Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Leafs organization look at prospects the same way I think you are... we as fans are in big trouble. Marchment could definitely be in the top 5. He is one of the most NHL ready players. He is not a skilled player, but we don't need that right now in the top of the NHL line up. Those spots are taken.

We need some decent (low cost), hitting wingers on the 4th line. He fits a organization need. We just watch the Bruins 3rd and 4th lines out play ours in the playoffs. This kid brings it like Hyman does. I can see him making the NHL in the next year. I guess when I look at prospects, it's not just about skill, it's about being NHL ready, and filling the team need.

I guarantee Dubas doesn't look at prospects the way you look at them. Marchment is the type of player that can be found via free agency/PTO...and I would rather have a veteran in a 4th line role to provide leadership and experience for the younger players. The last thing the Leafs need is another early 20's player, especially one that can't contribute anything but a few hits a game.

Not sure if you've noticed, but management puts a premium on speed and skill and is flooding the prospect pool with these types of players. They realize 4th line grinders are a dime a dozen and are acquired easily. Skill is hard to find. This is the reason why Marchment shouldn't even sniff the top ten on the prospect list.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I guarantee Dubas doesn't look at prospects the way you look at them. Marchment is the type of player that can be found via free agency/PTO...and I would rather have a veteran in a 4th line role to provide leadership and experience for the younger players. The last thing the Leafs need is another early 20's player, especially one that can't contribute anything but a few hits a game.

Not sure if you've noticed, but management puts a premium on speed and skill and is flooding the prospect pool with these types of players. They realize 4th line grinders are a dime a dozen and are acquired easily. Skill is hard to find. This is the reason why Marchment shouldn't even sniff the top ten on the prospect list.
They had McBack Up Marlaeu and Hainsey the last few years now Spezza Some of these guys have already played over 200 games in the NHL the need for Vet on the 4th line is filled for a play off push or when injurys strike.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I liked the diverse skillset of Korshkov relative to other prospects and regulars in our system. I still think he pans out for us.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
There are not many players in the league left that play with Marchment's intensity night in and night out. If he ever developed enough offensively to play on the 3rd line he would be a pretty important piece.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I voted Lindgren, but I'm fine with Korshkov. He was my next so I'll just vote Lindgren again next time.

Hollowell is in a dogfight with Kivihalme, Engvall and SDA after that. I'd probably put him before SDA but after Kivihalme and Engvall, which makes him #14. That's fair given Kivihalme, Moore and Mikheyev are older guys in the mix right now.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
If the Leafs organization look at prospects the same way I think you are... we as fans are in big trouble. Marchment could definitely be in the top 5. He is one of the most NHL ready players. He is not a skilled player, but we don't need that right now in the top of the NHL line up. Those spots are taken.

We need some decent (low cost), hitting wingers on the 4th line. He fits a organization need. We just watch the Bruins 3rd and 4th lines out play ours in the playoffs. This kid brings it like Hyman does. I can see him making the NHL in the next year. I guess when I look at prospects, it's not just about skill, it's about being NHL ready, and filling the team need.
His skating makes him a project at best.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Korshkov*

Let's hear why he's not top-15?

he was ranked 21st on the top25 under 25 list and sure that would make him around the 14th or 15th spot removing some nhlers from the list.
no i havnt seen him play (like probably 99% of the ppl here) but looking at his numbers and scouting reports recently hes got a very low offensive upside. Sure with his size hes almost a shoe in to be a 3rd/4th liner.

but yeah your prob right at this point losing a couple of great prospects and a couple graduating he would be around 10 to 13. all in all i think the forward prospect pool is fairly week and most of the strength right now if with the defense and goalies.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
You're correct but he is intriguing enough of a piece. If someone made a big stink about adding some guy in a similar situation like for example a Brady Ferguson then I'd be open to it this year. But I doubt we will get anymore that aren't on ELC's added.

Oh my mistake. I'll just remove Moore now due to your opinion, despite the fact he is Calder eligible and meets rookie requirements just like OP states.

There's an article about Brazeau in the Athletic about how Dubas recruited him pretty heavily and how Brazeau specifically chose the Leafs organization over others. Dubas goes on to say, "if [Brazeau] never plays a game in the NHL, we've failed." So while he's not contractually a Leafs NHL prospect, for all other purposes, and for this year, he is. Keeping him on is the right call IMO.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
he was ranked 21st on the top25 under 25 list and sure that would make him around the 14th or 15th spot removing some nhlers from the list.
no i havnt seen him play (like probably 99% of the ppl here) but looking at his numbers and scouting reports recently hes got a very low offensive upside. Sure with his size hes almost a shoe in to be a 3rd/4th liner.

but yeah your prob right at this point losing a couple of great prospects and a couple graduating he would be around 10 to 13. all in all i think the forward prospect pool is fairly week and most of the strength right now if with the defense and goalies.

His stats are actually pretty decent when comparing to other guys his age (or younger). His problem is he can't seem to stay healthy, and I agree his upside isn't massive. I do think he's a fairly safe bet to be an NHL'er in some capacity though.

Otherwise, I don't agree our pool is weak. I don't think we have any potential stars in it (barring Liljegren, Sandin, Bracco, Robertson, Kokkonen having crazy breakouts), but I do believe we have about 15+ players that could be decent NHL'ers some day (not all with the Leafs). Not a lot of teams have the prospect depth we do, especially at defense.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I voted Lindgren, but I'm fine with Korshkov. He was my next so I'll just vote Lindgren again next time.

Hollowell is in a dogfight with Kivihalme, Engvall and SDA after that. I'd probably put him before SDA but after Kivihalme and Engvall, which makes him #14. That's fair given Kivihalme, Moore and Mikheyev are older guys in the mix right now.

I can't wait for Jesper Lindgren to blow people away in the AHL this season, and wonder where he came from.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Yes good post. That is why I mentioned Marchment as Top 5. Marchment is the type of guy they need. Grit, 6-4 agitator, good motor., who finishes his checks, screens the tendy. Another man willing to win battles in tough spots. Marchment's development curve over the last 2 years is very positive.

Reactions: Terrible GM

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Korshkov was a higher pick and the shiny new toy but Engvall is a better skater and scorer with more upside.

And may very likely be a full time center for the Marlies this year and score 2x the points that Korshkov does. Engvall is just about Baked. Korshkov, if he does make it, is at least a couple years away.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes

I agree with you on what management is putting a premium on (specially drafting), but right now, at this moment, Marchment is a player that could make the leap before many skilled prospects have room to make the jump. Yes grit players and pluggers can be picked up via UFA, but most are too old or player for that second chance to recapture something (like Ennis did). Those players are being paid low dollars for a reason. Players like Marchment allows the organization to put a player on the ice knowing what he brings and give financial stability for 2 or 3 years. Either method can work. Doesn't change the value he can have on the 4th line if a decent UFA can not be found.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Besides me having Mikheyev 2 spots lower the list so far is exactly like mine. Based on the votes however that's gonna change real soon as it looks like I'm the high guy on Brooks as I have him at 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad