2019 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Aside from Hughes and Kakko, I’d be very happy with Turcotte, then in no particular order Zegras, Boldy, Byram, and Krebs. Not convinced with Dach, Cozens, or Podkolzin.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If the Blackhawks ended up with 1 or 2, would you trade it for both of Colorado's picks?

The team needs a lot more than just Hughes or Kakko, so if they could gain a pick around 16-18 OA just to move down 1 or 2 spots, that’s probably a good idea.

chart4.jpg

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If the Blackhawks ended up with 1 or 2, would you trade it for both of Colorado's picks?

Absolutely. Don't think Colorado does it unless that Ottawa pick falls to like 4 and their own pick stays at 10 (or 16, wherever they end up)... or if they are so infatuated with Hughes or Kakko. Both guys are fantastic prospects but neither are on McDavid, Matthews or even Eichel level.

Stack the cupboard Stan.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
If we got 2 and Colorado had 4 and 10, I would consider it if Turcotte was there at 4. If you could somehow get Turcotte and Zegras/Boldy, I like that more than I like Kakko, who I also like a lot. I don’t think I’d trade Hughes unless we’re talking Turcotte and Byram. Basically, if we could get two top-5 talents, I’d consider it.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I'm with you.

I do like Dach though, just not as a high pick. But yeah not convinced with Cozens and Pod.

I need to watch more Podkolzin tape. I haven’t watched much of him. His numbers don’t jump off the page but scouts love him. What’s the major drawback on him?

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its funny. I like Podkolzin and I liked Cozens and still do but his hockey IQ seems hit or miss. Turcotte might go 3.. he's been incredible.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I need to watch more Podkolzin tape. I haven’t watched much of him. His numbers don’t jump off the page but scouts love him. What’s the major drawback on him?
I've just been questioning the hockey IQ recently. He's no doubt talented and has an incredible skill set. But his teammate utilization is horrendous. He tries to do everything on his own and the results just aren't there. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but when you're a puck hog and only generating for yourself it says a lot when you're not producing.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
I've just been questioning the hockey IQ recently. He's no doubt talented and has an incredible skill set. But his teammate utilization is horrendous. He tries to do everything on his own and the results just aren't there. Obviously numbers aren't everything, but when you're a puck hog and only generating for yourself it says a lot when you're not producing.

Would you have him in your top-5? Right now, I like Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, and Zegras in that order. Really digging Zegras.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Would you have him in your top-5? Right now, I like Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, and Zegras in that order. Really digging Zegras.
As of now I don't. I see a lot of risk in using a top 5 pick on him when you can pick Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Krebs, Boldy, etc who are more sure fire bets in my opinion.

Podkolzin also seems pretty content with staying in Russia. Whoever drafts him might have to wait a bit like with Kaprisov.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

He tries to do it all himself (which can be reflective with hockey I.Q. with some people) and the Russian factor mostly. He's "not too keen on NA" supposedly so that'll probably scare a few teams off. Kid has it all though IMO. What I like about him the most is he's one of the rare young Russians that has a great 2 way game (has a bit of nasty in him too with what I saw in WJC). If he can actually utilize his teammates more (less Yakupov thinking and more Datsyuk) then he'll be very good. He literally has everything you'd want in a prospect.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He tries to do it all himself (which can be reflective with hockey I.Q. with some people) and the Russian factor mostly. He's "not too keen on NA" supposedly so that'll probably scare a few teams off. Kid has it all though IMO. What I like about him the most is he's one of the rare young Russians that has a great 2 way game (has a bit of nasty in him too with what I saw in WJC). If he can actually utilize his teammates more (less Yakupov thinking and more Datsyuk) then he'll be very good. He literally has everything you'd want in a prospect.

My issue with Podkolzin (in addition to his possible delay in coming to NA) revolve around his overall skill set. He has good, but not great size. He has good, but not elite speed. I like prospects that have an elite component that they can bring to the table, particularly if you are picking them at the top of the draft.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489 and giza

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
If we end up outside of the top 8 I would draft Knight. He is a franchise goalie in the making and way more valuable than the 9th best forward.

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
If we end up outside of the top 8 I would draft Knight. He is a franchise goalie in the making and way more valuable than the 9th best forward.

I really like Knight but would only take him if we were in the 14-20 range. Just too many good forwards available. I’d personally take Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Byram, Zegras, Podkolzin, Boldy, Cozens, Dach, Krebs, Kaliyev, and possibly Newhook or Suzuki all ahead of Knight. Just too much upside with those forwards. I would love to acquire a 2nd later 1st if our pick is top-10 and take Knight with the later 1st. He might be the best draft-eligible goalie prospect in a while.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Avoid Knight...do not like USNTDP goalies...play for stacked team...puck is on opposing zone all the time.. if Knight were on a normal junior team without 6-8 first rounders and a bunch of second rounders to boot,jhe would really be nothing special...stats look better cause on a great team...Avoid at all costs!

Besides..we are not taking a goalie round one unless we get an extra first ..I. trade Saad for late first?

Even the...like Kochetkov better than Knight.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Again I state that Turcotte fits our nerds /checks more boxes than Hughes if we want a center who can turn line 3 into a scoring g threat plus play a great 2 00foit game . Skates almost as well as Hughes. ..Bigger..More grit..Better defensively.. Better goal scorer and shot ..

Can playou 3C helping gnour depth down the middle and develop for 3-4 years till Toes no longer can be 1C anymore and should move down to 3C at that time..Turcotte at 22 or23 would then take over the 1V..

Teams want g Hughes want him only for 1C or 2C role... we have that covered for now and a few more years till Toes has to be moved down line to bottom six role.

Imagine Toews Strone Turcotte and Entwhistle as our top 4 Centers. ..Kurashev wouldhave to be a winger ..but could provide insurance if any of the 4 starting centers go out with injury.

So I would very much target Turcotte ...even try to move up if we must to get him at say 4 or 5 and have to give a sweetener of a prospect or extra picks plus of course our own first if it is lower than 4 or 5 where he Should be taken ...it is just that he fits our needs and longer range structure plan the best .k

TheDachKnight

Aug 16, 2014
Glad you’re posting here. Please keep it up. Another voice here is always good.

I should definitely be pretty active here. I post on another forum but there’s much less discussion than on here. The draft is pretty much my favorite time of the year except for the playoffs.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...if Edmonton ends up with the #1 or #2 or #3 ...we could trade Saad + 1 of our pipeline plethora of pmd RD guys (Mitchell or Krys) + another later pick or prospect for Milan Lucic and that Edmonton first ...

The Caproblem is the same as with Saad $6 miles per for the next 2 seasons..but we would be stick with Lucic for 3 more seasons after the next 2 ...But his contract modifies by then so he could be traded to some specified list of teams he would submit ..but even if we still retained him then,note that now,though Lucic has way worse offense than even very ordinary Saad for a $6mil player,his +/- is actually 1 better than 3rd liner Saad!!! Lucia -8 ,Saad -9 ..

Edm would see both the advantage of just 2 seasons left on the Saad cap cost vs. 5 for Lucic and I think they would see a pmd yute like Mitchell or. KRYS as something they want to get pucks upto McDavid et AL. .

They probably also might think new start with MCDAVID BIRTHDAY Draisaitl could get Saad to produce more..if he does not then they can go bye bye in "just" 2 seasons.

To us we get a less offensive points producer but a threat to protect our softterms players because of the Licic presence .Maybe he re-discovers offense if he plays with Toes and Kane instead of playing for us as just a 4th liner.

But the sweetener for us would be getting #1 or #2 or #3 ... If we also win a top 3 via lotto then it Really makes sense to do this ..Kako + Turcotte!!! Now we get really excited.

The point is Edmonton feels albatross ed with Lucic who is an albatross on cap for them for the return he provides in production and they cannot see 5 mire seasons of him weighing g them down.

He would provide a different value to our team ..Even without hardly any offense. .

So I think a Saad + Mitchell + 2nd rounder for Lucica top 3 pick this draft (if Edm gets to draft there after lotto draws) makes a lot of sense for both teams.

So if we could land Kakko and Turcotte then we secure our future success even if Lucic is only a 4th liner for us or stapled to the bench ...Wirtz could even buy him out maybe in the last of his 5 remaining years if they are willing to spend some money to do it..But the key us to acquire 2 key guys for our next run as reL contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad