2019 All Star Game in San Jose (Use this for the ASG/Skills Comp)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was willing to fly in for this but literally was never notified how to get a ticket.

Literally, had no idea either and I'm 40 minutes away and had season tickets for 20 years....

Ditto. (Except I planned to drive in.)

Was looking for info in September. Kinda gave up after Thanksgiving.

Saw resale info like two weeks before event. Spent the $$ I would have spent on tickets about a week earlier.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I ended up having to go to a last-minute birthday dinner for a family member, so I had to watch it after the fact on PVR (just got finished). Thankfully I missed it. I did at one point hear them playing High Hopes by Panic at the Disco, which is also burned into my brain from the WJCs because it was part of every warm-up music package. But thankfully it's not Pitbull.

I don't see Nem in this thread, so let me sub in for him and say you didn't even have any to start with. :sarcasm:

BdY39Gd.jpg

Thanks for having my back. :laugh:

------------------------------------------

Now that I've watched the whole event way behind the rest of you:

wow, that was bad. Usually I end up having a decent amount of fun with the skills comp before I blow off the game, but that was just poorly done. The events seem to be over-produced and poorly thought out, and even the ones that guys had problems with in the past (the passing accuracy drill) were doubled-down on instead of being fixed. The number of times that guys seemed to be legit frustrated by the events instead of just having fun seemed like a sign that the league needs to re-evaluate and tweak things to make sure they work. Because it's only fun if the players are having fun. I get that tech is cool, but the electronic targets feel like they're more hassle than they're worth. They never seemed to have as much trouble with the foam accuracy targets as they do with these pressure-plate ones.

It's actually part of why I end up enjoying the AHL skills competition more than the NHL one. It uses the same, less meddled-with, old-school events and ends up feeling a lot more fun.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
They need to get rid of the passing event or make it easier. Every year it just slows the competition down and I recorded it so I fast forward through a lot of it.

Overall it was ok. The save streak was actually my favorite event, even though seeing Pasternak in the accuracy shootout was fun.

Also, they need to do more with Women's hockey. I loved seeing Coyne there, and this gives them publicity. I would like to see an event relay like what the NBA had with the shooting stars, where you had a legend, a current player, and a woman player doing a relay obstical course. That would probably be better then the Boring passing thing.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Fixing the passing is easy

Multiple breakout targets from end to end, you have a single puck in all three zones, you ha e to make 3 passes, 1 in each zone. Different points for different targets. Grab a puck at the far end and you get 1 stretch pass attempt .

Boom, done and it's fun

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
This whole Kendall Coyne thing has me wondering if the right female player could make it in the NHL. Johnny Gaudreau is 5’9 and 165lbs. His whole game relies on speed, agility and puck control. That’s pretty similiar to women’s hockey. Kendall is 5’2 and 125. Okay, that’s gonna be a non-starter I think. I wonder though if maybe the right female player couldn’t make it though. I don’t think this era of hockey is still requiring the 6’4, 235lb Jumbo Joe Thorntons. There’s room for the little guys. Maybe that means there’s room of the girls too.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
This whole Kendall Coyne thing has me wondering if the right female player could make it in the NHL. Johnny Gaudreau is 5’9 and 165lbs. His whole game relies on speed, agility and puck control. That’s pretty similiar to women’s hockey. Kendall is 5’2 and 125. Okay, that’s gonna be a non-starter I think. I wonder though if maybe the right female player couldn’t make it though. I don’t think this era of hockey is still requiring the 6’4, 235lb Jumbo Joe Thorntons. There’s room for the little guys. Maybe that means there’s room of the girls too.
Until Marchand tries to lick her face and the hockey world implodes. In all seriousness a goalie might have a good chance. I think there is a female goalie in the euro leagues. Might have just been a PTO tho.

Reactions: Dicdonya

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Does anyone know what the process was to get tickets for this weekend? I saw a lot of empty seats last night and leading up to the weekend it felt like promotion was really low. Did it start by Sharks season ticket holders and then go down from there? If the NHL is marketing this event to children it should have started with local communities, then season ticket holders and then public.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Does anyone know what the process was to get tickets for this weekend? I saw a lot of empty seats last night and leading up to the weekend it felt like promotion was really low. Did it start by Sharks season ticket holders and then go down from there? If the NHL is marketing this event to children it should have started with local communities, then season ticket holders and then public.
Nobody knows

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
absolutely no idea whatsoever

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The city and the team did an absolutely terrible job on this event. So disappointing and it looks awful on our team and on our city as a hockey town.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The city and the team did an absolutely terrible job on this event. So disappointing and it looks awful on our team and on our city as a hockey town.

Yes it does. I mean if I knew how to get tickets and I could pay less than 150 for the two days I would have absolutely gone. I love Hockey and having the All Star game in your home town is always a good thing. Other then the PA Announcer last night, there wasn't really anything "San Jose" to the event. Also, about halfway through I saw empty sections. Maybe people were coming back from concessions, since they should have planned around the Traffic. I think maybe having it Friday Night was not a good idea. Maybe keeping the traditional Saturday Night/Sunday afternoon would have been better.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
STH got advance sale, but it was run by the NHL, so your seat selection as at the mercy of the Ticketmaster algorithms. I believe we were limited to buying for the same number as your STH seats. I didn't get my usual seat. I never saw any promotion again until a couple weeks ago from TM, but those were all resale tickets at that point. About a week ago, we got a follow up STH opportunity to buy more tickets, this time up to 3x your tickets. I'm sure those were leftovers from the reserve for league/player family members and such.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
STH got advance sale, but it was run by the NHL, so your seat selection as at the mercy of the Ticketmaster algorithms. I believe we were limited to buying for the same number as your STH seats. I didn't get my usual seat. I never saw any promotion again until a couple weeks ago from TM, but those were all resale tickets at that point. About a week ago, we got a follow up STH opportunity to buy more tickets, this time up to 3x your tickets. I'm sure those were leftovers from the reserve for league/player family members and such.

My assumption has been that reserves for the league, player, etc eat up a big portion of the tickets - even if they won’t always be used. I know my work gets tickets all the time that go unused for whatever reason. I am sure with something like this, the big sponsors, the league execs, all got a ton of tickets that they can’t fill. Bettman is probably sitting on a box for his ex-wife that she declined to use. They say it’s for the fans, but it’s all for marketing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad