Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I think there is a good chance Byram it Turcotte falls to the Kings. I also think once that happens I will be upset at the Kings passing because they assumed they would not and locked in on another guy.

I remering wanting to scream when they drafted Hickey.

I absolutely remember screaming "WHAT" at the TV

And I remember throwing things when they drafted Grebeshkov.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I wouldn't take Knight early for a variety of reasons. We don't have a current problem at the position. Replacement-level goaltending is easy to find and one of the last things this roster should worry about with so many other holes. We have a great prospect already in Petersen. Knight plays behind a stacked team so hard to learn if he's the real deal. If he drops to like our 4th pick that's something else entirely, but I definitely wouldn't use any of our first three on him.

The Kings can take just about anyone's castoff goalie and turn them into something. I'd be fine with them not drafting a goalie at all.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
The Kings can take just about anyone's castoff goalie and turn them into something. I'd be fine with them not drafting a goalie at all.

Yeah let another team draft a goaltender in the first round and fail to develop him. Then the Kings can pick him up for cheap and Bill Ranford and Dusty Imoo can work their magic Fixer-Upper style.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Akil Thomas dropped to us. Anything is possible.

For reference, Rasmus Kupari was ranked 15th and Akil Thomas was ranked 27th, according to the ISS’ June 2018 rankings.

Kotkaniemi jumped from being ranked 16th to drafted 3rd, Hayton 12th to 5th, Kravtsov not even ranked in the top 31 to 9th, same story for Dellandrea drafted 13.

Meanwhile, Kupari fell from 15 to 20 and Thomas 27 to 51! Durzi was drafted next at 52, for what it’s worth.

Anyway, it looks like three guys from 2018 may step into the NHL soon. Hopefully our first three this season do as well.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Intersting. MyNhlDraft has changed up player slots and has Zegras at #4 overall. Byram to Kings. Tomasino at #22. I can live with this!

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

I may want Zegras more than Cozens or Dach. Give him a year at Boston University.

Pronman::: """"In terms of pure offensive skill, he’s (Zegras) the best in the draft class"""
He has him at 6 overall.

What about Hoglander at #22?

Pronman::::: """Hoglander has the best hands in the draft""" (he has him at 18 overall)

Why not get 'the best pure offensive player in the draft" at 5 and
the player with the best hands in the draft, at 22??

Then Grewe or Kokkonen at 33.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAKings88

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Intersting. MyNhlDraft has changed up player slots and has Zegras at #4 overall. Byram to Kings. Tomasino at #22. I can live with this!

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

I may want Zegras more than Cozens or Dach. Give him a year at Boston University.

Pronman::: """"In terms of pure offensive skill, he’s (Zegras) the best in the draft class"""
He has him at 6 overall.

What about Hoglander at #22?

Pronman::::: """Hoglander has the best hands in the draft""" (he has him at 18 overall)

Why not get 'the best pure offensive player in the draft" at 5 and
the player with the best hands in the draft, at 22??

Then Grewe or Kokkonen at 33.

Wasn't it reported that Blake and Co believe Bowen Byram will be there at #5 because the thought is both the Hawks and Avs are going Forward??
I am starting to believe that it will actually happen.. I've always thought that Chicago would steal Alex Turcotte from us but it now seems like the Avs have their sights set on Cozens, big bodied, fast skating sniper..

Reactions: LAKings88

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
For reference, Rasmus Kupari was ranked 15th and Akil Thomas was ranked 27th, according to the ISS’ June 2018 rankings.

Kotkaniemi jumped from being ranked 16th to drafted 3rd, Hayton 12th to 5th, Kravtsov not even ranked in the top 31 to 9th, same story for Dellandrea drafted 13.

Meanwhile, Kupari fell from 15 to 20 and Thomas 27 to 51! Durzi was drafted next at 52, for what it’s worth.

Anyway, it looks like three guys from 2018 may step into the NHL soon. Hopefully our first three this season do as well.
The Kings don't need any of these guys to be stars, but they must be solid contributors if they are going to get back into contention in the next 7-8 years.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I'd be ok with him if Brink or Seider were gone there. I want either Craig Johnsons kid or Foote at 33.

This is why i would tade Jack Campbell for a mid second and draft Ryan Johnson.. the kid could be a M.D. Vlasic type of defenseman

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I HATE that first round for the Kings. Yuck. Why take the smaller Caufield at 5 when you could have Brink at 22? Knight, hard pass in the first. Too many better options at 5 than Caufield. Turcotte, Cozens etc.
Everyone seems to believe that just because a few midgets put up numbers during the regular season that drafting them is the road to success.

I look at a team like Colorado, which is better than Calgary, and I see plenty of size and skill up front. I would take Cozens over Caufield. Not sure Turcotte will be there. If Bryram is there, he trumps all in my opinion.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Button must be thinking "Quick had a bad year so they need to draft a goalie" lol.

How reactionary is that? Kings have goalie prospects that appear adequate but let's use a 1st round pick on a goalie because it is time to replace Quick.

Button is an idiot and looks like a cartoon character.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Button must be thinking "Quick had a bad year so they need to draft a goalie" lol.

How reactionary is that? Kings have goalie prospects that appear adequate but let's use a 1st round pick on a goalie because it is time to replace Quick.

Though he did write up a glowing review about Mikey Anderson being a legit top 4 ... someone posted that on here a few days ago and it seems very spot on..

EDIT: Even a blind squirrel can find a nut lol

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
wish list for #5

1. byram
2. turcotte
3. couzins (good skater with size, shot first, good in the faceoff circle)
4. Dach (playmaking center with size)

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
This is why i would tade Jack Campbell for a mid second and draft Ryan Johnson.. the kid could be a M.D. Vlasic type of defenseman

Jack Campbell would not get a second round pick....even though his true value is at least that. Campbell is on thee best contract on the Kings. $700,000 I think...for one more year. If you made a list of 5 King players not to trade, he would be one. The ones that are worth more than what GMs would give you.

As for Ryan Johnson, he's pretty slight at 6'0" 161. Pronman says he has too many turnovers. Rates him #41. The Kings are getting smaller and smalle on D with: Clague, 6'"0 185, Durzi, 6'0" 187. Anderson 6'0" 196, Phillips 6'0" 205 (of course Walker and Roy are smallish)
and the NEXT top D they draft, had better be more of the 6'2" 210 ilk. Teams are going smaller and more skilled, but still need a few physical D....MacDermid may never be
able to play a lot of minutes. Brickley and Strand have size and hope they can make it.

The Kings best D teams had Mitchell, Greene, Regher and opposing teams hated playing against them.
Would be nice to get one competent defenseman that can punish.

Last edited:

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
I HATE that first round for the Kings. Yuck. Why take the smaller Caufield at 5 when you could have Brink at 22? Knight, hard pass in the first. Too many better options at 5 than Caufield. Turcotte, Cozens etc.

Truly. Buttons has lost his marbles...no way Turcotte falls to 7 !!

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

That or Quick is 33 and under contract for three more seasons, so it might not be the worst idea to draft an heir apparent. Petersen turns 25 later this year, so taking an 18 year old goalie now doesn't create much of an overlap either. On some level, I understand the phobia of drafting a goalie with a late first round pick, but I'm also aware that the 20-30 range for most drafts isn't exactly filled with surefire top 6 forwards or top 4 D.

Reactions: Pandaman11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad