Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I finally subscribed to The Athletic, and I wish I hadn't waited so long. The coverage is outstanding, and not just for the Kings. I've been working my way through most of the teams in the league's recent articles, and they're all great.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I finally subscribed to The Athletic, and I wish I hadn't waited so long. The coverage is outstanding, and not just for the Kings. I've been working my way through most of the teams in the league's recent articles, and they're all great.

I had a free trial already that expired that I forgot about so I logged back in and they gave me a $2.99/mo for the year ($36) so it was a no-brainer. I just subscribed too. Some great coverage.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Cozens, Turcotte and Dach will all 3 be at a minimum top 6 guys. The biggest question is whether they turn into elite players.

I think between each one, Turcotte has the most complete game and is the best overall. Cozens hasn’t had to play much defense so that’s something you can’t really grade yet and Dach is more of a passer than a shooter.

If you are going BPA and have the option, Turcotte is your guy. I would then probably go Cozens and then Dach because Cozens is more of a threat to score 30+. We need scorers more than playmakers. I would be angry with any of them though.
I like the idea of the Kings taking Turcotte...but not Cozens or Dach...we need players that can flat out fly not players that need to work on the their skating(Cozens) or aren't natural goal scorers(Dach)...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
I don't quite understand the hype behind Kirby Dach. At first he was my #1 guy but after looking at some video I think they're much better options.

He's a big bodied playermaker, who's an average skater.

Cozens is a much better skater than Dach, and plays a more physical game while still having decent size at 6'3.
Don't like either Cozens or Dach! Cozens is a weak skater and doesn't fight for the puck in the corners to be a RWinger! Dach looks like Carter and is a good skater but he possesses no hands and is soft! Turcotte...Byram please! Bettman screwed the Kings out of Kakko or Hughes!

Reactions: Lemonlimey

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I always like to look at the age of prospects relative to their draft class. A relatively small age difference when you're only 17 or 18 can give you a big advantage as a player.

Caufield is one of the oldest 1st round rated prospects and I think people are overreacting to his recent production in the U18s.

I like him, and if the Kings pick him high I won't be opposed, but personally I wouldn't pick him inside the top 7 or 8.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Don't like either Cozens or Dach! Cozens is a weak skater and doesn't fight for the puck in the corners to be a RWinger! Dach looks like Carter and is a good skater but he possesses no hands and is soft! Turcotte...Byram please! Bettman screwed the Kings out of Kakko or Hughes!
Cozens is one of the best skaters from this years draft.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I always like to look at the age of prospects relative to their draft class. A relatively small age difference when you're only 17 or 18 can give you a big advantage as a player.

Caufield is one of the oldest 1st round rated prospects and I think people are overreacting to his recent production in the U18s.

I like him, and if the Kings pick him high I won't be opposed, but personally I wouldn't pick him inside the top 7 or 8.
If he was 5’10 he’d go 3rd overall. Look at his numbers compared to his peers. He’s gonna have to be Debincat good to succeed. It’s a risk.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
No idea what players you have seen ? I think you are confused and mix things up.

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Kaako 1st (for obvious reasons)
Hughes 2nd (just a hair behind Kaako in talent and drive sees him drop to two)
Byram 3rd (because the hawks rarely if ever screw up their picks)

Here is where it becomes sort of any anything goes draft.

Turcotte/Cozens/Caufield 4rth
(the avs have a great shot at picking up a true star to go with their exceptionally talented young group and either one of these three players would fit the bill)

Cozens/Caufield 5th
(I don't see an org that has Lucky as its uberchief being afraid of Caufield's size and durability. Remember that Luc was a later pick because his skating was so bad that most scouts didn't think that he would even make the NHL let along becone a superstar. I am not saying that Luc was small or that Caufield compares to lucky in any way but I m saying that if the Kings decide not to take the safe pick in the exceptionally talented Cozens then Caufield could be a homerun of a player if he can live up to the riggers of the NHL)

Caufield/etc for the 6th pick.
(the last remaining truly star potential talent in the draft or at least the most obvious one will be taken with this pick. After this every remaining prospect is sort of fungible. There are still some talented forwards who could become superstars and there are some very talented young D as well but everyone below the 6th pick become much more of a gamble and are much more of a hit or miss then the players that will be taken above them)

As for Dach. He is a solid young player who reminds me a ton of Brian Boyle at the same age with the exception of Boyle being a considerably more impactful and talented player. Do I think he is a top 10 pick? Absolutely. I see him as an 8/10 guy but I will be happy to be proven wrong.

My pick for 22 if he is still available is the swinging swede Mr Grewe (pronounced Groovy). He is a top 10 talent in every capacity except his hands. He reminds me almost exactly of Esa Tikkanen during his earliest days. I love this kids heart compete drive and net front presence more than anyone else in the draft. He has solid hands but they are nothing special and I believe that in time he can become a good scoring forward but he has all of the things that you can't teach or fake in the bucket full.

If we can't take him at 22 then I would be happy to see him be our 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
That’s my exact worry with Dach, that in 3 years, he’s being compared to Joel Otto and end up with a career like Brian Boyle.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Fewer and fewer d-man going in the Top 5, it's not because the defenseman are getting worse, but teams just know the value and need of franchise forwards and as the Hawks scout said, it's just so hard to project d-man.

If the Kings don't project Byram as a #1 type defender I'd prefer they go forward.

Reactions: tonellisghost

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA

You do realize that Cozens is considered a very good skater, right? Can you show me a report that says he is a weak skater because I have not seen that anywhere. It has been one of the focused topics in all of his scouting reports.

Here are a few of the dozens of reports that highlight his skating:

Dylan Cozens Scouting Report: 2019 NHL Draft #6 - Last Word on Hockey

The Draft Analyst | 2019 Draft Profile: C/W Dylan Cozens

How Dylan Cozens turned himself into a top NHL Draft prospect - Sportsnet.ca

NHL Prospect Profile: Dylan Cozens

Dach has no hands? He has some of the softest hands in terms of passing of any center.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
Fewer and fewer d-man going in the Top 5, it's not because the defenseman are getting worse, but teams just know the value and need of franchise forwards and as the Hawks scout said, it's just so hard to project d-man.

If the Kings don't project Byram as a #1 type defender I'd prefer they go forward.

It seems like we have been missing 'that' offensive threat from the blueline for years. Adding a real points getter from the blue line would be huge, even if he didnt pan out as a true no1.
The prospect of watching forbort on the top pairing for the next five to ten years makes me want to curl up in the foetal position.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It seems like we have been missing 'that' offensive threat from the blueline for years. Adding a real points getter from the blue line would be huge, even if he didnt pan out as a true no1.
The prospect of watching forbort on the top pairing for the next five to ten years makes me want to curl up in the foetal position.

I hear ya, but we also haven't drafted a 1st line forward since 2005. I know there are lots of holes to fill but I'd prioritize that over a defenseman. I think we could find a decent d-man with the TOR pick and could even possibly trade up a little bit if they like someone like Broberg, York or Soderstrom.

I think a lot could depend on Vilardi and if the Kings know how healthy he really is. If the outlook is grim for Vilardi they may feel like they have no choice but to go C, if they are optimistic about his health you could take a look at Byram or Caufield at 5.

Reactions: tonellisghost

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
^ Discuss truly star potential and leave out Dach? Makes zero sense. You can argue 3-5 players maybe as having a higher ceiling. Question is if Dach hits it, but few have the potential he does.

Who says that Dach doesn't have the potential to become a star player in pro hockey? I know that after watching him play a dozen times in person this year that I think he has at least the potential to become a star caliber forward in pro hockey. My only question is at what level and when. Could be the NHL or it could be the AHL or even Europe. That is what I meant anyways about his being a hit or miss level prospect. He has skills but where they will take him is a little bit risky.

As for hands I think that Dach has solid hands as did Boyle, Groovy on the other hand has more questionable hands which is what I said in my post.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
after reading/watching all I can about these kids, here is my armchair GM wish list for our pick at #5.

1. Byram
2. Dach (looks a little like Lacavalier to me)
3. Podkolzin
4. Turcotte
5. Cozens

if byram and dach are gone when we pick, I'd be open to trading down.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Dach has wicked hands...

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
There's so many different variables in this draft for us. We don't have a defenseman like Byram and we certainly don't have a goal scorer like Caulfield, but Vilardi's questionable health does not help matters. So now we have 3 kinds of players to target.

In terms of guys who I'd prefer to take:
1. Byram/Turcotte
2. Byram/Turcotte
3. Cozens
4. Dach
5. Caulfield

I'm starting to warmup to Dach so I wouldn't be mad if we took him over Cozens. I feel like Cozens is the best of both worlds in a center who is a good skater, can score goals with 1st line potential.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
No idea what players you have seen ? I think you are confused and mix things up.
I've seen Cozens play at least 20 times and he's a work in progress in the skating department(Toffoli). I compared him to the Sutters and a hockey guy told me... yes except Cozens has no balls! Cozens has put up numbers but what does that say? Will he be a 40/50 goal scorer in Junior and what does that mean at the NHL level...20...you would expect more from a number 5 pick! Dach is soft...a good skater but soft and isn't a natural goal scorer! He could play 3rd/4th line RW or Centre in the NHL in a few years...ditto for Cozens!

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I've seen Cozens play at least 20 times and he's a work in progress in the skating department(Toffoli). I compared him to the Sutters and a hockey guy told me... yes except Cozens has no balls! Cozens has put up numbers but what does that say? Will he be a 40/50 goal scorer in Junior and what does that mean at the NHL level...20...you would expect more from a number 5 pick! Dach is soft...a good skater but soft and isn't a natural goal scorer! He could play 3rd/4th line RW or Centre in the NHL in a few years...ditto for Cozens!
Than you just need new glasses. No offense.

Cozens is a very good skater and Dach not so much. Yet Dach has great hands.

This is not an opinion but a fact. Just a simple eye test.

You say exactly the opposite with three different things.

That is why I say you must be confused or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad