Prospect Info: 2019 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

Prospect Ranking #6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure where I heard this, I'll dig around and try and find the source... but I thought there were a couple ELCs on the table, but he elected to sign the AHL to be developed by Toronto. Brazeau's agent was sold when Dubas re-afirmed him stating "If this guy doesn't play a game for the Toronto Maple Leafs, then we've failed".

Makes sense. He'd have had to sign a 3 year ELC anyways, and now when his AHL deal is done, he can sign for two, IIRC.

By The Athleteic's definition... Didn't they have a statement that he'd be top 10 if they considered him a prospect?

I'd love to read the article if you can dig it up. I honestly don't mind the player. If he cleans up his skating, I think he's a top 9 NHL player.

The Athletic said he would come in somewhere around #10, maybe higher, maybe lower.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'd love to read the article if you can dig it up. I honestly don't mind the player. If he cleans up his skating, I think he's a top 9 NHL player.

The Athletic said he would come in somewhere around #10, maybe higher, maybe lower.

I can't find any ELC information, so maybe I'm wrong about that... I might be thinking of the discussion in the Brazeau signing thread about how the AHL deal is essentially an ELC deal, when you play for the Marlies.

I think the Dubas quote is in this article, but I don't have access to the Athletic

How the Leafs acquired Justin Brazeau, a big kid from a...

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I can't find any ELC information, so maybe I'm wrong about that... I might be thinking of the discussion in the Brazeau signing thread about how the AHL deal is essentially an ELC deal, when you play for the Marlies.

I think the Dubas quote is in this article, but I don't have access to the Athletic

How the Leafs acquired Justin Brazeau, a big kid from a...

From that article in regards to contracts.

"Though the other team offered slightly more money on a two-year AHL contract, Brazeau and Walters ultimately settled on the Leafs in part because of the initiative of their general manager. Dubas was the only general manager of an NHL team that reached out personally."

The article also touches on the Leafs and their world class development program as you said, and was essentially the reason Brazeau chose the Leafs.

I found it funny that the other team in the running for Brazeau sent him a development plan that included a skating coach, which Brazeau would have to pay for himself and was 4 hours away. Sound exactly like Ottawa!

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

If that were true he would have signed an ELC somewhere in the league.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If that were true he would have signed an ELC somewhere in the league.

I'm not convinced that this is true. I think an AHL deal in Toronto can be more attractive than an ELC deal in Arizona to some prospects (just an example).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I like Brazeau, and probably would have him somewhere between 10-15, but I don't consider him a real prospect for us until I see at least one of:

a) an ELC
b) proving he's more than just an OA in the OHL, and showing to be a solid rookie in a pro league

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm not convinced that this is true. I think an AHL deal in Toronto can be more attractive than an ELC deal in Arizona to some prospects (just an example).

Yeah I read somewhere he passed up an ELC to have an AHL deal here because Dubas went to him directly (only GM to do that), came up with a full plan for the next 2-3 years, showed he knew him by talking about nourishing his strengths and helping his weaknesses, and said (dont quote me) "if you don't play in the NHL its a failure by us".

Sounds pretty good to me.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah I read somewhere he passed up an ELC to have an AHL deal here because Dubas went to him directly (only GM to do that), came up with a full plan for the next 2-3 years, showed he knew him by talking about nourishing his strengths and helping his weaknesses, and said (dont quote me) "if you don't play in the NHL its a failure by us".

Sounds pretty good to me.

It was always an AHL deal. This quote is from the same article that you mention Dubas stating "If you don't play an NHL game, we've failed"

"Though the other team offered slightly more money on a two-year AHL contract, Brazeau and Walters ultimately settled on the Leafs in part because of the initiative of their general manager. Dubas was the only general manager of an NHL team that reached out personally."

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Engvall again...
(Watches the tumbleweeds roll by)
..........@...............@.......................@................................@

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
It was always an AHL deal. This quote is from the same article that you mention Dubas stating "If you don't play an NHL game, we've failed"

What a GM.

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Brazeau played on bottom feeder team. Yeah hes been havn growth spruts hes whole career. It just leveled off in hes OA year. As a result he finally got a chance to get used to hes body. The result was 61 goals and 113 or so points. So...

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Brazeau played on bottom feeder team. Yeah hes been havn growth spruts hes whole career. It just leveled off in hes OA year. As a result he finally got a chance to get used to hes body. The result was 61 goals and 113 or so points. So...
We know he had a crazy year but he was an OA. We basically just have to see if his game will translate to the pros, and it wasn't a fluke year. He could easily be top 10 next year depending on this year.

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
We know he had a crazy year but he was an OA. We basically just have to see if his game will translate to the pros, and it wasn't a fluke year. He could easily be top 10 next year depending on this year.
How is 61 goals a fluke? He played on a shitty team and had the most goals in the Chl.

Reactions: MyBudJT

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
How is 61 goals a fluke? He played on a ****ty team and had the most goals in the Chl.

The fact that he scored 32 points (and 30 more goals) more than North Bay's 2nd highest scorer, and 48 points more than their 3rd highest scorer alone suggests that Brazeau had a quality season.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
How is 61 goals a fluke? He played on a ****ty team and had the most goals in the Chl.

The Leafs just traded for Aaron Luchuk, who had eerily similar numbers to Justin Brazeau. Led the entire OHL in scoring just last year. He struggled in his transition to the pro game, something that could very well happen to Brazeau, especially since his size/strength advantage won't be as prominent. Give it time.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
The Leafs just traded for Aaron Luchuk, who had eerily similar numbers to Justin Brazeau. Led the entire OHL in scoring just last year. He struggled in his transition to the pro game, something that could very well happen to Brazeau, especially since his size/strength advantage won't be as prominent. Give it time.
Aaron brings other things though, he has an incredible work ethic and is a natural leader.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I wish we would setup some standards when it comes to voting on prospects. The current system seems to be OK with the first couple picks, then it becomes a matter of the new shiny toy just drafted, or popular name. The current system almost always picks the flashy players over players that can make a NHL impact now.

What if the prospect voting was done on a weight system. For example..

- Most likely to make it to the NHL:
- Position or skill set need:
- Trade value
- Player ceiling
- Team (cap hit) impact
- Team (on the ice) impact
- ... and maybe a few more

Each category has a multiplier of importance based on where the organization is. For example a contending team would value an assets trade value or cap hit more importantly than on the ice impact as they are not NHL ready. A rebuilding team would have less concern about trade value, but value position and skill set need, as well as making it to the NHL.

I would like to think players like Moore, Engvall, or Marchment would show more value to the organization at this time, and then perhaps players like Scott and Woll value would change after 1 year in the AHL. Players like Robertson (aka shiny new toy) will be valued based more on ceiling and trade value.

This would almost need to be setup like a survey and perhaps this type of voting isn't possible on the HFboards, but I thought I would toss it out there regardless. I thought it would be nice to have more of a in depth organizational ranking look at prospects instead of the way it is done now.

Reactions: john medd

Olden

Nov 25, 2018

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Luchuk has had some real serious back issues is what happened.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
When ranking prospects all these things should be taken into account. Some people value different things higher than others. A lot of people also don't watch the European prospects enough to get a good enough handle on their ranking though. If we were to do the rankings after camp, after more people get to see the Euro prospects, these rankings would change a lot. Same thing with the goalies. After this year we will all have a better reading on where Woll and Scott are in their development and just how close both are to being NHL ready (less than 3 years away).

Prospects should be ranked based on top end potential relative to low end potential followed by how likely they are and how close they are to making the NHL. Players with a high ceiling and high floor should be at the top of a ranking, but players with a low ceiling and high floor will likely be lower as the potential return in the NHL is not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad