2019 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The purpose of this thread is not to shit on who Detroit picked, but rather to put down what you would have done with our picks. We have been doing this since 2016 (I believe), so eventually we can compile the lists and everyone will have an alternative version of the Wings we can compare (which I think will be a lot of fun). It's also a really great way to see commonalities between players you missed on, and learn about your biases and pitfalls in evaluating players.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm not gonna do a full list of all 7 rounds since I don't have nearly the depth of knowledge for that but for the first couple picks here's what i'd have personally done:

i'd have taken Zegras,not really entirely sold on him being a Center in the NHL but I wanted a playmaker and do think he has a decently high ceiling so I had him as the best after my top 5(who I had well ahead of the rest)

at some point in the 20s i'd have started trying to trade up for Kaliyev,since he wasn't drafted until 33 I think it's pretty realistic here to assume I eventually find a taker and end up using say 35 and one of the other 2nd rounders on him,with him I think at a certain point that list of 50+ goal scorers in their draft years that i've posted a few places speaks for itself and I fully expect him to do pretty well in the NHL when it's all said and done

we'll see how it turns out but as bummed as I am and still would be about not landing Dach/Byram/Turcotte i'd have been pretty damn pumped about walking away with both Zegras and Kaliyev

Last edited:
Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I really like what we did in the middle rounds, so I wanted to keep some of those picks.

@Winger98 , you are totally right. The way the draft board fell was pretty tough. Had a hard time maximizing value with even my draft board with how this draft fell and where our picks were. Attaching my name to the guys I like at #6 and #35 didn't feel as good as I thought.

Honestly, the more I look at it, the more I can understand why Seider was appealing to them. Was tempted to even keep that pick myself.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Going off of what I had posted here my draft day would have been this:

#6- Trevor Zegras (C/W)
#35- Samuel Fagemo (W)
#54- Pavel Dorofeyev (W)
#60- Anttoni Honka (D)
#66- Patrik Puistola (W)
#97- Ethan Keepen (W)
#128- Egor Serdyuk (W)
#159- Luka Burzan (C)
#177- Nikola Pasic (W)
#190- Justin Bergeron (D)
#191- Dustin Wolf (G)

I'd have liked to have gone with more defenceman, but there were still guys in my top 40 and even top 60 up to #128. I debated going with Johansson/Spence/Jones at 66 but I had just taken Honka and I really like Puitsola, especially in the 3rd round . I also debated between going with Fagemo and Legare and ultimately I went with Fagemo due to the fantastic season he just had in the SHL and where it ranks in terms of U19 production.

Brink and Kaliyev going back to like that really hurts and I'd have been tempted to trade up which is honestly something I don't believe I've ever argued for. I really like Fagemo I just think Brink could be a guy that easily goes top 10 or potentially top 5 in a re-draft in 5-7 years.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Going off of what I had posted here my draft day would have been this:

#6- Trevor Zegras (C/W)
#35- Samuel Fagemo (W)
#54- Pavel Dorofeyev (W)
#60- Anttoni Honka (D)
#66- Patrik Puistola (W)
#97- Ethan Keepen (W)
#128- Egor Serdyuk (W)
#159- Luka Burzan (C)
#177- Nikola Pasic (W)
#190- Justin Bergeron (D)
#191- Dustin Wolf (G)

I'd have liked to have gone with more defenceman, but there were still guys in my top 40 and even top 60 up to #128. I debated going with Johansson/Spence/Jones at 66 but I had just taken Honka and I really like Puitsola, especially in the 3rd round . I also debated between going with Fagemo and Legare and ultimately I went with Fagemo due to the fantastic season he just had in the SHL and where it ranks in terms of U19 production.

Brink and Kaliyev going back to like that really hurts and I'd have been tempted to trade up which is honestly something I don't believe I've ever argued for. I really like Fagemo I just think Brink could be a guy that easily goes top 10 or potentially top 5 in a re-draft in 5-7 years.

Interesting list, I like it. I am personally a little skeptical of overagers.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Can someone dig up these threads from past drafts so we can see who might actually be able to say they know better than the Wings staff?

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
6. Peyton Krebs
35. Raphael Lavoie
54. Robert Mastrosimone
60. Patrick Puistola
66. Maxim Cajkovic
97. Semyon Chystyakov
128. Arseny Gritsyuk
159. Marshall Warren
177. Cole Moberg
190. Dustin Wolf
191. Billy Constantinou

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Interesting list, I like it. I am personally a little skeptical of overagers.

It was hard to decide who to pick in the late 2nd end and early 3rd. I just defaulted to go with the BPA or close to it from my list. At least I hope I did as I just quickly scanned it before I made the picks.

Someome looked into overagers and found that there was evidence that overagers in the later rounds typically out produced their younger counterparts in terms of value and GP. I think once you get to the 3rd or later, or in this case for me the 2nd, overagers can be just as enticing as first time eligible player. I think this is especially true if they've had a very productive season.

This is the research I was referring to. I'm on my phone so I apologize for the formating: namitanandakumar/Draft-Analysis Also if you follow Prashanth Iyer on Twitter he had an interesting thread about overagers too.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Can someone dig up these threads from past drafts so we can see who might actually be able to say they know better than the Wings staff?

Dug back to the 2016 one.
Who would you have drafted?

Seems most people would have drafted German Rubtsov at 20 or held the 16 pick to take Chychrun. Shoutout to the handful of people that wanted to keep the Hronek pick.

@Rzombo4 prez
53. Hronek (I asked for him on draft day and am thrilled about the pick.)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

2018- 2018 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked?
2017- 2017 Draft - Who Would You Have Picked?
2016- Who would you have drafted?

Personally I would go with @martinez as having the best collection of picks. @Rzombo4 prez has some good ones too.

Mine is not looking nearly as good as I hoped, but I think I have gotten better since the first one we did. It really helps you understand just how hard it is to have to lock yourself into 1 player at every pick. It's even harder than making a draft board, IMO. Plus I think I have already had 2 kids careers drastically altered by injuries already...?

We have only been doing this since 2016, so all these kids are still 21 or younger. Probably need to wait a few years to really get a good read on everything.

Nugget910

Oct 4, 2017
Cozens
Lavoie/Korzcak
Mastrosimone
Johansson
Grewe
Donovan/McCarthy
Caulfield
Warren
Malone
Moberg
Wolf

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I didn't post in any of those previous threads but from memory I didn't really follow the 2016 draft so had no opinions on it(I didn't like the upside of Chychrun to begin with though so was pretty okay with how that turned out),I liked Vilardi and Necas in 2017 and am not really sure which way i'd have ultimately gone there,and in 2018 I wanted Boqvist in the first and some guys I remember liking in the second were Noel/Durzi/Addison,I didn't like the Berggren pick because I hated the idea of going for another forward there after taking them with the first two picks,wasn't very enthusiastic about McIsaac,then in the third I actually wanted Regula and was pretty happy that the Wings took him there

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
To be completely honest:

Zegras
Hoglander
Mastrosimone
Lacombe
Misyul
Phillips
Guskov
Brinkman
Murray
Constantinou
Gylander

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
i liked moritz seider and I wanted to target him but I wanted to try and trade AA in a deal to move up to Maybe the flyers #11 pick to draft him ,besides that

#6 vasili podkolzin
#35 Matthew Robertson
#54 Patrik puistola
#60 Albert johansson
#66 Daniil misyul
#97 Henry thrun
#128 martin Hugo has
#159 Patrick Moynihan
#177 nikola pasic
#190 marcel barinka
#191 martin Lang

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Assuming I don’t trade any picks:
6-Cole Caufield
35-Yegor Afanasyev
54-Mikko Kokkonen
60-Albert Johansson (same)
66-Ronald Attard
97-Matias Maccelli
128-Isiah Saville
159-Greg Meireles
177-Cole Mackay
190-Kirill Tyutyayev (same)
191-Mitchell Brewer

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Honestly, I don't know or care enough about the later picks. I trust the scouting staff to find players with some translatable skills. I like the overall concept of what they did in the late second and middle rounds. Mastrosimone and Johansson are the perfect style of pick in their range. Grewe as well. All 3 feel like they have the type of game that with physical development should have a good chance to be NHL players. Later picks are higher risk, but maintain high reward, which are the way I would do it as well.

6-Peyton Krebs
35-Alex Vlasic

I obviously had Krebs as BPA at 6, so that's obvious. Knowing the state of our defense and wanting to beef up the pipeline, Vlasic feels like the safest bet to turn out an NHLer. I could be talked into Matthew Robertson considering he has stronger mobility and maybe a stronger offensive upside, but for the time being I will lean towards Vlasic.

Basically, I appreciate the concept of getting as many defensive lottery tickets as possible, but the value of a top center is still immense and I can't pass that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad