Rumor: 2019 Free Agent Tranquility Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's a good chance they keep the top line together to start the season, but I don't think it's lock. I think Bednar just said it that way because everyone knows how good the top line was, and that the depth was hurting behind them.

Sakic alluded to the Jost-Kadri-Bura second line as well, but that's just an early idea on paper. Doesn't mean it'll end up playing out like that.

I think those are most likely how the top two lines look to start the season, but lines are formulated in training camp and pre-season, not in the summer.

Reactions: Makar to MacK

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just don’t see the point in separating the top line if we finally have the options to make a solid 2nd line. Obviously if the 2nd line struggles than mess with the lines, but keep the best line in hockey together as long as you can.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
You mean sauna?
No need for old Bob here. My info comes straight from the fountain.

Here is another piece of information for you slackers:
If Sakic stops lowballing Rants Bednar's plan is to go like this:

Landy-Mac-xxx
xxx-Kadri-Rants

You are welcome

Appreciate the info. Ideally, we’d be able to split up 9296 to balance the scoring and then bring them back together for PP1.

But I’m very hesitant to break up 9296. MacK needs Landy’s defensive presence and Mikko assisted on MacK’s first 18 goals last season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
My issue isn't with Joe paying up for a 2nd line winger, it's with paying up for someone like Bura who is a big risk to actually be that 2nd line winger.

The conversation would be completely different had we overpaid for a Zucker / Shaw / Kessel / Rakell, who we could at least be certain filled a top 6 spot...even if the best we could do was a Shaw type 2nd-line-only guy. If that was the case, I'd be in complete agreement with you on this, but as is, we overpaid to fill a need AND there's a very real possibility that we didn't even fill that need.

Which isn't to say it can't work out when we have the benefit of hindsight; but that gets into questions of results-vs-process.

Heck, I wanted Ferland and keep the picks.

But again, when a team is in the position the Avs were in, in regards to need and what’s in the system, they probably had to overpay or take risk. Which is probably what they did.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Appreciate the info. Ideally, we’d be able to split up 9296 to balance the scoring and then bring them back together for PP1.

But I’m very hesitant to break up 9296. MacK needs Landy’s defensive presence and Mikko assisted on MacK’s first 18 goals last season.
36w939.gif

My guess is Sakic must think this magic is too important for our success.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Heck, I wanted Ferland and keep the picks.

But again, when a team is in the position the Avs were in, in regards to need and what’s in the system, they probably had to overpay or take risk. Which is probably what they did.
Sometimes overpaying with draft picks is better than overpaying in AAV or term (especially for injury-prone players like Ferland)...

Reactions: Youngblood29

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just don’t see the point in separating the top line if we finally have the options to make a solid 2nd line. Obviously if the 2nd line struggles than mess with the lines, but keep the best line in hockey together as long as you can.

It depends on the chemistry of that second line. I think the second line will have to be really bad and not click together at all in camp for Bednar to break up the top line, but if the second line struggles in the first couple weeks, I don't think it'll take too long for Bednar to shuffle things up.

They want to pile up points next year early, and avoid having to battle their way into the playoffs on the bubble again. Not just to get the higher end, but I think Sakic probably wants to be in a solid position so he can make an aggressive deadline deal.

I think the first move Bednar will try is to swap Bura with Mikko. Bednar tried all kinds of guys of Nate's wing, I'm sure it won't take him long to try Burakovsky there if they're not getting enough secondary scoring early on next year.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Except.... Nobody has these expectations.

Since you're obviously talking about me without being willing to respond directly to me as I'm the only one here right now even suggesting Burakovsky could "breakout" with the Avs(If you want to call going from a ~35 point guy to a 45 point guy as breaking out).

I've made it clear countless times in these discussions that I'm not coming out and saying Burakovsky will hit 40+ points and that he's this great underrated player. All I have said is that the stats at least point to the possibility of an increased role and increased opportunity lends to the potential for him to surprise us and hit 45 points.

Not to mention it is a very different situation to Kerfoot. The conversation regarding Kerfoot is all about advanced stats painting him to be good defensively when we all know he isn't. Nothing in the Burakovsky conversation is about truly advanced stats right now, certainly not in the same way Leafs fans have been trying to use them to suggest Kerfoot is a good player.
I honestly feel the same way about Bura and think he can do great things with more playing time and better line mates. Your not alone PH even if I'm not voicing it often. I throw likes your way often lol. Preach on brother! :bow: I made an @$$ of myself awhile back so I've been cutting back on my posting:baghead:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I agree but you're undoubtedly going to see all kinds of line matchups. For example, Landeskog-Kadri-Compher/Donskoi would be a bear of a second-line for other teams to deal with. I'm not saying all the time as I prefer keeping Landeskog with MacKinnon. But JB will undoubtedly try that line combo.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I personally want Donskoi up top with Nate and Mikko. Donskoi is streaky as hell but the negatives would have no choice but to balance out playing with those two studs. He went nearly 40 games without a goal at one point last season. That’s pretty much impossible with 29 and 96. There was a stint on January where Donskoi scored 8 goals in 7 games.

The scoring ability is there. He just needs to find consistency. I’d like to give him a shot.

In addition, I hate the thought of Jost on the wing. He’s struggled there every single time he’s played there.

Here’s my preferred lineup before ever actually seeing how this group plays together.

Donskoi Mackinnon Rantanen
Landeskog Kadri Compher
Burakovsky Jost Wilson
Nieto Bellemare/Kam Calvert

I know we won’t see this. Sakic is going to request Bednar play Burakovsky high on the lineup for at least the first month. But this is the way I’d like to spread things around.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I personally want Donskoi up top with Nate and Mikko. Donskoi is streaky as hell but the negatives would have no choice but to balance out playing with those two studs. He went nearly 40 games without a goal at one point last season. That’s pretty much impossible with 29 and 96. There was a stint on January where Donskoi scored 8 goals in 7 games.

The scoring ability is there. He just needs to find consistency. I’d like to give him a shot.

In addition, I hate the thought of Jost on the wing. He’s struggled there every single time he’s played there.

Here’s my preferred lineup before ever actually seeing how this group plays together.

Donskoi Mackinnon Rantanen
Landeskog Kadri Compher
Burakovsky Jost Wilson
Nieto Bellemare/Kam Calvert

I know we won’t see this. Sakic is going to request Bednar play Burakovsky high on the lineup for at least the first month. But this is the way I’d like to spread things around.
I like your idea with Donskoi. I think he has the speed and skill to keep up with Mackinnon and Rantanen offensively, while also providing the checking and defensive qualities that they lack.

Having Donskoi on the first line would have the added benefit of pairing Kadri and Landeskog together, and I think that pair would be perfect to get the best out of Burakovsky (yes, I think he belongs on a scoring line).

Donskoi ----- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Landeskog ------Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Wilson ---------- Jost ---------- Compher
Nieto -------- Bellemare ------- Calvert
(Kamenev)
As a minor point, I don't think it's a case of Bellemare or Kamenev at 4C. Rather, I think Bellemare will be the 4C by default whenever he's healthy, because he's been brought in to play a very specific role with heavy defensive minutes and as a guy who's great at PK and faceoffs. If Kamenev is taking any center spot it would be 3C.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I like your idea with Donskoi. I think he has the speed and skill to keep up with Mackinnon and Rantanen offensively, while also providing the checking and defensive qualities that they lack.

Having Donskoi on the first line would have the added benefit of pairing Kadri and Landeskog together, and I think that pair would be perfect to get the best out of Burakovsky (yes, I think he belongs on a scoring line).

Donskoi ----- Mackinnon ----- Rantanen
Landeskog ------Kadri -------- Burakovsky
Wilson ---------- Jost ---------- Compher
Nieto -------- Bellemare ------- Calvert
(Kamenev)
As a minor point, I don't think it's a case of Bellemare or Kamenev at 4C. Rather, I think Bellemare will be the 4C by default whenever he's healthy, because he's been brought in to play a very specific role with heavy defensive minutes and as a guy who's great at PK and faceoffs. If Kamenev is taking any center spot it would be 3C.

I think they might use Bura at the top and Donskoi on the 2nd based on their shooting. It also adds more offensive skill on the top and defensive on each line. Bellemare on a cheap deal will be rotating with Kamenev to give him time after 2 years of injuries to prove himself.

Bura - Mack - Rants
Landy - Kadri - Donskoi
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Neito - Bellemare - Calvert
Kamenev

If Bura and Donskoi reaches their potential along with Bowers, Kaut and Newhook coming in the next 2 years, this lineup would be more ridiculously talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad