GDT: 2019 IIHF World Championship II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I still think it was in the first game. He came out flying took a big hot behind the net, and suddenly seemed to get a lot less ice time. Not sure if he got hurt or the coach made the decision.

he took a big hot what behind the net? if he shat the ice, it’s no wonder his playing time has dropped significantly. you can’t do that

Reactions: FVM

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Or he just isn’t ready yet to make an impact? Stop making excuses for him, his day will come where he is the go to option for the men’s team USA.

We all make fun of the playing against men thing but this tournament has proven it to be a little true. He just isn’t there yet physically but like I said before that’s ok. When he gets his man strength it’s over
Making excuses? The kid is falling down every shift, clearly something isnt normal

You know you can talk about a player and have concerns without having to give a f*** about his perception to others. Because who exactly am I making excuses to?

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Sure but Kaakko will be great too and he seems to be the better player now. Why is it such a foregone conclusion to take Hughes? We have the choice, why don't we take our time? I really don't get it.
because one is a winger and one is a center

we the potential elite, cap controlled center, unless you wanna take the gamble that zacha succeeds at the 2C spot.

or unless you want to bid big money on a free agent C

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
It is also entirely possible Hughes is not playing because they see he’s hit a wall.
There isn’t a whole lot happening for either team, he isn’t playing on the PP, and he played maybe 5 minutes in the first two periods combined? Maybe not even. Not in a position to succeed.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

we the potential elite, cap controlled center, unless you wanna take the gamble that zacha succeeds at the 2C spot.

Yeah if you’re picking a winger over a center the dude better be Gordie Howe, or Ovi. Maybe Kakko will be that but we can’t be sure yet.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Kinda wish Jack didnt play in this tournament, bet he's thinking the same thing right now too
Doubt it. Hes probably had great conversations with his teammates and the coaches, he gets the NHL-like media experience, and he gets to hangout with his brother.

Im sure hes having a blast outside of playing four minutes haha

Reactions: OmNomNom

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011

Uh that should not be the reason why we draft Hughes.

And Shero basically telling everyone we'll draft Hughes is the thing I have a big problem with. No reason for that. Hughes is a great player but honestly, Kaakko is just as good and bringing the physical tools as well. He seems like a guy that can take over games not only with his skill but his physical presence and you need that in the playoffs.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
That's what my deleted post about reality meant(it wasn't meant to be trolling). He's playing against adults now and hasn't been able to adapt his game (yet).
Except it has nothing to do with men and more to do with conditioning and having traveled thousands of miles and played an entire tournament before this

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
as fun as the hughes kakko debate will be. real debate is what to do about cory if he isn't any better this coming season what do you do with the guy? thats a lot of pressure for blackwood

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ill ask though - if hes hit a wall what will his times be throughout the later games? And if they go far?

4 minutes through two and a quarter periods is real low

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Uh that should not be the reason why we draft Hughes.

And Shero basically telling everyone we'll draft Hughes is the thing I have a big problem with. No reason for that. Hughes is a great player but honestly, Kaakko is just as good and bringing the physical tools as well. He seems like a guy that can take over games not only with his skill but his physical presence and you need that in the playoffs.
and why not? Center is a really important position

and the whole physical tools argument is how we got zacha in the first place. i do agree size is important but we can get that on the wing. you can't pass up on an elite center with kane's potential

i could make your same argument and say "kakko is a great player, but honestly, hughes is just as good and brings elite vision and hands as well. he seems like a guy who can take over games not only with that elite skill but his skating and spacing and passing (like barzal or kane) and you need that in the playoffs"

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
and why not? Center is a really important position

and the whole physical tools argument is how we got zacha in the first place. i do agree size is important but we can get that on the wing. you can't pass up on an elite center with kane's potential

i could make your same argument and say "kakko is a great player, but honestly, hughes is just as good and brings elite vision and hands as well. he seems like a guy who can take over games not only with that elite skill but his skating and spacing and passing (like barzal or kane) and you need that in the playoffs"

Sure you can. But then you look at what each Player did (record breaking seasons) and what they're doing now and with Kaakko you can see his big potential right now, because he can absolutely skate with the big boys whereas Hughes is a total project.

I just hope we didn't make our choice too early.

Reactions: Horus

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That little backhand pass on the fly by Hughes is just crazy. He didn’t even look and he put it on the tape.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Sure you can. But then you look at what each Player did (record breaking seasons) and what they're doing now and with Kaakko you can see his big potential right now, because he can absolutely skate with the big boys whereas Hughes is a total project.

I just hope we didn't make our choice too early.
for the bolded: lol wtf? sorry but this makes me dismiss anything you're saying right now. by your logic, hughes would be a 7th round pick

----

hughes has played 4 minutes this game

finns don't have as much depth and are bein coached much better than the US is - you must be able to see the US is playing as a team, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad