2019 FIBA World Cup Thread: Drake don't impress us.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
SvbDeu6I_kWCtwSEwS0Epw.jpg

Reactions: Tuggy

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Hard to get excited for any international basketball tournament after the circus we were treated with during the qualifiers. Due to idiotic spats between FIBA and ULEB you have basically E versions of the squads competing for a place in the show. Current European Champion won't be there due to this FFS.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Easy group for Canada + USA.

Totally expect the US to steam roll all the way to the finals.

In theory, Canada should advance through the group play stage, but Australia has a really good team (Simmons, Ingles, Patty Mills to name a few) and Lithuania has a couple of good bigs (Valanciunas and Sabonis) that's going to give Canada trouble.

I also hope Wiggins isn't on the team. The guy's a bum and the team doesn't need him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
In theory, Canada should advance through the group play stage, but Australia has a really good team (Simmons, Ingles, Patty Mills to name a few) and Lithuania has a couple of good bigs (Valanciunas and Sabonis) that's going to give Canada trouble.

I also hope Wiggins isn't on the team. The guy's a bum and the team doesn't need him.

Wiggins sucks at defence and has struggled but he's still an upper tier Canadian player.

As for AUS, yea their team is pretty good but Simmons can't shoot and Ingles + Mills shouldn't be too hard to take care.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Wiggins sucks at defence and has struggled but he's still an upper tier Canadian player.

As for AUS, yea their team is pretty good but Simmons can't shoot and Ingles + Mills shouldn't be too hard to take care.

Turns out Wiggins didn’t even get an invite to training camp. Extremely happy he won’t be on the team.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Canada should be able to put together arguably their strongest team yet from this group. Hard to say how they'll do in the tournament because of how young some of the players are but the future is bright with guys like Murray, SGA, Barrett, NAW, Clarke, and Brooks coming up.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
It's not a finalized list so there's a chance that Wiggins might still be added in the next couple of weeks. But his potential absence probably wouldn't be a major issue. The talent loss-- and it's not as much as some might think; he's one of the worst of the regular starters in the NBA-- might be at least partially offset by having a more cohesive group. As one report put it, because of his attitude he "didn't make any friends around the team" at the 2015 qualifying tournament.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Ben Simmons has reportedly pulled the plug on Australia, thus Canada's chances have improved somewhat.

member 51464

What's the deal with Wiggins? Did he just leave college too early and missed important development, was he overrated to start with, or is it just a matter of a talented guy not wanting to put in the work?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What's the deal with Wiggins? Did he just leave college too early and missed important development, was he overrated to start with, or is it just a matter of a talented guy not wanting to put in the work?
Honestly, the dude just looks like he doesn't give a **** about basketball. He looks like he'd rather be doing anything else.

He's got his money, I don't think there's a single ounce of motivation left for him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lithuania and Aussies are an easy group? Sure.
In what world is that an easy group?

Simmons won't play but we have plenty of talent.

Agreed. It gets easier with Simmons not playing but by no means will it be easy. I'm far from an expert on international basketball but from everything I've read, Lithuania is going to be a pain to play against and they're ranked highly for a reason. Australia should be a pretty good team as well and the other day I heard Leo Rautins say Senegal is no pushover either. All of those teams are experienced and have some chemistry already. Canada will be a younger team that isn't used to playing together for the most part.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Honestly, the dude just looks like he doesn't give a **** about basketball. He looks like he'd rather be doing anything else.

He's got his money, I don't think there's a single ounce of motivation left for him.
He doesn't love the game. Never did. ( even in college) Supremely talented but has no passion.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
AD, Harden, Beal, McCollum, E. Gordon, T. Harris, and Zion have all pulled out for the US. Apparently Lillard and Love are on the fence as well and Lowry recently underwent thumb surgery so he may not be a sure thing either.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Imagine if by some miracle Canada wins this? first the Raptors and then an actual Canadian national team? the basketball world would officially be flipped on its head. I do think Canada will one day win a tournament like this though with the talent that is coming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad