettleman now before it gets worse. I'm not a proponent of firing people so early, as I think continuity is vital in pro sports, but he's made a myriad of inexcusable decisions. Far too many, and now they're screwed unless an elite GM is brought in soon.
Gettleman is just getting started. If you think the Giants are a dumpster fire now, just wait.

He's still living off the 2015 Panthers where players he didn't draft did all the heavy lifting that season. And he did an epic job of dismantling that team. He's literally on the Matt Millen level of incompetency while having one of the biggest egos in professional sports.

Reactions: Roman Fell and SnS

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
The Giants completely screwed up their first round picks but they had some nice value picks later in Julian Love, Darius Slayton and Corey Ballentine. Despite those picks I'd still say they had a terrible draft.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Quick Steelers thoughts:

Heavy price to trade up to get Bush. Big fan of the player though so it was worth.

The next handful of picks were pretty bad - Johnson, Layne, Snell & Gentry were not really guys I was a fan of. I liked some of the 7th rounder and UDFA's more than Snell & Gentry.

I did like their later picks, especially Buggs & Gray.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Gettleman is just getting started. If you think the Giants are a dumpster fire now, just wait.

He's still living off the 2015 Panthers where players he didn't draft did all the heavy lifting that season. And he did an epic job of dismantling that team. He's literally on the Matt Millen level of incompetency while having one of the biggest egos in professional sports.
What happens next season if the Giants land number 1 overall?
You pass on Tua or Fromm?
Crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad