GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merrills Marauders

Jul 20, 2011
New Jersey
Here’s a google translate regarding Bratt leaving today, doesn’t sound like it’s serious:

Therefore, the Three Kronor-forward canceled: "Felt more and more"
There were only two periods for Jesper Bratt against Italy. Due to a bang, the forward could not continue to play.
- We took it safe before the uncertain, says Tre Kronor's doctor Peter Ström.
BRATISLAVA (HOCKEYSVERIGE.SE)
After two periods, Tre Kronor had 2–0 against Italy. But in the third, it became the plug clock for Sweden that eventually won with 8–0.
But a little worrying was that Jesper Bratt didn't come to the game for the last 20 minutes. The forward, everyday in the New Jersey Devils, got a bang that forced him to break the match.
- He went on a tackle and got a bang against the upper body. He felt it more and more in the other. Then we opted for third that it is better that he gets rest, we took it safe before the uncertain, says Peter Ström, doctor in Tre Kronor.
Already tomorrow is a new match when Sweden meets Norway at 20:15. The question is whether Bratt can play already then.
- I think this will be pretty quick. But we'll see tomorrow. We take one day at a time, but everything looks promising.
On his two periods against Italy, Jesper Bratt with an assist.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
There’s nothing wrong with factoring it into the decision. It might not be the sole factor, but it matters, otherwise why play it?
well according to Jack he only played for the experience. He KNOWS hes going 1st because Jacks dad spilled the beans after talking to Ray

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Accumulation records aren't something that we should be celebrating in this instance in my opinion. I would've preferred to see him go on to something bigger.

Many players don't play two years of U18...so those accumulation records are meaningless. No doubt he had a great tournament but I am not sure how much it means in the overall analysis.
f***ing Jack, how dare he work with whats given due to his age. He should have been born earlier!

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think those two issues you touched on run a little deeper than your analysis.

First, it may be true that Hughes didn't take a huge step he still put up way over 2 points per game. That's dominant plain and simple and I don't think he should be docked for being a dominant player as a 16 year old. He put up 112 points in 50 games. So would you like for him to take a step forward, sure, but how much better can you expect from that type of performance over a whole season? I think short of doing something similar to Kane or Matthews, there just wasn't a ton of room for growth where he was playing. Pronman said that Hughes (and the whole US team really) were not challenged enough and to me it seems pretty clear that Hughes was toying with his food. If he should be criticized for anything I think it's the fact that he stayed with the program when he could have gone to the CHL where it would be easier to measure him, but in terms of on-ice play, I don't think you can criticize him too much. I also don't think his situation is comparable to Patrick's at all. Patrick put up pretty good numbers over less than half a season, Hughes put up dominant numbers over a whole season.

Second, Hughes may not have had the best moment in the tournament like Kakko, but in reality he only put up one point less than him and had a higher ppg. If you ask me Kakko did upstage him, but I don't think his performance was lackluster. Plus you also have to factor in that both US teams (Junior and World Championships) were a little deeper than Finaland and Kakko played a bigger role.
to note, the US development program is a MUCH better option for actual development of a players skills than the CHL. Thats why he chose to stay (plus being able to when most cant). Sure wed have gotten better judgement as per competition with a CHL season but its almost impossible to blame Jack for staying when almost anyone would recommend so. With his skill level and the speed he already plays with id rather he fine tunes skills instead of trying to compare himself to better competition.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nico:

giphy.gif

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Everytime I watch a European sporting event the crowd sounds like it's an Iron Maiden concert.

Like this

I made a comment similar to this one to a Swiss friend of mine when the Devils were over there. His response was something along the lines of "in America sports are entertainment, in Europe it's a lifestyle."

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
That's correct, we do not eat popcorn at the hockey game.
After experiencing football matches in Europe, North American sports just seem tame.

Their are some pros and cons though.

If you want to have a nice time with your family and kids then NA sporting events are better. If you want to have a crazy experience that you'll never forget then the European sporting events are the way to go.

I have an ex from europe and I took her to a hockey game in the states and she couldn't believe that they allowed fans from both teams to sit near each other and that there was no police in riot gear in the stadium incase things got out of hand.

kidkosher

Nov 21, 2016
After experiencing football matches in Europe, North American sports just seem tame.

Their are some pros and cons though.

If you want to have a nice time with your family and kids then NA sporting events are better. If you want to have a crazy experience that you'll never forget then the European sporting events are the way to go.

I have an ex from europe and I took her to a hockey game in the states and she couldn't believe that they allowed fans from both teams to sit near each other and that there was no police in riot gear in the stadium incase things got out of hand.

As a weak wuss I kind of appreciate it lol

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
to note, the US development program is a MUCH better option for actual development of a players skills than the CHL. Thats why he chose to stay (plus being able to when most cant). Sure wed have gotten better judgement as per competition with a CHL season but its almost impossible to blame Jack for staying when almost anyone would recommend so. With his skill level and the speed he already plays with id rather he fine tunes skills instead of trying to compare himself to better competition.
That's fair, plus it's hard to argue that it's hurt his draft position.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is the 2019 draft, not the 2017 draft. Just because Nico had a great tournament and ended up being taken #1 overall doesn't mean history will or should repeat itself with Kakko. Besides, if we're going to keep up with this pointless comparison between the two drafts, the best player in the draft may end up going after the top 2 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad