2019 AAF Season Thread

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Because the initial investor failed to fulfill his obligation. The league has the TV ratings to be sustainable, they just have debt they have to pay down and Dundon is, again, being the worst kind of VC.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Because the initial investor failed to fulfill his obligation. The league has the TV ratings to be sustainable, they just have debt they have to pay down and Dundon is, again, being the worst kind of VC.

TV ratings aren't sustainable and we don't know the TV deal they cut as Ebersol and others never released publically the info so there is no information about how much teams/league actually make from TV deal

Without Dundon the league would have died after week 2

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
That's incorrect. The TV ratings are double what the league needs to be sustainable, and the ratings have been steady all year.

Dundon is showing that he invested in bad faith. He wasn't interested in the football league and railroaded it as soon as he could. He invested for the gambling tech.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
TV was definitely trending in the right direction. Initially it was rumored that the league had to purchase air time, but then you see different networks start to pick up games, and the parent network adding broadcasts. The TNT this past weekend had nearly half a million viewers, how many other minor league sports have a national audience like that on a spring weekend during march madness? The AAF broadcasts were by far the highest rated program on NFLN and CBS-SN each week.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Seeing the crowds, or empty seats as the case was, at some of those games, it's not surprising. When the television cameras have to avoid showing this at almost all costs, you know they're in trouble. Empty lower sections, and no one in the end of the stadiums. Looked like pro soccer games (outside of MLS) in The US.

Some looked fairly well attended, but some clearly suffered heavily at the gate. TV ratings are nice, but what did that represent revenue wise for the league? And I ask because I have no idea.

Dunden and his decision indicate not nearly enough.

Sep 19, 2008
Vince will sabotage his own pet project?

People honestly here ...no offense...have no clue what is going on with the AAF or XFL and just want to chime in to make some snarky comment like "hehehe nobodiezzzz watching!" when ratings were clearly improving and above said that they were the highest rated programs on their respective networks. "But we only need one NFL league we don't need any other football COMPETING with the NFL" lol this is literally spring football. The only reason it failed is because Dundon pulled out due to roster disagreements. If he never did that this league would still be around today. Other leagues can and will succeed, especially with committed ownership that doesn't bail over minor disagreements.

Dundon essentially took his ball and went home :laugh: It is highly questionable that Vince would do that.

The XFL as stated has kind of a bad image from what people remember in the early 2000's but if they can start discarding that stigma and just play football while implementing reasonable rule changes I think people can be won over. Guys, you don't need to watch only hockey and baseball this time of year. You can have football too. And the TV numbers show that.

Sep 19, 2008
Seeing the crowds, or empty seats as the case was, at some of those games, it's not surprising. When the television cameras have to avoid showing this at almost all costs, you know they're in trouble. Empty lower sections, and no one in the end of the stadiums. Looked like pro soccer games (outside of MLS) in The US.

Some looked fairly well attended, but some clearly suffered heavily at the gate. TV ratings are nice, but what did that represent revenue wise for the league? And I ask because I have no idea.

Dunden and his decision indicate not nearly enough.

dude I watched some of the San Antonio Commanders games and they had a pretty packed Alamodome. I will say that Birmingham had some empty crowds but to be fair there was literally a tornado going on around the area during their game

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
dude I watched some of the San Antonio Commanders games and they had a pretty packed Alamodome. I will say that Birmingham had some empty crowds but to be fair there was literally a tornado going on around the area during their game

Yeah, I think for a minor league with zero advertising, they had some pretty good successes when it comes to attendance. San Antonio obviously was the huge success of the league, Orlando, San Diego and Birmingham did well. Memphis was kind of okay, would have been better if they weren't 2-6, plus there was some weather issues early, they finished around 13k average I think, i'm sure the league would have been happier with all teams in the 15k range though.

Arizona was the big disappointment, they didn't even average 10k despite being one of the best teams in the league. and Atlanta is Atlanta... i'm not sure why they went to these markets in the first place since their stated goal was to not compete with the NFL.

Salt Lake had cold weather and a Utah branded stadium, plus a bad record. Maybe being in like St. Louis, Oklahoma City and maybe Shreveport or Laredo would have been better choices for those bottom three teams. But I guess it depended on having management groups and facilities in the host cities.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wonder what the XFL is thinking right now.

RIP Hotshots. I never attended a game, nor watched one, but hey, at least they existed.
They're thrilled right now. They won't have to compete and they're going to get better players than they would have had otherwise, presuming the league does fold.

Yeah, I think for a minor league with zero advertising, they had some pretty good successes when it comes to attendance. San Antonio obviously was the huge success of the league, Orlando, San Diego and Birmingham did well. Memphis was kind of okay, would have been better if they weren't 2-6, plus there was some weather issues early, they finished around 13k average I think, i'm sure the league would have been happier with all teams in the 15k range though.

Arizona was the big disappointment, they didn't even average 10k despite being one of the best teams in the league. and Atlanta is Atlanta... i'm not sure why they went to these markets in the first place since their stated goal was to not compete with the NFL.

Salt Lake had cold weather and a Utah branded stadium, plus a bad record. Maybe being in like St. Louis, Oklahoma City and maybe Shreveport or Laredo would have been better choices for those bottom three teams. But I guess it depended on having management groups and facilities in the host cities.

They went there because of the access they had to decent facilities and likely logistics. I believe the league was given access to the Cardinals facilities prior to the season.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Wonder if Vince will delay the league till 2021. He just announced the thing a year ago. Maybe take another year to really get it right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad