Confirmed Signing with Link: 2019 Free Agency Mega-Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The League rules says a team must have a minimum of 3 goalies signed at a given time, and CBJ only had 2 for this upcoming season, so they needed to sign one more before their current ones hit free agency on July 1.

Mzerlikins was going to be signed anyway, but its an interesting rule that does not often get looked at.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Two more per EP that I missed yesterday

UFA D Egor Yakovlev, who played last season for New Jersey, has signed with Magnitogorsk of the KHL

Also F Jens Looke, who played last season for Tucson of the AHL while under contract to Arizona, has signed with Timrå of the Allsvenskan for 19-20. Looke is not listed as a RFA on any of the various cap sites, so I’m not sure if this is a loan situation or something else.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Two more per EP that I missed yesterday

UFA D Egor Yakovlev, who played last season for New Jersey, has signed with Magnitogorsk of the KHL

Also F Jens Looke, who played last season for Tucson of the AHL while under contract to Arizona, has signed with Timrå of the Allsvenskan for 19-20. Looke is not listed as a RFA on any of the various cap sites, so I’m not sure if this is a loan situation or something else.

Emil Johansson also left the Bruins organization for Sweden, despite still having another year left to his NHL contract.

Nugget910

Oct 4, 2017
Looks like Connor Jones is leaving Bridgeport for Thurgau of the Swiss League. Seen it on elite prospects.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Per Elite Prospects

UFA F Maximilian Kammerer, who played for Hershey of the AHL while under contract to Washington before having his contract terminated, has signed with Düsseldorf of Germany.

UFA G Joe Cannata, who played mostly for Utah of the ECHL while under contract to Colorado, has signed with Bjorkloven of Sweden.

RFA F Henrik Haapala, who played last season for Lugano of the NLA while under contract to Florida, has signed with Jokerit of the KHL.

EP also confirmed the signing of Igor Ozhiganov with Kazan of the KHL (And JUST as I figured out how to spell his name!)

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
The former Group II restricted free agents will become Group III unrestricted free agents having turned 27 years of age before July 1, 2019.

Linden Vey, Calgary, RFA in 2017
Louis-Marc Aubry, Detroit, RFA in 2016
Johan Gustafsson, Minnesota, RFA in 2015
Taylor Aronson, Nashville, RFA in 2016
Roman Lyubimov, Philadelphia, RFA in 2017
Jani Hakanpaa, St. Louis, RFA in 2015
Teemu Pulkkinen, Vegas, RFA in 2018
Philip Holm, Vegas, RFA in 2018
Beau Bennett, St. Louis, RFA in 2018

I didn't include the restricted free agents from 2018 in my original post.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The former Group II restricted free agents will become Group III unrestricted free agents having turned 27 years of age before July 1, 2019.
Linden Vey, Calgary, RFA in 2017
Louis-Marc Aubry, Detroit, RFA in 2016
Johan Gustafsson, Minnesota, RFA in 2015
Taylor Aronson, Nashville, RFA in 2016
Roman Lyubimov, Philadelphia, RFA in 2017
Jani Hakanpaa, St. Louis, RFA in 2015

this is regarding "defected players" who had been made 'Qualifying Offers" when their NHL deals ended, but who have not been playing on NHL contracts, correct?

are there other class(es) of players also affected by this age limit?

[re my NYR, so this is why their exclusive NHL rights to Carl Klingberg expired last summer?
and for (Danish F) Nicklas Jensen, will expire in '20, while he plays out his extension w Jokerit?]

smsgtkvv

May 30, 2003
South Hill
Visit site
this is regarding "defected players" who had been made 'Qualifying Offers" when their NHL deals ended, but who have not been playing on NHL contracts, correct?

are there other class(es) of players also affected by this age limit?

[re my NYR, so this is why their exclusive NHL rights to Carl Klingberg expired last summer?
and for (Danish F) Nicklas Jensen, will expire in '20, while he plays out his extension w Jokerit?]

These players contracts expired but they did not sign their qualifying offers giving the teams rights until the player turns 27 years old. They aren't considered defected which is defined as (1) not having fulfilled their contracts, or (2) never had a contract. The CBA says that a "player who plays out his final season and enters into a contract for a period including the following season with an unaffiliated club or with any other professional hockey club shall not be deemed to be a "Defected Player".

Carl Klingberg's contract expired in 2015 and was given a qualifying offer by the Rangers and became a Group II restricted free agent. He turned 27 years old on January 28, 2018, and became a Group III unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2018.

Nick Jensen is a Group II restricted free agent and will turn 27 years old next March. If he remains unsigned with the Rangers, he will be a Group III unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2020.

Last edited:

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Thank you!
So please, if not too much to ask, what is an actual example, or description, of a defected player?
I have obviously misunderstood that, I believe I had read it used in that incorrect way somewhere, at some point .. thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad