2019 All Star Game in San Jose (Use this for the ASG/Skills Comp)

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Except if they did that, it would be a serious game and there would be risk of injury.
The problem is that they should really don't his at the beginning of the season. Open the season with the all Star game and move on

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yeah I don’t need a serious game, but the All Star game is a big opportunity to show off the stars of the the NHL, and hopefully garner new fans from seeing amazing plays, speed, shots etc. so when none of that actually shows up because everyone is playing 50% or less, they may as well just stop doing them.

Also it’s a bit of a middle finger to the fans who want to watch an exciting show of skills to just phone it in. I don’t need hitting and shot blocking etc, but the fact that someone like McDavid didn’t make a single rush up the ice at even 80% speed is just sad.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Heh heh heh.

I kinda thought it might be them when I heard the music; that song seems to be their theme. (Enjoying doing something else and then fast forwarding through stuff.)

(Many, many, many years ago, my aunt a Stanford alum, bid at an alum charity auction for the band (and the cheer squad the Dollies) to play my grandparents 80th birthday celebration. My parents hosted it. Fun to have the band at my "childhood" home back yard. Too many afternoons my parents -- dad also an alum -- watched Stanford football.)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am watching the recording of this game and this is Embarassing if you're a pacific fan. Look I get it's an all star game and it's an exhibition, but if players don't want to be there then you might as well just cancel the whole thing. I keep saying to myself this is a way to get the kid demographic but there was no one on the pacific that actually cared. I feel like the NHL and the Sharks dropped the ball on this weekend, and as a Hockey fan who lives in San Jose (IE, it cuts close to home), I probably feel more disappointed then I should.

Reactions: Dicdonya

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Also, with these recycled jerseys, they couldn't add a little color to the preceedings? I miss the old All Star Games where you had various colors for the various teams.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
You kidding? People go ape**** over the fact that baseball did that. So they don't anymore.

I think it's a great idea to make the All-Star game mean something. I'd turn it into an 82 game all star extravaganza for each team, followed by 4 rounds of contests between the best of the teams. The best team after that wins a parade.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
You kidding? People go ape**** over the fact that baseball did that. So they don't anymore.

Gotta do something other than money because it's a f***ing joke.

MLB is a poor example because they don't have a salary cap system that brings in parody. The conference with the most high revenue teams dominate in their All-Stars.

68 Z-28

Jul 10, 2007
Under the Tank

Heh heh heh.

I kinda thought it might be them when I heard the music; that song seems to be their theme. (Enjoying doing something else and then fast forwarding through stuff.)

(Many, many, many years ago, my aunt a Stanford alum, bid at an alum charity auction for the band (and the cheer squad the Dollies) to play my grandparents 80th birthday celebration. My parents hosted it. Fun to have the band at my "childhood" home back yard. Too many afternoons my parents -- dad also an alum -- watched Stanford football.)

I enjoyed seeing them open the game yesterday. Many memories of them as a kid and watching them in the Los Gatos Christmas parade and then out in front of CB Hannegins. After the game they were playing outside in the park across Guadalupe heading towards Henry’s. That was cool.

I think I’d put the blame on the NHL and not San Jose or the Sharks for the marketing/ticketing of the game.

I will say however, the Fan Fair at the convention center was amazing. I went today with my wife and daughter and we got to see the Mascot Showdown. I went with my daughter and got right up on the boards for the little rink they had set up. The last event was Tug of War and the oilers mascot was all the way right next to us. He turned round and had my daughter hold his hands to help keep the eastern mascots from winning the first round... simply for the mascot interaction it made the whole day and weekend worth it IMO.

Attachments

• AFA6D30B-2922-4261-904D-B430F027DC5E.jpeg
    AFA6D30B-2922-4261-904D-B430F027DC5E.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 16

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Ok. that was awesome by Matthews.

I was wondering whether he was paying tribute to Sharks fans with the #12 and Marleau, or snubbing them with the Maple Leafs crest. I did think it was a risky move either way.

I'm sure there are some Leafs fans back home unhappy about it. Some of them see Marleau as getting in the way of signing extensions for Matthews and Marner.

Maybe that was a point Matthews was making for those Leafs fans? Either way, it was a risky move.

Toronto lucked out with the league pushing the expansion draft out a year. They avoid Marleau's NMC effecting their choice of player protection. Or maybe it wasn't luck at all?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
And those segments along with all of the other kid stuff like jagger and pavs kid the past few years is why the nhl all star games are important.

They are not played to go full tilt and mean something. Its for the fana and players to have a little fun and give back to the fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad