Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Thread: Oilers Picking 8th, Would You Take Caufield at #8?

Would You Take Caufield 8th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'm also in the Kaliyev > Caufield camp.

Similar goalscoring, but better playmaking, puck-carrying and puck protection.

All the "red flags" in Kaliyev's game show up in Caufield's too, but like I've said, there's an issue with perception because they aren't seen as red flags for him because no one expects a 5'6'' player to do what they think a 6'2'' player should.
This is 100% the real.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

All the "red flags" in Kaliyev's game show up in Caufield's too, but like I've said, there's an issue with perception because they aren't seen as red flags for Caufield because no one expects a 5'6'' player to do what they think a 6'2'' player should.

I agree, Kaliyev over Caufield for me too. That said IMO there should be better players than both at 8OA.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Brock Otten released 31-50 of his final rankings today.

OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Part 2: 31-50

Former Oiler's son alert!
40. Nathan Staios - Defense - Windsor Spitfires
Really wish that Staois was bigger. But it's pretty tough for 5'8 defenders to draw serious NHL attention, even in today's faster paced game where size isn't as imperative. Staois moves exceptionally well. Has that Ryan Merkley like edgework that he uses to maintain possession of the puck, especially when escaping pressure in his own end, or when working the point of the powerplay. Staois also competes well in his own end and plays a lot bigger than his size, similar to a guy like Mac Hollowell in the Soo. Doesn't back down from any challenge, even if he doesn't always come out on the right side of them. Even though I really like watching Staois play, I find it tough to rank him much higher because the offensive production just wasn't that high. The skating ability is top notch, but I don't know if the hands/puck skill and vision are also, which could limit his offensive potential moving forward. A guy like Hollowell had to go through a draft before he was taken, after he proved that his offensive capabilities could take that next step. I wonder if Staois will have the same fate.

Reactions: McDoused

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

All the "red flags" in Kaliyev's game show up in Caufield's too, but like I've said, there's an issue with perception because they aren't seen as red flags for Caufield because no one expects a 5'6'' player to do what they think a 6'2'' player should.
How about someone who is in the middle of 5'6 and 6'2.. Newhook vs Caufield vs Kaliyev as snipers at #8.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Enjoyable thread to read especially for those of us (like me) that arent at all familiar with the draft prospects.
Appreciate the input from everyone. :nod:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
How about someone who is in the middle of 5'6 and 6'2.. Newhook vs Caufield vs Kaliyev as snipers at #8.
He's the guy I'm hoping for. Always a bit of hesitation with the JrA guys but seeing that he was able to do the same at the u18s against the top competition of his age group sold me. Versatility to plays either center or wing should be another big selling point over Caufield/Kaliyev as well.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's the guy I'm hoping for. Always a bit of hesitation with the JrA guys but seeing that he was able to do the same at the u18s against the top competition of his age group sold me. Versatility to plays either center or wing should be another big selling point over Caufield/Kaliyev as well.
I really don't see what people like in Newhook to want him at 8. There are going to be 3-4 much better prospects available there.

Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Boldy. 2 of those guys will most likely be available at 8.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I really don't see what people like in Newhook to want him at 8. There are going to be 3-4 much better prospects available there.

Zegras, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte, Boldy. 2 of those guys will most likely be available at 8.
High end offensive skills and IQ along with elite skating. He reminds me a lot of Barzal. After Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras and Dach I think there's a real fair argument that he could be the #7 guy in the draft right now. And I wouldn't be surprised to see those 6 all gone when the Oil are picking.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

In your opinion.

Newhook would be a good pick at 8.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

The league makes it tough to compare because there aren't a lot of known quantities. A Tyson Jost type year except Jost played on a juggernaut club and behind a really good 20 year old in Scott Conway. I think Newhook is probably going to be measurably better than Jost. He won the scoring title and was 35pts better than the next draft eligible scorer who was his winger. I like him a lot at 11-15 but he seems like a bit of a reach in the top 10. Every scouting report talks about his blistering speed and skating ability and he was as good as Krebs and Cozens at the U18s but that is still a small sample. I think he is a safe pick because he stars alone on his team but at 8 you could actually land a top 5 talent in the draft and I don't think its him. It wouldn't break my heart if they took him though. Other than the top 3 they all have a bit of risk.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
High end offensive skills and IQ along with elite skating. He reminds me a lot of Barzal. After Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Turcotte, Zegras and Dach I think there's a real fair argument that he could be the #7 guy in the draft right now. And I wouldn't be surprised to see those 6 all gone when the Oil are picking.
My big concern is the league he is in hasn't produced really anyone of note. I think Turris is the best player they have ever pumped out at forward?

I'm not saying he is a bad player or a bad choice, just that with who would be on the board I think he would definitely be a risky pick and a reach.

That said he could be a good player for sure, just don't see him as a top 10 talent right now, although his u18 did probably increase his stock.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
My big concern is the league he is in hasn't produced really anyone of note. I think Turris is the best player they have ever pumped out at forward?

I'm not saying he is a bad player or a bad choice, just that with who would be on the board I think he would definitely be a risky pick and a reach.

That said he could be a good player for sure, just don't see him as a top 10 talent right now, although his u18 did probably increase his stock.
Cale Makar came out of a league worse than Newhooks, and he looks like he'll be just fine.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cale Makar came out of a league worse than Newhooks, and he looks like he'll be just fine.
Okay?
Doesn't mean there isn't risks taking players out of leagues like that.

Defenders are actually easier to get a read on from leagues like that compared to forwards too.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Brock's 30-11 rankings: OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2019 NHL Entry Draft - Part 3: 30-11

His blurb on one of my favorites:

14. Ethan Keppen - Forward - Flint Firebirds
Here are Keppen's ranks among OHL draft eligible players for 5 on 5 production. Goals: 3rd (24), Primary assists: 2nd (18), Primary points: 4th (42), Shots: 2nd (171). That's pretty impressive and actually quite shocking. Keppen is a big kid at 6'2, 210lbs who would definitely be considered a power winger. He excels when he is aggressive in attacking the offensive zone, forcing his way to the net, and really bringing energy on the forecheck. He is a very dangerous player below the hash marks because of his size, but also because he processes the game well. Keppen's 2nd ranking in primary assists (as noted above) is no fluke. He is terrific at winning battles along the wall, only to spin off his check to find a driving teammate. And he is aggressive in driving the net, which also creates second chance opportunities that his linemates can take advantage of. Keppen also possesses a terrific shot, one of the heavier ones in the age group. All things considered, Keppen is one of the most well rounded wingers available from the OHL this year. So why is he at 14? I do have some concerns about his high end upside at the next level. I am not confident that his puck skill is as good as it will need to be to be a top line player. And while his skating is not an issue at the OHL level, I do think that there is room for improvement as he looks to establish himself as more of a factor in transition. But even if you end up with a Zach Hyman kind of player, isn't that worth a second or third round selection?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Reactions: McDNicks17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I flip-flop seemingly every single day on this.

Probably

Cozens
Krebs
Dach
Newhook for me right now.

I'm sure most of you have seen this or already following scouching on twitter but his site has a nice tableau if you want a quick visual of the 2019 draft eligibles with some advanced stats.

Scouching's Prospect Profiler

Free to use.
A profiling tool for >600 2019 NHL Draft Prospects. Follow Scouching: twitter.com/Scouching instagram.com/Scouching_Will patreon.com/Scouching

Scouch just released his draft tracker too. Lots of good stuff in there although I think the USNTDP numbers are incomplete.

Scouching's 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Tracker

There's a few stats that the less analytics-inclined people might find interesting.

Individual Point Percentage(IPP): It tells you how often a player got a point on a goal that was scored while he was on the ice. Krebs is notable here. Leads the class with 86.6%.

Offensive Catalyst Percentage(Off.Ca): It tells you the rate the team scores at with the player on the ice compared to when he's off of it. Kaliyev sticks out in regards to this one at 138.4%. That means the Bulldogs scored at close to 2.5 times the rate with Kaliyev on the ice compared to when off of it.

Defensive Catalyst Percentage(Def.Ca): Same thing as above, but goals against instead of goals for. Krebs is notable here, but as a negative this time. He has the worst Def.Ca at 64.19% meaning Kootenay got scored on at a fairly significant rate higher when he was on the ice compared to when he was off of it. Leason and Brink are at the opposite end with extremely good numbers.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Brett Hull and Jamie Benn were both drafted out of the BCHL.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I really don’t understand the Dach Draisaitl comparisons. If you watched them play, ones built like a tank, who’s only issue was skating problems. The other is scrawny and can skate decent although looks unorthodox due to his height. Dach should be compared to a guy like Wheeler as that’s his best case scenario IMO. Although with that wrister he may score more. His release is so quick it’s unbelievable.
Dach to me is very similar to Getzlaf without the mean streak.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Newhook is the only name in this bunch I would be actively mad at.

But I would personally almost never draft out of the BCHL in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad