2019 All Star Game in San Jose (Use this for the ASG/Skills Comp)

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
There is still time for them to make the offer.
Tampa did the mini plan folks two weeks before the game.
The Sharks even limited the league to 4 sections this year. Tampa and Nashville give them the run of the place. The NHL got rows in 2 lower sections and 2 upper sections.

I hope you are right. I actually asked Becher & Tortora about it and they confirmed there is no planned public sale currently and vast majority of tickets are sold already of course. We'll see, crossing my fingers.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I hope you are right. I actually asked Becher & Tortora about it and they confirmed there is no planned public sale currently and vast majority of tickets are sold already of course. We'll see, crossing my fingers.
I don’t think there will be a public on sale.

I had to get my seats through the league.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Considering that every team has to be represented, I only see Burns making it from the Sharks.

F- McDavid (EDM)
F- Gaudreau (CGY)
F- Pettersson (VAN)
F- Keller (ARI)
F- Draisaitl (EDM)
F- Monahan (CGY)
D- Giordano (CGY)
D- Burns (SJS)
D- Doughty (LAK)
G- Gibson (ANA)
G- Fleury (VGK)

(Yes, I know that Fleury isn't having that great of a season, but I had no idea what other goalie to put. This is basically a reputation pick.)

This seems like a fair list, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Thornton went instead of Monahan and Jones instead of Fleury (lol)

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
This seems like a fair list, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Thornton went instead of Monahan and Jones instead of Fleury (lol)

I highly doubt that Thornton has a desire to play in the all star game.

On a different note, kinda disappointing that there was really no enthusiasm among our fan base to vote one of our guys in as captain.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I have a hard time seeing Timo not going. All of these players won't go but I could see Pavelski, Thornton, Timo, Couture, Burns, EK, and Jones all having a shot.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I highly doubt that Thornton has a desire to play in the all star game.

On a different note, kinda disappointing that there was really no enthusiasm among our fan base to vote one of our guys in as captain.
I swear there's less interest in this ostensibly huge event than a regular season game. the unavailability of tickets really messes up any home team support.

Reactions: SharksAddict

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
I swear there's less interest in this ostensibly huge event than a regular season game. the unavailability of tickets really messes up any home team support.

There doesn’t seem to be nearly as much promoting of the event as there was the first time we hosted. Them again, I was a 9 year old kid them, so memory could be selective. The lack of ticket availability is going to backfire I think and resale prices will drop. Resale prices are like round 3 playoff prices currently. I think most people around here are knowledgeable enough that the game is no where near quality enough to want to spend that much.

Reactions: Phu

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
It really depends on the size of your season ticket holder base. When I went to Nashville, most people didn't sell their seats and the arena was noticeably gold.

In Tampa it looks like a lot of people sold their seats and it was a pretty good mix of everyone.

You have to ask yourself... How big is the season ticket holder base and are you in a market where people want to go, or make a profit and take the money?

Interest in All Star Games has gone down considerably in the last 10+ years. They have become less of a competitive event and more of a showcase of the leagues' stars. As long as the arena is full and sponsors are lining up, I don't think the league cares.

Reactions: Sandisfan

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
There doesn’t seem to be nearly as much promoting of the event as there was the first time we hosted. Them again, I was a 9 year old kid them, so memory could be selective. The lack of ticket availability is going to backfire I think and resale prices will drop. Resale prices are like round 3 playoff prices currently. I think most people around here are knowledgeable enough that the game is no where near quality enough to want to spend that much.

The window to promote the All Star Game is really only a few weeks. From Thanksgiving until New Years, the league is promoting the Winter Classic. The only ASG stuff they do voting, and that's largely via their website and teams' emails.

The lack of ticket availability is sort of a farce. People purchased tickets. Most people are not educated in the resale that much and wont list them until they have them in their accounts. That's why there is so little out there. If you have them and want to sell them, you should do it now while supply is low. As soon as everyone gets them in their accounts, and you have thousands of people listing them at the same time, it's going to be a race to the bottom......but it will level off.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
All-star games were never competitive. Never. It's not a "last X years" sort of thing, they just legitimately haven't been anything more than glorified pond-hockey for star players to screw around probably from near the beginning of when they were first conceived. Through the lenses of us watching as kids they probably looked a lot more entertaining than they actually were, but if you were to go back and try watching old ASGs whenever re-airings pop up on things like NHL Network or through the Gamecenter archives (do they offer those?), you'll probably be disappointed. The only thing that's ever really worth watching is the skills competition, and that's mostly down to fun factor (if/when the events are set up right)

As for the lack of tickets, that is a slightly more recent development. The last couple decades have really increased the amount of corporate gladhanding and cronyism that is generally "required" to do business, and that means that prestige events like the ASG are little more than schmooze parties for league sponsors and prospective partners and is why tickets are so scarce for joe and jane average public hockey fan. The truth is now that outdoor games are the new "fan mecca" event because they will be played in large enough stadiums that the league can still dole out 15k seats to business relationships and still have a sizeable amount left over to put through public sale.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
All-star games were never competitive. Never. It's not a "last X years" sort of thing, they just legitimately haven't been anything more than glorified pond-hockey for star players to screw around probably from near the beginning of when they were first conceived. Through the lenses of us watching as kids they probably looked a lot more entertaining than they actually were, but if you were to go back and try watching old ASGs whenever re-airings pop up on things like NHL Network or through the Gamecenter archives (do they offer those?), you'll probably be disappointed. The only thing that's ever really worth watching is the skills competition, and that's mostly down to fun factor (if/when the events are set up right)

As for the lack of tickets, that is a slightly more recent development. The last couple decades have really increased the amount of corporate gladhanding and cronyism that is generally "required" to do business, and that means that prestige events like the ASG are little more than schmooze parties for league sponsors and prospective partners and is why tickets are so scarce for joe and jane average public hockey fan. The truth is now that outdoor games are the new "fan mecca" event because they will be played in large enough stadiums that the league can still dole out 15k seats to business relationships and still have a sizeable amount left over to put through public sale.

I don't know... I go back and forth... the 12-14 games I remember watching as a kid may have been high scoring and there was little defense, but the guys were trying to score. I do want to re-watch a few after your comment.

I totally agree with you about the lack of tickets. That being said, a lot of it depends on the STH base of the host city. Every full STH I know has always been offered a seat. After they are taken care of, they can move on to people with smaller plans, use them as a carrot to sell seats for the following season, etc..... My guess is that sponsors, media, league, etc get about 5000 seats....about 1/3 of most arenas.

In my opinion, the outdoor games are getting played out. In 2014, they had 4 Stadium Series, The Heritage Classic and the Winter Classic. The game in LA was a dud and the Isles were not even close to selling the seats they were supposed to. I've been to 4 of them, and I don't think I'd go to another one.

I'm coupling this trip with a trip to see family in the Bay Area and had a friend at the league get me seats. It was a no brainer. This will make 3 in 4 years for me, but I don't think I'm going to St. Louis in 2020.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well. comparing to a playoff game which STHs also have first dibs on AFAIK ... there is a time to try to get a ticket as a member of the general public and everyone is well-informed. that is on as few as a few days notice.

there is just complete lack of anything for the ASG.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
well. comparing to a playoff game which STHs also have first dibs on AFAIK ... there is a time to try to get a ticket as a member of the general public and everyone is well-informed. that is on as few as a few days notice.

there is just complete lack of anything for the ASG.
The seats are all spoken for. For the first round of the playoffs you don't have every national and local sponsor needing seats..... add to that all the international media, etc... There isn't always enough to go around.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The seats are all spoken for. For the first round of the playoffs you don't have every national and local sponsor needing seats..... add to that all the international media, etc... There isn't always enough to go around.
hence no support from home team fans. sad. no point to hosting really, seems more of an inconvenience than anything.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
hence no support from home team fans. sad. no point to hosting really, seems more of an inconvenience than anything.
The home team fans that have season tickets have seats. That should be plenty of people.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The team should tell the league to eat shit and take this crappy game elsewhere.

Might as well give them a legitimate reason to hate the Sharks.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
The team should tell the league to eat **** and take this crappy game elsewhere.

Make them play the game at Logitech Ice or whatever it's called these days lol

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
Tbh the most rabid fans are found in the cheap seats and can't afford season tickets.

Then there are plenty of other channels to get seats. I really don't like that argument because it implies that you can't be a real rabbit fan if you can afford tickets.

The arena holds about 17,000 people. Assuming 5000 goes to the league, sponsors, media, players families, NHLPA, etc.... that leave 12,000 seats to go to season ticket holders. Anyone else that wants a seat can play the rules of supply and demand and purchase one on the secondary market. The All Star Game isn't really a rabbit fan event. While I disagree with your argument, it makes more sense for the Finals than the All Star Game.

The team should tell the league to eat **** and take this crappy game elsewhere.

ate the Sharks.[/QUOTE]

The team actually did tell the league that in a sense. Last year, Tampa gave the league the run of the place. The Sharks gave the league two lower bowl section (rows 21 and back) and two upper sections for their seating.

If the team gave the league a big enough FU, they can forget about having a draft, outdoor game, etc in San Jose.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ovechkin just said he's not going.

Just cancel this stupid thing.

Ovechkin to skip All-Star Game, will be suspended 1 game
Alex Ovechkin has decided to skip the All-Star Weekend in San Jose to get some extra rest and will serve an automatic one-game suspension.

Wonder if other Eastern Conference players may not want cross country travel. Even with Bye week (before or after ASG depending on division/Conference).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Ovechkin to skip All-Star Game, will be suspended 1 game
Alex Ovechkin has decided to skip the All-Star Weekend in San Jose to get some extra rest and will serve an automatic one-game suspension.

Wonder if other Eastern Conference players may not want cross country travel. Even with Bye week (before or after ASG depending on division/Conference).
That probably has something to do with it. Though it would be a nice family, winter getaway for some of them out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00