2019 All Star Game in San Jose (Use this for the ASG/Skills Comp)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The fact that the league is legitimizing "chel" as a slang term for its own name is horrifically depressing.

The people that use "chel" are the same shallow-gene-pool meat-head dudebros that use garbage like "celly"

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
The fact that the league is legitimizing "chel" as a slang term for its own name is horrifically depressing.

The people that use "chel" are the same shallow-gene-pool meat-head dudebros that use garbage like "celly"

Yo brah why you wiggin out over the chel making their street name 100?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I had to google Chel, which got me wondering, why are people so lazy?

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
GET OFF MY LAWN

I'm aware of the crotchety nature of my post.

First, I just hate that particular term far more than basically any other bit of slang I can think of. Most of the time I'm relatively indifferent. Even "celly", though I find it dumb, doesn't bother me much except in the context of its overlap with "chel"

Second, I don't like the overlap of subculture slang with something official and, to an extent, artificial like league marketing. Like your parents trying to use slang or seem 'with it', it comes off as awkward and desperate and damaging to their credibility.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Coach Jeremy came out to Bangkok to teach some of the young guys, then played some shinny with us a few times. He's a good dude, pretty solid player too.

I'd argue that it's not slang for the NHL as a league, but rather specifically for the video game. At least it was that way when i was in the US

Having said that, i hate using that type of slang unless i'm being facetious. though it sounds much better in a southern Ontario accent

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad