Cut/Released: 2019 Final Cuts thread

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
First round bust Treadwell also gone. The warning signs were there after his very first season but you obviously have to give players more than one year to show what they can do. I didn't need to see anything else after his second season though. The primary focus is lack of speed and separation but he still can't run clean routes and drops passes as well. He's awful at everything but gunner on special teams.

He was never the same after that brutal injury at Ole Miss.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Feels like there's about 20 waiver claims today looking at twitter...

One of them was not the Jets 2019 3rd rounder, Jachai Polite. Woof.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hope Vedvik kills it like Carlson has in Oakland.
How many kickers 25 and under are still with the team they signed with coming out of college?

Not many. Seems most guys need to learn how to handle the adversity and pressure of missing kicks early in their career. Sometimes patience is required for young kickers. But for a team like Minnesota who saw Walsh shank a game winning kick in the playoffs seeing your young drafted kicker miss kicks early continues that frustration and they are more quick to pull the plug.

Kickers average 2-3 FGA per game so 35-40 attempts per year. Plus with 33 yard PAT, that’s another 35-40 attempts. So you’re looking at 70 - 80 kicks a year. Expect PAT conversions to be higher as most FGA will be longer than 33 yards.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Feels like there's about 20 waiver claims today looking at twitter...

One of them was not the Jets 2019 3rd rounder, Jachai Polite. Woof.
Claimed by Seattle. You know there's a tough conversation happening with the Jets today.

Who brought in Vedvik.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Wow I remember Polite being touted as a potential late first by some of the heads. Wonder if he has a shitty attitude to be let go so quickly.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wow I remember Polite being touted as a potential late first by some of the heads. Wonder if he has a ****ty attitude to be let go so quickly.

There were concerns about him around the combine when he showed up out of shape and apparently did awful in interviews so he dropped to the 3rd round and apparently he kept screwing up even after that:

So why did the Jets cut the cord on 2019 third-round draft pick Jachai Polite? While his on-field performance surely was a factor, disciplinary issues apparently came into play.

Per a league source, Polite was fined more than $100,000 for tardiness and other issues regarding doing things he shouldn’t have done or not doing things he should have been doing.

Jachai Polite was fined more than $100,000 during his time with the Jets

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I hope Vedvik kills it like Carlson has in Oakland.

That was way to fast to give up on the new guy. I don't follow Am Football much, but if you look at his preseason games in total, I don't think he is worse than the one Vikings kept. And the fact he was claimed should show other teams think he might be the thing. Is waivers in NFL basically as in the NHL? What was the Jets waiver-line priority? Jets' was like, third or fourth in the line if they had all had claimed him, right?

I wonder if this -the unreal bad play, and the waiving- was locker-room related. Just wild speculation.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Guy was brought in to compete at Punter and Kicker. Because Dan Bailey struggled earlier in camp and Matt Wile is an average Punter and was having some trouble as a holder.

Vedvik came in and could barely make anything as a Kicker, while Bailey got better.

At punter he wasn't any better or worse than Wile, but couldn't hold at all. (Wile also got cut when Pro Bowler Britton Colquitt came available)

The trade was dumb to begin with but at least they realized the sunk cost rather than compounding the situation. On a rebuilding team you might try to wait it out, but they're trying to compete this year. It's the same reason they gave up on Carlson so soon last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad