Prospect Info: 2019 #98 - Matias Maccelli - LW

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I watched a good amount of Buffalo this year because 1. they were great to bet on prop wise for a 6/8 of the season and 2. they are a pretty damn fun team to watch.

Powers did not look like a rookie defenseman playing in the top 4. But he wasn't eye popping amazing or anything either. He got his first goal in February or March if I'm not mistake, and while that shouldn't be the parameter of a good defender it should absolutely factor in when comparing him to a rookie with 24 goals (Wyatt).

I'd consider Power's first season as very comparable to Chychrun's. Very clear this guy is going to be a great defender. But I thought Sanderson had a better season overall as far as defenders, especially the 2nd half.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it takes much projection when a Rookie D plays almost 24 minutes a night and gets 35 points without number 1 pp time. I just don't do the fancy stats so can't comment on what they were talking about.
I like Power. I probably would have slotted him at 2 as well. My point is in reference to the commentators who were asked on podcasts in recent weeks for their thoughts on who should be considered and Maccelli was almost always an afterthought.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
There's really only 1 Calder candidate this year.

As for Maccelli, you could argue he wins the "make your teammates better" Calder!

Reactions: Prarievarg

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Voters just weigh goals more strongly than assists, which is generally fair. If Maccelli had his points rebalanced to have more goals, I think voters would see he was only a few off of Berniers with fewer games played and reward him for it. I don't really disagree with goals being more valuable either.

To expect voters to look into the nuance of his primary assist to secondary assist ratio versus just weighing a goal as more valuable than an assist is all you need to know how this turned out. Voters aren't all held to the same criteria, so it is what it is.

He'll probably wind up 4th overall when vote counts are revealed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad