NFL GDT: 2019 AFC Wild Card Round: (4) Houston Texans vs (5) Buffalo Bills - Houston wins 22-19

HOUBUF

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
One good thing from all this, these playoffs are already off to a good start. Last years playoffs sucked.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They won by having ball control I believe?
Kansas City at the beginning of the season cannot stop the run.
Chiefs defense is playing much better. KC is very clearly the favorite, it will definitely be tough for a road team to win twice in the same building. But we've also seen Andy Reid as a favorite in the playoffs, when it seems like it's going to be too easy, it almost definitely isn't.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
It's not a delay of game when the clock hits zero, you get the whole zero-second before it's called

Have a source for that? I'm 99% sure that's not true, the same way there's not a full second after the game clock hits :00. It would be absurd for refs to have to count down a full second in their heads and have to call it that way. That's not the way any countdown timer I've ever watched works. The full second is at the front of the clock's run time and the display always rounds up, so :44.1 would show as :45 if there's no tenths.

I've heard at one point, don't remember where, that the refs are trained to look immediately back to the ball when they see 0, and if it isn't snapped it's an immediate penalty.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Have a source for that? I'm 99% sure that's not true, the same way there's not a full second after the game clock hits :00. It would be absurd for refs to have to count down a full second in their heads and have to call it that way. That's not the way any countdown timer I've ever watched works. The full second is at the front of the clock's run time and the display always rounds up, so :44.1 would show as :45 if there's no tenths.

I've heard at one point, don't remember where, that the refs are trained to look immediately back to the ball when they see 0, and if it isn't snapped it's an immediate penalty.

That's always how it's been. It's the umpire's call, he's supposed to look at the clock hit 0, and then look back and if the ball isn't being snapped, then it's delay of game. Clock on the screen also isn't official.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
That's always how it's been. It's the umpire's call, he's supposed to look at the clock hit 0, and then look back and if the ball isn't being snapped, then it's delay of game. Clock on the screen also isn't official.

Right, if he sees 0, looks to the ball, and it isn't snapped, it's a penalty - even if it is then snapped in the next instant. There's no "extra second" to snap it. That's an eternity when all you have to do is look from the clock to the ball.

Edit: There's a shot of Milano pointing to the stadium play clock showing 0 while the ball hasn't been snapped - it's not just the on screen clock.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Right, if he sees 0, looks to the ball, and it isn't snapped, it's a penalty - even if it is then snapped in the next instant. There's no "extra second" to snap it. That's an eternity when all you have to do is look from the clock to the ball.

Edit: There's a shot of Milano pointing to the stadium play clock showing 0 while the ball hasn't been snapped - it's not just the on screen clock.
It's still ultimately a judgement call. If they're snapping the ball they'll get deference.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

I simply don't agree after going back to it - it was literally a full second, plenty of time to see the ball wasn't snapped yet.

And yeah, when you consider that the Texans had literally 0 penalties called on them during a play, it leaves more than a bit of a bitter taste that a 50-ish yard FG attempt (or a 4th and 5 attempt) was taken away on such a BS call.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I simply don't agree after going back to it - it was literally a full second, plenty of time to see the ball wasn't snapped yet.

And yeah, when you consider that the Texans had literally 0 penalties called on them during a play, it leaves more than a bit of a bitter taste that a 50-ish yard FG attempt (or a 4th and 5 attempt) was taken away on such a BS call.
I mean, you got it right from the horse's mouth on that one. A delay is standard and the official used his discretion.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I mean, you got it right from the horse's mouth on that one. A delay is standard and the official used his discretion.

I never said some delay wasn't standard (in fact in my first post I pointed out the exact procedure you confirmed and Pereria confirms in his post), and nothing he posted said the referee had any discretion. His opinion is that the ball was snapped in the amount of time it took for the official to recognize the clock said 0 and look back to the football. You've completely invented the "one full second after the clock hits 0" on a faulty understanding on how countdown clocks work (they always round up to the nearest second - when they hit 0 the full allotted time is up at that instant). The entirety of the delay is supposed to be how long it takes for the ref to see 0 and get his eyes back to the ball. I completely disagree that the ball was snapped "right after" the clock hit 0 after rewinding it and watching it again. It was pretty much exactly a full second, which is much more than the delay that is supposed to be allowed for the official to look to the ball. The fact that it took him so long to get his eyes back to the ball is a flat out failure of officiating.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never said some delay wasn't standard (in fact in my first post I pointed out the exact procedure you confirmed and Pereria confirms in his post), and nothing he posted said the referee had any discretion. His opinion is that the ball was snapped in the amount of time it took for the official to recognize the clock said 0 and look back to the football. You've completely invented the "one full second after the clock hits 0" on a faulty understanding on how countdown clocks work (they always round up to the nearest second - when they hit 0 the full allotted time is up at that instant). The entirety of the delay is supposed to be how long it takes for the ref to see 0 and get his eyes back to the ball. I completely disagree that the ball was snapped "right after" the clock hit 0 after rewinding it and watching it again. It was pretty much exactly a full second, which is much more than the delay that is supposed to be allowed for the official to look to the ball. The fact that it took him so long to get his eyes back to the ball is a flat out failure of officiating.

That's a standard delay though, if you watch any game, they always delay and err on the side of the offense. They usually do give that full second. If that wasn't the case, it would be a reviewable play.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
That's a standard delay though, if you watch any game, they always delay and err on the side of the offense. They usually do give that full second. If that wasn't the case, it would be a reviewable play.

If they see 0, look back, see the ball unsnapped and don't immediately blow the whistle, then they are wrong. Full stop. I've absolutely seen flags thrown in the amount of time it took them to snap the ball there. It may be within the time frame where the NFL will assume the umpire didn't get his eyes back into time and thus not classify it as a missed call, but that absolutely gets called in that time frame all the time. They don't make it reviewable for the same reason any number of other infractions aren't reveiwable. There is a beat of a delay accepted in enforcement, and my feeling is they allowed far too much leeway in that instance based on similar plays I've seen all year. There is absolutely not a "one full second" guideline. You've completely invented that.

Look at Pereria's wording again. He claims they snapped it "right after" it hit 0. They didn't in any reasonable usage of the words "right after".

And again when you combine it with literally 0 penalties called during play against Houston (0 declined by Buffalo, even!) and that the Bills lost a winning FG attempt on an absolute bullshit penalty where the lineman was square up with the guy he was blocking was looking right at him....I'm sorry - they got jobbed.

This isn't even getting into the fact that if they ruled by the NFL rulebook to start the half the Bills would have been another TD up.

Reactions: adsfan

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they see 0, look back, see the ball unsnapped and don't immediately blow the whistle, then they are wrong. Full stop. I've absolutely seen flags thrown in the amount of time it took them to snap the ball there. It may be within the time frame where the NFL will assume the umpire didn't get his eyes back into time and thus not classify it as a missed call, but that absolutely gets called in that time frame all the time. They don't make it reviewable for the same reason any number of other infractions aren't reveiwable. There is a beat of a delay accepted in enforcement, and my feeling is they allowed far too much leeway in that instance based on similar plays I've seen all year. There is absolutely not a "one full second" guideline. You've completely invented that.

Look at Pereria's wording again. He claims they snapped it "right after" it hit 0. They didn't in any reasonable usage of the words "right after".

And again when you combine it with literally 0 penalties called during play against Houston (0 declined by Buffalo, even!) and that the Bills lost a winning FG attempt on an absolute bull**** penalty where the lineman was square up with the guy he was blocking was looking right at him....I'm sorry - they got jobbed.

This isn't even getting into the fact that if they ruled by the NFL rulebook to start the half the Bills would have been another TD up.

If you watch games they almost give the entire second is the point. You can argue they shouldn't, but they do it consistently and as long as it's consistent then it's a non-issue.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
If you watch games they almost give the entire second is the point. You can argue they shouldn't, but they do it consistently and as long as it's consistent then it's a non-issue.

I simply don't agree, and I do watch a ton of games. Sure it happens occasionally, because missed calls happen occasionally. The usual time frame is something like a half second. I've seen less than a half second, I've seen slightly more than a half second go uncalled. This one was about as long a "beat" as I've ever seen go uncalled when I rewound to watch it. They were inside a second after 0 on Tennessee's earlier (non-purposeful) DoG.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Bill o’Brien is a bad coach who owes his coaching job to DeShaun.

that guy wins enough games to keep his job even though he is thoroughly unimpressive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad