GDT: 2019 Draft Discussion: LA Kings pick 5th, 22nd overall 8 p.m. ET (NBCSN, SN, TVAS)

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Stupid with Robertson and vlasic still there. Could’ve traded up a bit from 33 and not given up to much to take one of them...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Björnfot is a very capable two-way defenseman with few weaknesses in his game. A strong skater who reads the game well and contributes both offensively and defensively. Also a good leader and he competes hard on every shift. Can be used on the powerplay, but stands out more in his own end with this solid play. (EP 2019)
Björnfot is in superb physical shape and he is both strong and got good conditioning, Hockeyprospect.com 2019
He has a strong and hard first pass to start the transition game and he also has the ability to transport the puck zone-to-zone himself, Future Considerations 2019
He is a solid stickhandler and good passer, as likely to make the simple, safe play as he is to attempt something more challenging, McKeen's Hockey 2019
Complete defender.. competent in all situations.. nice lateral mobility with the puck allows him to find space to make plays under pressure, Draftin Europe 2018

Oh good, here comes Lintuniemi/Moverare 2.0.

Reactions: Reaper45

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I just don’t understand that pick at all. Bjornfot is a 4-5D at his absolute best. Kaliyev has the skill set to potentially be a 30 goal scorer in this league.

I just don’t understand why you feel the need to draft Bjornfot at 22 with Kaliyev and others still on the board.

This is the Forbort pick all over again. Drafting for need, not BPA.

Edit: I take that back. This is not even drafting for need, considering we have Durzi, Walker, and a thousand other bottom pairing PMD already in the system. I don’t know what kind of drafting this is.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Scouting report on Bjornfot:

Bjornfot was a touted prospect for a few years and a minutes eater for Sweden’s international teams, including being one of the best defensemen at the U18s and named the best defenseman in Sweden’s J20 league. His skating provides a lot of his value. His ability to lead a rush, pinch off the blueline and close on his checks is very good. His feet allow him to make stops and transition pucks. He has solid defensive acumen and generally is trusted by coaches to play tougher minutes. His puck game is average. He can have the odd flash offensively due to his feet and above-average vision. His skill level doesn’t overly impress, but there were times, particularly in the second half of the season, he showed more confidence making creative plays. He could be a reliable two-way defenseman in the NHL who might not put up points.
NHL scout on Bjornfot: “He’s not flashy, but he’s a very mobile and smart defenseman. He kills a lot of plays, can skate pucks up and can give you some offense.”

Lowest ceiling of the first round, probably.

Reactions: Guitpik

Islcey

Jun 18, 2018
Looks good to me.. plenty of forwards left, I'm sure we'll get a good one at 33. Nice pick in my opinion. Turcotte and Bjornfot are great additions to our prospect pool, excited to see how the rest of the draft plays out.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Pronman originally had him ranked as the 37th best skater in the draft, but his stock has been rising and in his most recent mock draft, Pronman had him going 21st.

Bjornfot was a touted prospect for a few years and a minutes eater for Sweden’s international teams, including being one of the best defensemen at the U18s and named the best defenseman in Sweden’s J20 league. His skating provides a lot of his value. His ability to lead a rush, pinch off the blueline and close on his checks is very good. His feet allow him to make stops and transition pucks. He has solid defensive acumen and generally is trusted by coaches to play tougher minutes. His puck game is average. He can have the odd flash offensively due to his feet and above-average vision. His skill level doesn’t overly impress, but there were times, particularly in the second half of the season, he showed more confidence making creative plays. He could be a reliable two-way defenseman in the NHL who might not put up points.
NHL scout on Bjornfot: “He’s not flashy, but he’s a very mobile and smart defenseman. He kills a lot of plays, can skate pucks up and can give you some offense.”

edit: kilowat beat me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad