Prospect Info: 2019 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #8

Prospect Ranking #8

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Woll and Scott belong together, wherever they are on the ranking. Both played for their national junior teams, both were successful at their last level. They are even a similar size. Which one stays with the Marlies and which one heads to the Rock will be one of the interesting questions for training camp.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
wow, that's the hot take of the week.

Brazeau will be lucky to make the NHL tbh.

Name me the last 60 goal OHL player that scored 30+ points more than his next highest scoring teammate that didn't go on to play in the NHL...

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Name me the last 60 goal OHL player that scored 30+ points more than his next highest scoring teammate that didn't go on to play in the NHL...

Name the last OHL player to put up the stat line you're looking for.

Keep in mind, should be comparing apples to apples and that player should be an OA.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Name the last OHL player to put up the stat line you're looking for.

Keep in mind, should be comparing apples to apples and that player should be an OA.

I made a post on the previous 10 60+ goal scorers: Only 3 of them were overagers. Chad LaRose had the closest numbers of that sample.

2019 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

What makes Brazeau's feat special was that he had no support around him.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
My next 5 would be; Scott, Korshkov, Hollowell, Lindgren, Kokkonen.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
My next 5 would be; Scott, Korshkov, Hollowell, Lindgren, Kokkonen.

Just curious, why would you put Hollowell ahead of the OHL's Overage Player of the Year?? They should at the very least be acknowledged in the same sentence.

Brazeau recieved 83 of a possible 95 points, whereas Hollowell had 27/95 points, and finished 3rd in voting.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Just curious, why would you put Hollowell ahead of the OHL's Overage Player of the Year?? They should at the very least be acknowledged in the same sentence.

Brazeau recieved 83 of a possible 95 points, whereas Hollowell had 27/95 points, and finished 3rd in voting.

Because I like Hollowell, so its personal bias.

Reactions: Havoc

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Hollowell also looked good in his Marlies playoff stint. I thought he'd have a hard time adjusting to the size/strength difference between the OHL/AHL, but it wasn't an issue.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I'm not even sure Brazeau should be in this poll. He's not on our reserve list at all. He's no different than a Brady Ferguson for example.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Seems like there is a Woll vs. Scott debate here. What Scott did was pretty amazing, but imo college is another level, so right now Woll has the upper hand because it is a little closer to the pro game. Junior is still junior.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Probably mostly because of potential.

It's "easy" to dominate the OHL when you have 6-8 inches and 50 pounds on everyone else. No surprise that the big strong guy can dominate. It's impressive when the smaller guy dominates and lights up the league.

Holowell has even more raw skill than Barzeau.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm not even sure Brazeau should be in this poll. He's not on our reserve list at all. He's no different than a Brady Ferguson for example.
I kind of agree. He's unique in the sense he was highly coveted and his contract was worth more than usual for an AHL deal. He does have a better chance at an ELC than some of the lower prospects and you could argue top-30 on the prospect list. But, I have never seen an AHL contract without previous affiliation with the team voted in on these polls before.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

:laugh:

Probably mostly because of potential.

It's "easy" to dominate the OHL when you have 6-8 inches and 50 pounds on everyone else. No surprise that the big strong guy can dominate. It's impressive when the smaller guy dominates and lights up the league.

Holowell has even more raw skill than Barzeau.

Its also easy to dominate the OHL when you have good support around you. Hollowell had a lot of good talent surrounding him. Brazeau was the good talent on North Bay.

I really trust Brock Otten's scouting reports. He puts out great content year after year. He's a fan of Brazeau:

1. Justin Brazeau - Forward - North Bay Battalion
Someone needs to sign this guy already. Two points back of Felhaber for the point lead (as I write this). Difference is that Felhaber gets a ton of support on one of the league's elite teams. Brazeau is, at times, a one man wrecking crew. Leads his team in goals by nearly 20 and points by over 25. All from a 6'6, 230lbs forward. Anyone who reads this blog knows how I feel about Brazeau. I've been lobbying for him since his original draft year. But the improvement since then has been astronomical. This is especially true for his skating. He's never going to be confused for Connor McDavid. His start-ups are still a little clunky. But his top speed has really improved, generating so much more power from his long strides and it's made him so hard to contain off the rush. I have seen him go through 2 or 3 defenders with ease because they just can't get the puck off him with his strength, reach, and stride power. And for as dominant as Brazeau is as a goal scorer, it has been his playmaking ability and vision that have really grown. He has become such a well rounded offensive player, the kind that makes any linemate better. At this point, it has to be a matter of when and not if, when talking about him signing an ELC.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I really trust Brock Oden's scouting reports. He puts out great content year after year. He's a fan of Brazeau:
Who? Can't even find a Twitter page for him.

Barzeau will likely have a long adjustment period as he learns that in the AHL/NHL, everyone is now as strong as him, and most skate better than him. All of a sudden he doesn't have a 50 pound advantage on on players 2,3,4 years younger than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad