NFL GDT: 2019 AFC Divisional Round: (2) Kansas City Chiefs vs (4) Houston Texans - Sunday, 3:05 EST

KCHOU

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He called a timeout and still couldn't find a single play he liked in an offensive playbook he designed? Again, at the time I said I didn't mind the decision but some of his decision making later on and this explanation after the game makes it easy to question O'Brien.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He called a timeout and still couldn't find a single play he liked in an offensive playbook he designed? Again, at the time I said I didn't mind the decision but some of his decision making later on and this explanation after the game makes it easy to question O'Brien.

BS answer. FG no issues. Who doesn’t have a play to go to on 4th and inches.

it’s the fake punt that was the big head scratcher.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
When you had money on KC winning by 14+ and kept the game on even when theyre losing by 24 :vhappy:

LB8XxbZ.gif

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Houston has now had two separate NFL franchises with monumental playoff collapses. Well done.

While it doesn't top Bills/Oilers this should be enough to fire Bill O'Brien for any SANE owner.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This was the best shot the Texans had at advancing past the Divisional round. They still might w/ Watson but BOB isn't the guy to take them there.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you go into a game thinking you have to score 50, you’re going into battle with the wrong people.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY

must have really liked faking a FG as a play inside his own 31 on 4th and 4 TRUE GENIUS.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Chiefs defense is so mediocre but the offense is so good. Well, they have Mahomes.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That FG on 4th and 1 really turned the tide, I think. Texans squeeze out that first down and get a new series, KC would've been even more deflated. Instead they regrouped and went on a 51-7 run.

Unbelievable turn of events based on one boneheaded decision.

If you go into a game thinking you have to score 50, you’re going into battle with the wrong people.

Pretty much.

"Well, I know our defense is dog**** so we're gonna have to put up some crazy numbers offensively to have any real shot here".

Nice vote of confidence there.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That FG on 4th and 1 really turned the tide, I think. Texans squeeze out that first down and get a new series, KC would've been even more deflated. Instead they regrouped and went on a 51-7 run.

Ok my defense of kicking the FG was because if you go for it and don’t make it you get no points and that’s the kind of play the can turn the tide in a game. So yeah, either way it could have turned on that decision. In either case, O’Brien was clearly indecisive.

But what ultimately did turn the tide was the fake punt. It was a questionable call in a vacuum and worse in the wake of kicking the FG prior. That call is indefensible.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Ok my defense of kicking the FG was because if you go for it and don’t make it you get no points and that’s the kind of play the can turn the tide in a game. So yeah, either way it could have turned on that decision. In either case, O’Brien was clearly indecisive.

But what ultimately did turn the tide was the fake punt. It was a questionable call in a vacuum and worse in the wake of kicking the FG prior. That call is indefensible.

Botching that kick return didn't help either. The KC player didn't even know what to do with the ball at first. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thinking that to yourself is one thing, but I sure hope he didn't say that to his players.
Well he said it out loud in front of people, so if he didn’t say it ahead of time, they all know he thought that.

Up 24-0 after 1, they were looking good to get there.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I don't think the failed fake punt mattered that much. From the time KC scored their first TD, they moved the ball with ease the rest of the game. Had the Texans punted instead of faking it, I think the end result is probably still a KC TD, with the only difference being KC needing to go 50 more yards to score.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
This thread was vary amusing to read through... and I can't blame anyone for the things they were saying as it was happening

Reactions: TheClap

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I don't think the failed fake punt mattered that much. From the time KC scored their first TD, they moved the ball with ease the rest of the game. Had the Texans punted instead of faking it, I think the end result is probably still a KC TD, with the only difference being KC needing to go 50 more yards to score.

Yeah I get that and obviously there were a handful of decisions where things could have gone either way and KC was starting to roll anyway but...

The FG and fake juxtaposed strike me as mixed messaging from O’Brien. That’s my beef.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad