2019 Entry Draft Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Absolutely, and not to get into semantics, but even in a deeper defensive draft like in 2008, he still cracks the top 15/20 IMO. Point is, people romanticize the draft and getting a top 4 d-man outside of the top 10 is not something to sneeze at.
I completely agree. It's also true that there are a lot of defensemen with similar upside and as many flaws available later on though. Broberg like Petry in my opinion, is flawed enough that he shouldn't be a top 10 or even 15 pick.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Was at the game tonight and Im not interested by Lavoie at 15. Hes starting to be a good pick around 22-25 but at 15 there are better options with as much upside and way less bust chance.

Just the way he looks around and carries himself you can tell he has a disdain for hard work and grinding. Nhl is grinding 90% of the time. His overall hockey IQ seems average , good in the offensive zone but efforts seems to come in spurts (drouin style). Was constantly cross checking and did injure a player with a sneaky dirty hit like 8 seconds after the puck left.

Will be curious to follow his development but hopefully its gonna be with another team.

Ive seen Mantha at the same age and Mantha was a much better offensive player.

Exactly why I have him 27th on my list... He basically is a James neal or post injury MaxPac, a streaky goalscorer that will frustrate you since he is pretty useless when he isnt scoring, I would be completely shocked if the Habs draft him at 15, but Im pretty confident it wont happen...

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I prefer Seider over Heinola.
Why?....Seider is a better skater, better defensively.
I also prefer Kaliyev over Dorofeyev.
Why?.... lethal shot....pure scorer.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
The point is not to pick a player "worth" it at 15th overall, the point is to take a player that is a slam dunk at 15. A guy like Barzal.
I can definitely agree with this. I would take any of Newhook, Dorofeyev, or Caufield, over a defenseman but if the choice is between Kaliyev and the #3 D in the draft, whose upside is Petry-like, I would take the D.
Maybe I'm being too cautious with Kaliyev but I don't know him that well and some parts of his game leave something to be desired from what I know.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
And the moment you realize Dorofeyev is probably the 3rd best goalscorer in this entire draft is when ...

TSN came out with their new mock draft.... Caufield goes to LA with the 5th pick.... Broberg to Vancouver with the 10th pick.... Podkolzin to Florida at 13.... they have us selecting Lavoie....Alex Newhook.... going 16th by the Avalanche.
I hope Newhook drops into our lap.
Btw.... Heinola and Dorofeyev don't even make the top 27 picks...lol

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
With how my rankings are shaping up, I'll likely have Boldy 5th overall. Does anyone ever have something bad to say about Boldy?

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Kolyachonok is gonna turn into a 1D? :skeptic:

He certainly has the tools to be a very good defenceman. He’s another one of those guys that is ranked lower because of the unfortunate situation he’s in. Had he played for London, he’d be ranked much higher.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
With how my rankings are shaping up, I'll likely have Boldy 5th overall. Does anyone ever have something bad to say about Boldy?
He doesn't attack or drive the net enough for me. He's a great playmaker and has high skill all that stuff you know but that aspect is missing. There was this play in semi-finals against Russia in a 2-2 tie game in u18s 3 minutes remaining where he got to a 1 vs 1 situation on the PK with the smallest of the Russian defenseman (Burenov), and Boldy just had come off the bench 10 seconds earlier and what he does? Stops moving his legs and delays until Russia gets its back checkers back and makes a hopeless pass to Turcotte. Doesn't he want to be a difference maker and win the game for USA? And it's not just this play here that makes me unhappy, this is embodiment of him. I have him in the 11-13 range and I expect him to become a top 6 winger, but this is what you are getting if you pick him.

Reactions: Chez Jesperi

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Seems like Boldy and Newhook are two players pretty much everyone here agrees on.
Not as high on Newhook as others here, but he's still in my mid teens. Wouldn't be upset with the pick but I know there'll be another player I would've preferred with the pick.

Reactions: G0bias

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Only 6 weeks left guys...

Still hoping one of the higher ranked forwards will drop, but i'm not counting on it. I'm expecting Broberg, Heinola or York to be picked by Timmins.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Huskies's first goal was a good example of Lavoie's lack of strength and grit, looked like a big molasse out there...
That might be but the kid has the frame to add a good 30-40lbs of mass. It will all come down to willigness to put in the work and dedication for him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad