Prospect Info: 2019 Draft: 1st Pick: Philip Broberg - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Broberg, in four years time, will make the Oilers a better playoff team than any of the forwards that were in close proximity to his draft position could have.

To be completely honest, though, as someone born in '88 and having invested so much of my soul into this team for all of my life, I don't truly care anymore lol

Reactions: B33K33PING

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Most 18 year old Dmen have a long way to go. Your 5D comment was hilarious, and I doubt you've ever seen him play aside from youtube videos.
Yes, because all top10 picks always turn into top4 Dmen.. especially the ones GMs reach for.
It would be hilarious to think Hickey, McIlrath, Pouliot, Seider, Boqvist, Ellerby, Fleury, Cowen and Juolevi would all not be top 4 Dmen in the NHL.
I bet you putting him ahead of Klefbom and Nurse is based on the same YouTube videos and to me is just as hilarious. Hopefully the kid proves me wrong but we really wouldn't know for a couple more years.

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Broberg, in four years time, will make the Oilers a better playoff team than any of the forwards that were in close proximity to his draft position could have.

To be completely honest, though, as someone born in '88 and having invested so much of my soul into this team for all of my life, I don't truly care anymore lol
Unless Zegras turns into the next Kane scoring PPG while carrying his own line

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sure, anyone is probably going to be better on their natural side simply due to the stick positioning on that side. At the end of the day you take talent over handedness. I'd gladly run 5 lefties on a big mobile, puck moving, 2-way D corpse rather than trying to fit lesser players in because of which way they shoot.

Your example of Sekera doesn't have much basis here as he's barely played the right side in Edmonton, and Russell can't make a breakout pass or maintain proper gap control no matter what side he's on.

Sekera pretty much played his full first season on the right side.... and was significantly better on his left moving forward.

Russell, despite his flaws is significantly better on his natural side.

I probably should not have even bothered to reply.

You don't take talent over handedness unless it's a big difference. Especially in today's NHL. The margin for error is so much smaller in today's parity.

All puck moving offensive defenseman is also a terrible idea. Two way is inherently better... simplify/exaggerate... twice as good.

Sekera being the perfect example.

Who is a better defenseman. Sekera or Tom Gilbert, Nikita, Schultz, even Petry struggled in comparison to Sekera to be as effective. All talented puck movers but I wouldn't throw them together.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

Good because in 4 years time there will be no McDavid to cheer for. 4 years to see a competitive playoff team basically trashes McDavids prime years away. Clock is ticking. Organization is rebuilding for 12 years ..what's another 4 right ?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Some of those questions were cringe worthy.

He has a bit of that Kawhi bluntness.

Seems to be a confident 18yr old as high picks generally are. Carries himself well. I like specifically if he does not understand a term he asked rather than answered unknowingly. For instance "what does eager mean". he was tired, but still cared enough to answer accurately as possible.

Language somewhat of a barrier, but forthright enough to interject. Also confident enough to disagree. I like those characteristics.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, because all top10 picks always turn into top4 Dmen.. especially the ones GMs reach for.
It would be hilarious to think Hickey, McIlrath, Pouliot, Seider, Boqvist, Ellerby, Fleury, Cowen and Juolevi would all not be top 4 Dmen in the NHL.
I bet you putting him ahead of Klefbom and Nurse is based on the same YouTube videos and to me is just as hilarious. Hopefully the kid proves me wrong but we really wouldn't know for a couple more years.

Well you actually said "I'd be happy if he became even a #5D in his prime" which suggests that you think his ceiling is a #5D. I think that is honestly laughable. He could top out as that, but to suggest that is his ceiling is well pretty ridiculous for a guy with his size and absolutely elite skating.

I didn't put him ahead of Klefbom and Nurse? I put him on the 2nd pairing with Klefbom because I think that would be a good fit if he plays the right side, but even then I was pretty clear that my pairings were only placeholders to show the 6D I saw in the team's future.

As for watching him, I guarantee I've seen much more than youtube videos. I've seen most of his games in the 3 tournaments he played in, and after his performance in the Hlinka he was one of the guys I was looking for the U20's and U18's.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sekera pretty much played his full first season on the right side.... and was significantly better on his left moving forward.

Russell, despite his flaws is significantly better on his natural side.

I probably should not have even bothered to reply.

You don't take talent over handedness unless it's a big difference. Especially in today's NHL. The margin for error is so much smaller in today's parity.

All puck moving offensive defenseman is also a terrible idea. Two way is inherently better... simplify/exaggerate... twice as good.

Sekera being the perfect example.

Who is a better defenseman. Sekera or Tom Gilbert, Nikita, Schultz, even Petry struggled in comparison to Sekera to be as effective. All talented puck movers but I wouldn't throw them together.

Sekera was great in both of his first two seasons here, so to make any real distinction between him on the left or right side is pretty tough, especially with recall bias this far into the future. I'm also almost positive that Russell played the right side his first season in Edmonton (2016-17) and that was by far his best season as an Oiler.

Where did I choose all puck-moving offensive D? My list was Nurse, Bouchard, Klefbom, Broberg, Samorukov, and Jones. Of those 6 the only real true offensive puck moving D is Bouchard. The rest are generally 2-way type D, who can add some offence while playing average to above average defence. If all of your Dmen being capable puck movers is a bad thing then I'm sure you prefer having a Kris Russell on your blue line.

I don't see the parallels in your Gilbert, Nikitin, Schultz, Petry analogy. Those are 3 guys who struggled at defending or in Nikitin's case couldn't skate, and Petry is easily every bit as good as Sekera as a two-way D. I'm still confused at what point you're trying to get across here. Is it that having a big mobile D who is mostly made of 2-way D is bad because they are almost all good to great puck movers? Is it that 5 of them are lefties? Is size and mobility a bad thing because only 2 or 3 of them play a heavy physical game? Would you prefer 1 or 2 "defensive D" who can only chip the puck off the glass and out? You're going to have to point out for me who besides from Bouchard on my list is a pure offensive D, and give me reasons why the other 5 shouldn't be considered as 2-way D.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well you actually said "I'd be happy if he became even a #5D in his prime" which suggests that you think his ceiling is a #5D. I think that is honestly laughable. He could top out as that, but to suggest that is his ceiling is well pretty ridiculous for a guy with his size and absolutely elite skating.

I didn't put him ahead of Klefbom and Nurse? I put him on the 2nd pairing with Klefbom because I think that would be a good fit if he plays the right side, but even then I was pretty clear that my pairings were only placeholders to show the 6D I saw in the team's future.

As for watching him, I guarantee I've seen much more than youtube videos. I've seen most of his games in the 3 tournaments he played in, and after his performance in the Hlinka he was one of the guys I was looking for the U20's and U18's.
I would be happy with McLeod as 3C..doesn't mean that his ceiling.it just means thats all we really need him to be.
#5D is a pretty valuable piece. Anchoring the third pairing is not a cake walk in NHL.. Like I said I will take Broberg as 5D, McLeod as 3C and Lavoie as middle 6 winger.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I would be happy with McLeod as 3C..doesn't mean that his ceiling.it just means thats all we really need him to be.
#5D is a pretty valuable piece. Anchoring the third pairing is not a cake walk in NHL.. Like I said I will take Broberg as 5D, McLeod as 3C and Lavoie as middle 6 winger.
I think those are more reasonable projections for McLeod and Lavoie, but I still find that a low-end projection for Broberg. His elite skating and size alone pretty much guarantees he will find a bottom pairing role in the NHL. He has much higher upside than that, and until he gives us reason to believe that his development has stalled, I think it's premature to put such low expectations on him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Great job Gene! ! He really made the kid feel comfortable

Says he wants to be like Victor Hedman---I think I wet my pants.

He’s already over 200 pounds and he looks quite thin, in a good way. When he becomes a man he’s going to be a big guy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if at 6’3 he’s in the 220-225 range with the frame he has when he hits his prime in his mid 20s.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Garbo Man

Meh
Oct 15, 2017
Sherwood Park
I hated the pick when they made it but hearing him in these interviews (His English is actually pretty good not gonna lie) and how he handles himself actually has me excited about him in the future. Welcome to the Oilers young one may your speed never falter and your shots always be true!

Reactions: Todd Parchment

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I hated the pick when they made it but hearing him in these interviews (His English is actually pretty good not gonna lie) and how he handles himself actually has me excited about him in the future. Welcome to the Oilers young one may your speed never falter and your shots always be true!

I'm with you. I wanted Boldy or Zegras

But hearing his English has me less worried about his development

Hearing him say" I'll play where the Oilers want me to play"....he had me at "I'll"

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s already over 200 pounds and he looks quite thin, in a good way. When he becomes a man he’s going to be a big guy.

I wouldn’t be surprised if at 6’3 he’s in the 220-225 range with the frame he has when he hits his prime in his mid 20s.

I don't think that it will take him long to get there, that Scandinavian blood will thicken him up in a few years.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Are we likely to see him in Bakersfield in his draft +2 regardless, or could that change based on playing in the OHL vs SHL?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Gene can be annoying with his puns at times, but he seems like a legitimately good guy.

I can't stand Gene pre game

But all his other stuff, I have to say, he comes across as awesome. He is so laid back and relaxed, and asks fantastic questions. Jekyll and Hyde

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't think that it will take him long to get there, that Scandinavian blood will thicken him up in a few years.

Yup, he’s going to be a big strong man.

Bouchard isn’t a small guy either, those two are going to be a legit top pairing years down the road.

Seems like a high character driven kid with extremely high upside. Finding players with his size and skillset is very difficult. I liked the pick at the time and like it more with each passing day.

He has as much or more upside than any D in this draft, including Byram.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Are we likely to see him in Bakersfield in his draft +2 regardless, or could that change based on playing in the OHL vs SHL?

He can go wherever.

The 2 year (sometimes 1 year based on birthdate) rule only applies to players drafted out of the CHL.

Meaning Broberg could play in Hamilton next year and then Bakersfield the following year. He’s not forced to play two years in the OHL if he goes to Hamilton next year.

Reactions: LaGu

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Sekera will be missed. Good enough to play for his national team but not for the Oilers. I guess the thought is better a year too early than a year too late.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He can go wherever.

The 2 year (sometimes 1 year based on birthdate) rule only applies to players drafted out of the CHL.

Meaning Broberg could play in Hamilton next year and then Bakersfield the following year. He’s not forced to play two years in the OHL if he goes to Hamilton next year.
:handclap:
I've asked this a couple of times, but you're the first one with a clear answer. That's good news, and for me personally it will ease the pain a bit if he goes to the OHLI wish he'd stay in SHL... I wish he'd stay in SHL. Just looking at one answer from development camp when asked about why/how he was better at skating drills, he basically said he had done all of them before in Sweden. Keep that up imo.

... but he'll prob be in OHL. And it'll be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->