2019 for Disney a historic dominance of box office

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The point is that in some regions there might be more/better stuff available, thus reducing the number of people dropping Netflix.
It will still slow subscriber growth and if growth stays under expectations for an extended time, then there could be big issues.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It will still slow subscriber growth and if growth stays under expectations for an extended time, then there could be big issues.

Their losses are due to high investments in new content, which should help them find new customers.

I also suspect that as the industry consolidates, that they'll be buying one of the studios for their content library.

Honestly, I think the next 10 years will see such a drastic shift in the industry that things may be unrecognizable. Whatever debt Netflix is carrying likely won't matter as they have a market cap exceeding that of all the studios except Disney.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
They just paid like 500 million for Seinfield but losing Friends. It's nuts Seinfield is still bringing in that type of coin many years later.
Friends and The Office.

We'll have to wait and see who is left standing at the end of the streaming wars.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Their losses are due to high investments in new content, which should help them find new customers.

I also suspect that as the industry consolidates, that they'll be buying one of the studios for their content library.

Honestly, I think the next 10 years will see such a drastic shift in the industry that things may be unrecognizable. Whatever debt Netflix is carrying likely won't matter as they have a market cap exceeding that of all the studios except Disney.

They are not losing money though, that's what I don't think people understand on here regardless of debt brought on. In Q2 they lost some domestic subscribers vs. forecast.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Friends and The Office.

We'll have to wait and see who is left standing at the end of the streaming wars.

Meh they have them for so many years I don't really care. I'm running with Netflix, Hulu, Prime and HBO(Free for ATT cell customers) If there is not something to watch between the four there is an issue.

I think NBC/Comcast is launching it's own streaming site next year so Friends will likely end up there, however they will also be in control of Hulu so it should be interesting. We basically are going back to channels but streaming.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Meh they have them for so many years I don't really care. I'm running with Netflix, Hulu, Prime and HBO(Free for ATT cell customers) If there is not something to watch between the four there is an issue.

I think NBC/Comcast is launching it's own streaming site next year so Friends will likely end up there, however they will also be in control of Hulu so it should be interesting. We basically are going back to channels but streaming.

I think someone like you will be in the minority of having many different streaming services. We'll see though.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Disney are yet to incorporate the Fantastic Fours and the X-Men into the MCU + they have not really expended the Star Wars universe yet.

They have a multi-channel approach and films are just one of the channels.

Disney will be fine for a VERY VERY VERY long time without having to add more IPs... and they surely will.

What many people fail to realize is that, for Disney, it is not about films it is about creating brands. Brands that they can leverage as films, shows, comic books, video games, toys, etc. Hell, licensing is probably more profitable than movies for them.

In other words, they don't care about nerds complaining about their movies as long as little girls ask Mom and Dad for a Rey costume for Halloween, a Captain Marvel doll for Christmas and Disney+ to watch Frozen. In business terms; customer lifetime value.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
They are not losing money though, that's what I don't think people understand on here regardless of debt brought on. In Q2 they lost some domestic subscribers vs. forecast.

I had thought they were running losses due to high investments in the new programming, but looking it up, they're running some healthy profits considering. I think I'm confusing the with ones of the other tech companies though.

I don't think the debt is an issue at all for a company with high net worth.

https://phys.org/news/2018-10-netflix-surges-user-gains-strong.html

As for someone's comment above that people won't have multiple streaming services, it seems most people do get access to multiple

And the average American subscriber watches 3.4 services. For each one, they pay an average $8.53 per month

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I think someone like you will be in the minority of having many different streaming services. We'll see though.

Off topic but I'll run out on the limb and say in the next 10 years Cable TV will be almost dead. (at least in its current form)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's actually fairly cheap if you have been paying for cable or direct tv over the years.
Not from cost, but the average person isn't going to keep up with all the different services. I know it's not hard and it's easy for many, but the average consumer is more simple.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
Good article by Ben Thompson on the future of tv/cable/streaming. A few months old but still relevant. Times are a changin'.

Disney and the Future of TV

I first saw Thompson on Leo Laporte's This Week in Tech podcast. I liked him enough to follow his blog since.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
By a couple seconds? It really depends on what service. My ATT streaming service was ahead of Direct TV.

Live radio is fastest, live tv is a few seconds behind and live streaming depends I guess on the service. Our national broadcasting corporations streaming service's live streams are about 20-40 seconds behind the tv (checked this just recently during the WJC). I've read Viaplay users complain about Viasat users spoiling the score on EPL broadcasts. :laugh: And we definitely have good internet over here.

Last edited:
Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Live radio is fastest, live tv is a few seconds behind and live streaming depends I guess on the service. Our nationa brocasting corporations streaming service's live streams are about 20-40 seconds behind the tv (checked this just recently during the WJC). I've read Viaplay users complain about Viasat users spoiling the score on EPL broadcasts. :laugh: And we definitely have good internet over here.
I have AT&T TV NOW with Google Fiber high speed and it's probably around 30 seconds+ delayed, although my tvs connect wirelessly and not direct to ethernet.

I'd watch my wife during the Blues penalty kills in the Finals as she was on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagoskycam

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I don't know if I've ever watched a live streaming service that was actually live. Usually 30 seconds to a minute behind, if not more.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I have AT&T TV NOW with Google Fiber high speed and it's probably around 30 seconds+ delayed, although my tvs connect wirelessly and not direct to ethernet.

I'd watch my wife during the Blues penalty kills in the Finals as she was on Twitter.

30 seconds is not bad, however ATT NOW really jacked their rates to where regular Direct TV is about the same price and even cheaper with certain promos. I'm really not sure what the hell ATT is doing.

Also, if you have ATT Cell unlimited you get WATch TV for free which is like 30 channels. It's so confusing as ATT now has like four different tv platforms going on. I'm using IPTV for live TV now pretty much

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
30 seconds is not bad, however ATT NOW really jacked their rates to where regular Direct TV is about the same price and even cheaper with certain promos. I'm really not sure what the hell ATT is doing.

Also, if you have ATT Cell unlimited you get WATch TV for free which is like 30 channels. It's so confusing as ATT now has like four different tv platforms going on. I'm using IPTV for live TV now pretty much
Yeah, I'm switching, just have to sit down and figure which one I'm going to.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00