2019 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
6. Zegras
35. M Robertsson (Hoglander if Seider at 6)
54. Mastrosimone
60. Johansson
66. Puistola
97. Crozier
I dont know anyone at this point so I'll stick with Moore, Sodeblom, Berglund, tyutyayev, gylander

Reactions: Gniwder

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I was disappointed first , but now when I look for other options , I don't think I did better choices . I am glad we didn't get Podkolzin or Cozens or even Broberg. All of them didn't progress last year, Seider did. Let's wait and see. Grewe going to be fan favorite

Reactions: DetroitRed

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
#6 - Moritz Seider (D)
#35 - Patrik Puistola (F)
#54 - Robert Mastrosimone (F)
#60 - Albert Johansson (D)
#66 - Albin Grewe (F)
#97 - Tuukka Tieksola (F)
#128 - Elmer Söderblom (F)
#159 - Nikola Pasic (F)
#177 - Matias Mäntykivi (F)
#190 - Santeri Airola (D)
#191 - Filip Lindberg (G)

I'd rather have Puistola than Tuomisto (probably not at #35 though, but whatever), really like Tieksola, don't know anything about Moore or most North Americans for that matter, not sold on Berglund and Tyutyayev, and took Lindberg instead of Gylander at goalie.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
#6 - Matthew Boldy (LW)
#35 - Patrik Puistola (RW)
#54 - Pavel Dorofeyev (LW)
#60 - Albin Grewe (RW)
#66 - Dominick Fensore (D)
#97 - Henry Thrun (D)
#128 - Leevi Aaltonen (RW)
#159 - Marshall Warren (D)
#177 - Same
#190 - Same
#191 - Same

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Mine would look something like this

6 - Broberg
35 - Nils Hoglander
54 - Patrick Puistola
60 - Albin Grewe
66 - Mikko Kokkonen
97 - Henry Thrun
128 - Marshall Warren
159 - Blake Murray
177 - Dustin Wolf
190 - Grant Silianoff
191 - Billy Constantinou

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I personally would have take cozens. But I dont hate nor do I love the current pick, but it has the potential to be a damn good pick.

I'm ecstatic we stayed away from zegras.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't dislike the draft the Wings had, just wasn't expecting it.

Hopefully they are better than me:

6. Zegras- I do worry about his attitude/pest thing I've seen him do, but he's very talented.

35. Afanasyev
54. Mastrosimone
60. Johansson
66. Grewe - actually wanted him at 60.
97. Phillips- didn't think he'd be there at this pick.
128. Martin Hugo Has-didn't think he'd be there either
159. Warren
177. Malone
190. Nussbaumer
191. Wolf

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If it was between Cozens, Krebs, and Zegras for an NHL center, I think Cozens's size and skating would give him the edge. Plus Krebs is currently dealing with an injury.

Boldy was the winger who I had the most confidence in going into the draft, followed by Cole Caufield. The winger with the most buzz around him was of course Podkolzin, but I kept feeling like I needed to see more from him to bee convinced by all the hype.

I liked York and Seider more than I liked Soderstrom and Broberg for defenders after Byram. I thought Seider's game was really impressive, but I also had a hard time trying to compare him against York, because York played for a star-studded team, and Seider played among lesser-knowns in Germany. I think I prefer Seider defensively, but was never confident that one should be ranked higher than the other.

Had I been picking for the Wings I wouldn't have picked a winger. However, I don't know that drafting Cozens would have more impact than drafting Seider. I really like good defensive defeseman anyway and I think that's something Detroit really needs. Obviously, what team scouting witnessed from Seider impressed them a lot and so I'm fine with them trusting their instincts and picking him over Cozens or whoever else.

I don't mind what the Wings did in the later rounds. I was pretty impressed how they pulled that 6' 5" ranked goalie prospect seemingly out of nowhere in the seventh round. I guess if they hadn't picked a goalie at all, that would be something that I might have wanted differently. As it stands, they could have taken Alnfelt or Parik in the third round. They gambled a little bit waiting so long, but it could pay off.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Seems like a lot of people don't like drafting defensemen. I get it, they're not as electrifying and take longer to develop. Instant gratification is funner.

But with how shallow our top paring potential is in the system, I think it was good on Yzerman to throw as much mud on the wall and hope something sticks.

The forwards after #5 were redundant and likely wingers anyhow. Can't have a team full of wingers when we have no top defensemen in the system. And, most importantly, for timeline purposes we desperately need to start grooming our defense now rather than later since they take longer to peak. Wingers/center peak much sooner.

With that said, I like that Steve Yzerman went D heavy in the top of this draft. Even tho they have a higher likely hood of never being NHLers. We only need 1 star studded beast and 1 rock solid that's reliable, then our D should be set with Hronek, Cholo, Mcisaak in all in the system.

I want a distinguished D core before Larkin is 32.

Reactions: NickH8 and martinez

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Seems like a lot of people don't like drafting defensemen. I get it, they're not as electrifying and take longer to develop. Instant gratification is funner.

But with how shallow our top paring potential is in the system, I think it was good on Yzerman to throw as much mud on the wall and hope something sticks.

The forwards after #5 were redundant and likely wingers anyhow. Can't have a team full of wingers when we have no top defensemen in the system. And, most importantly, for timeline purposes we desperately need to start grooming our defense now rather than later since they take longer to peak. Wingers/center peak much sooner.

With that said, I like that Steve Yzerman went D heavy in the top of this draft. Even tho they have a higher likely hood of never being NHLers. We only need 1 star studded beast and 1 rock solid that's reliable, then our D should be set with Hronek, Cholo, Mcisaak in all in the system.

I want a distinguished D core before Larkin is 32.
Both Seider and Johansson were very good pics , but Tuomisto was a reach . He could be get in the third round. We don't know how kids will develop and if get much better with his skating it will be great but now we could get defenseman if you wish like Roberson or Kniazev . They both looks like better choice to me

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I didnt really have a big list on draft day so I wont comment on every pick. I do like the Seider pick, pre draft I kinda figured it would be a shit show at that spot though. Would've taken Dach, Turcotte or Byram if any of them fell but they didnt. I liked Zegras but really like Seider now that I've been able to watch some of him more and learn more. I'm iffy on that pick but dont think I would change it, it kinda depends on Zegras if hes a winger or center. I dont think Cozens had the high end potential to make me wish they took him there. Seider was a fine pick.

The other pick I thought was great was Grewe. I actually thought Detroit would use a second rounder on him and he seemed like the perfect guy for the identity Detroit is building. Getting him in the third was icing on the cake. Tuomisto is a tough one. I thought Lavoie could've went there but hes like the Anti-Yzerman style pick. He wanted competitiveness and thats not Lavoie. Not sure Tuomisto was the guy either but I'm not sure he isnt. If he pans out, having a second pairing of him and McIsaac for a whole playoff series will be hell for opposing teams and really funt o watch as a wings fan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Right now, I think I am most excited for Albin Grewe, he seems like the kind of player that will exceed his draft spot.

Reactions: Winger98

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad