Player Discussion 2019 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Honka is still available by our pick, we gotta snatch him. He does have his issues, but his transition and offensive skillset not to mention he's a RHD is too much to pass at that stage.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Drafting 30th or there abouts isn't really going to yield someone who won't need development in Stockton. I think the Flames should target a need this draft rather than their ranking of best player available. That may require swapping picks to get the guy you want. In terms of organizational needs, I think goaltending and right shot D's are the immediate gaps to fill.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If Honka is still available by our pick, we gotta snatch him. He does have his issues, but his transition and offensive skillset not to mention he's a RHD is too much to pass at that stage.
Why wouldn’t we just trade a 3rd for his brother?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I usually watch the first day of the draft on TV but since we'll be drafting 31st this year I suspect I'll find more interesting things to do that day.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Drafting 30th or there abouts isn't really going to yield someone who won't need development in Stockton. I think the Flames should target a need this draft rather than their ranking of best player available. That may require swapping picks to get the guy you want. In terms of organizational needs, I think goaltending and right shot D's are the immediate gaps to fill.
We need prospects of every position

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
We need prospects of every position
True that. And Johnny's post got me thinking that we might want a top prospect at forward. I was of the view that at RD we might lose a couple of veterans in the medium term (Brodie, Stone) and no right shot D's in the queue in Stockton. Our goalies in Stockton have been meh for the most part and I'm not sure any can graduate to become the #2 next year.

At forward we may contemplate Dube making the jump next season at RW (with Frolik leaving) or not (if Czarnik becomes an everyday player). There are previous picks in the junior ranks that should graduate to Stockton next season (Popisil, Joly, Ruzicka, Roman, Zavgorodny, etc.) and guys like Gawdin and Philips in their second pro years. Of course, there are 6 forward RFA's that Brad Pascall and compnay will have to decide if they want to re-sign. A lot of room could be created.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
True that. And Johnny's post got me thinking that we might want a top prospect at forward. I was of the view that at RD we might lose a couple of veterans in the medium term (Brodie, Stone) and no right shot D's in the queue in Stockton. Our goalies in Stockton have been meh for the most part and I'm not sure any can graduate to become the #2 next year.

At forward we may contemplate Dube making the jump next season at RW (with Frolik leaving) or not (if Czarnik becomes an everyday player). There are previous picks in the junior ranks that should graduate to Stockton next season (Popisil, Joly, Ruzicka, Roman, Zavgorodny, etc.) and guys like Gawdin and Philips in their second pro years. Of course, there are 6 forward RFA's that Brad Pascall and compnay will have to decide if they want to re-sign. A lot of room could be created.
When your minor league and prospect depth is thin, you take "BPA" regardless of position. I trust our scouts to do us right.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does anyone know good site for draft resources? I have a shit ton of high picks in my fantasy league and would like to actually do some research this time lol

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I disagree I think the D needs to be reloaded a bit. If he is still there Nolan Foote.

I agree we need quality at every position, so BPA is likely the way we go. But really we haven’t drafted a quality forward since Tkachuk. I think Dube is a good prospect, Mangiapane is alright to, but I’m not sure we’re looking at top 6 guys with those 2. You almost have to draft a top 6 forward in the first 2 rounds otherwise you’re playing lottery odds. I think you can get some real quality dmen in rounds 2-4. Of course none of this is black and white and every draft is different. I also feel comfortable with the youth on our backend and would love to see us get a guy this draft who looks like he could be a top 6 guy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
The Flames have a very late 1st, 3rd, 4th & 5th, and a late 7th round pick.
This may be a bit off the wall but I think the goalie position is our greatest need so I'd like the Flames to draft 3 goalies in their 5 picks. 18 year old goalies are such a crap shoot so the more goalies drafted the better.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We are really bare in the prospect pool. I don't want to go back through the young guns.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I agree with you on the LW thing but with how late we will be picking and this draft not looking very deep I think we'll take what we can get.

I wonder if the team would consider Knight if he's still there because it's highly likely they're going to pick a goalie this year.

Tomasino seems like he could be a Frost type to break out post draft, Brinks stats are fantastic and if he's there I think he'd be a great pick.

One guy I don't really want is Nolan Foote, I've seen him play live like 5 times and I don't think he's made one impressive (something that the average WHL player couldn't pull off) play in that time. When I first heard about him (2016-2017) I got excited thinking he and Callan would both become high first rounders at the next level but at this point I'm not sure I'd take him before the 3rd round. He's big and he's got a good shot and if he were to perform consistently he'd likely be a good player but right now he just kind of floats around without really generating anything.

I think picking Knight if he’s still on the board makes a lot of sense for the Flames. We know that this team likes taking goaltenders with early round picks, and this year’s first will practically end up being a second, so we can afford to take a bit of a risk with it. In fact, I almost think there’s a chance that we could trade the first for two seconds and draft Hunter Jones around 50 OA if Knight is gone by our pick. The team badly needs to bolster its pool of netminders.

Tomasino has been climbing my list in the last few weeks but I still wouldn’t reach for him with our first. Agree about Foote, I think a lot of his hype has to do with his name and not his play. Also a misgiving I have re: Honka.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's just nice to have a pick in the first round. Makes the event a lot more interesting.

Impact forwards and defencemen in general are by far and away the biggest needs. Could see the first be a forward and the rest all being defencemen assuming BPA works out that way.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We are really bare in the prospect pool. I don't want to go back through the young guns.
difference between now and then is back then it was just bad drafting and currently we have lots of great young talent, that are already NHLers.

Reactions: Janks

Khrox

May 31, 2018
There are previous picks in the junior ranks that should graduate to Stockton next season (Popisil, Joly, Ruzicka, Roman, Zavgorodny, etc.)
Pospisil is commited to St. Lawrence University after this season is over. So we'll likely be waiting a couple years before he signs (I don't see him doing a 4 year and leave the team, but I can see him staying at the Uni and developing there)

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Would try and target a right shot d-man, and go for a forward in 2020. We really have nobody in our pool besides Andersson, and with one of Brodie or Hamonic likely gone in two years, we really need to fill that. I'd also get whatever possible for Frolik (hopefully a 2nd or 3rd).

I get that our forward pool isnt high end, but there is a lot of potential middle six talent there. Zavgorodny and Petterson look promising from this draft, and Dube and Mangiapane are taking steps as well. Dube imo could step into the 2nd line RW spot as soon as next season, and worst comes to worst, Bennett can stay in that spot next year. But we really need to get help on defense, and trading the pick would be a horrible idea unless we are dumping a contract (cough cough James Neal).

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I'm liking a lot of the defensemen that are more likely to go late first/early 2nd. This year, the forwards seem to be really stacked up in the first 20 picks.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm liking a lot of the defensemen that are more likely to go late first/early 2nd. This year, the forwards seem to be really stacked up in the first 20 picks.

We are heading to the top 20 pick:thumbu:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Yegor Afanasyev is an intriguing prospect as well as Kolyachonok on defence. Both playing in North America. Both rated right around where we will be picking 25-31

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I, for one, will almost be shocked if Tre makes this pick.
At BEST Calgary will pick 31st.
But in reality, the highest pick we could possibly get is something like 22/23 depending on the rest of the season. If we get bounced from the playoffs early, I expect BT to use this pick to address an area of weakness for us. I'd find it amusing also what shakes loose at the deadline.

Here's a fun thought, would anyone be too upset if we used a late first round pick on a backup goalie gamble a-la most goalies traded in the past few years (Jones, Andersen, Talbot, etc)?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I, for one, will almost be shocked if Tre makes this pick.
At BEST Calgary will pick 31st.
But in reality, the highest pick we could possibly get is something like 22/23 depending on the rest of the season. If we get bounced from the playoffs early, I expect BT to use this pick to address an area of weakness for us. I'd find it amusing also what shakes loose at the deadline.

Here's a fun thought, would anyone be too upset if we used a late first round pick on a backup goalie gamble a-la most goalies traded in the past few years (Jones, Andersen, Talbot, etc)?

I'd be pretty mad if we wasted the first on Jones or Talbot and I think there is virtually zero chance that Toronto trades Andersen.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'd be pretty mad if we wasted the first on Jones or Talbot and I think there is virtually zero chance that Toronto trades Andersen.

Oh not the players themselves, but similar moves.
A high profile backup looking for a new role.

Reactions: Mr Snrub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad