Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Love this pick the more I read up on the kid. HockeyProspect describes him as having the best hands of any forward in the draft and lauds his exception creativity and 2-step quickness.

This is a good bet to place. I’m a fan.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Is he Jonathan Dahlen with more speed?

I don’t think he has more speed - Hoglander isn’t a speedster but more a short-spaces skater, which Dahlen was too. I think the main differences are Hoglanders puck skills are truly elite and his effort/battle level is higher. Skating might be a trade off and something Hoglander still needs to work on (separation speed).

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I don’t think he has more speed - Hoglander isn’t a speedster but more a short-spaces skater, which Dahlen was too. I think the main differences are Hoglanders puck skills are truly elite and his effort/battle level is higher. Skating might be a trade off and something Hoglander still needs to work on (separation speed).
And he sounds to be a stronger harder to move off the puck guy.

One of things that concerns me with some of these smaller guys is as quick and shifty as they may be without that strength theres always the risk they dont adapt to the faster tighter NHL.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

One of things that concerns me with some of these smaller guys is as quick and shifty as they may be without that strength theres always the risk they dont adapt to the faster tighter NHL.

For sure, but without that concern Hoglander probably goes mid-first and out of reach for our 2nd. It’s a gamble but like I say, it’s a good bet to place. If he manages to put on the strength and clean up his leg mechanics, he could be a very good NHLer.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

From what I read and small viewing hoglander is reasonably fast on ice. He also is quite strong, i believe his combine result's and work out routines were getting media attention, he also seems to be pretty physical, not afraid to hit.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
Swedish Morrison? Convert him to Center.

Naslund - Petterson
Morrison - Hoglander
Bertuzzi - Virtanen

New West Coast Express

lol

Sit them in the locker room after every practice and force them to watch WCE era games and highlights for few hours.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Fun fact: He's from small, small town in Northern Sweden. Bockträsk, population 20. You might be able to find his house in Google Earth!

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
From what I read and small viewing hoglander is reasonably fast on ice. He also is quite strong, i believe his combine result's and work out routines were getting media attention, he also seems to be pretty physical, not afraid to hit.
I think he is technically not a speedster and can use skating improvements. But i do consider him a "speedster" because of his pacing, much like Pod. He is often going full speed a lot of the time, into the forecheck and launching himself into hits.

Swedish Morrison? Convert him to Center.

Naslund - Petterson
Morrison - Hoglander
Bertuzzi - Virtanen

New West Coast Express

lol

Sit them in the locker room after every practice and force them to watch WCE era games and highlights for few hours.
Ohhh god, i think he's stylistically nothing like Morrison.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm impressed that he takes being a pro athlete very seriously..The only possible issue could be lack of defensive commitment, which younger players have to learn..We've had some very gifted snipers in the past who've landed in the coaches doghouse because of it (Grabner,Hodgson with AV...Goldoblin with Green).

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
I think he is technically not a speedster and can use skating improvements. But i do consider him a "speedster" because of his pacing, much like Pod. He is often going full speed a lot of the time, into the forecheck and launching himself into hits.

Ohhh god, i think he's stylistically nothing like Morrison.
He will once they brainwash him like Blanka in Street Fighter the movie.

Reactions: thefeebster

Boesersflow123

Apr 28, 2018
Does anyone think he will be on Pettersson's left wing, is he this good? Or does he bump someone like Pearson down and play on Horvat's wing?

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
His ability to hang onto the puck is pretty good. Good escapability and even when you feel like he ran out of room, he can still somehow slip by with the puck.
Like to see slow the game down even more.

Its always a uphill battle for a forward at that size, but there's hope.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Does anyone think he will be on Pettersson's left wing, is he this good? Or does he bump someone like Pearson down and play on Horvat's wing?

You're jumping the gun here. If he was good enough that you could project him to be a top 1/2 LW then he wouldn't have gone 40th overall. The potential is there but he needs some development time.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
24th Overall: Nashville Predators – Nils Hoglander, LW (Sebastian)

In drafting Nils Hoglander, the Predator fanbase receive a potential reiteration of their current star forward, Viktor Arvidsson. The two possess nearly identical statures, with Arvidsson edging out Hoglander by 1 centimetre, but the 18-year-old is 4 pounds heavier, at 185 lbs. They also have similar playing styles in that they have a shoot first mentality. If their pick toward the end of the first round can even come close to emulating Arvidsson, Hoglander will be seen as an absolute steal at 24th overall.

Source: Montreal Canadiens: Mock Draft for the first round of the 2019 NHL Draft

23. Nils Höglander, LW / 12-20-00 / 5’9 185lbs / SHL
A skilled winger with good acceleration and a better release. Plays bigger than his size and has looked capable in the SHL this season. Quick cuts and quicker hands allow him to dart in and out of traffic.

Source: Cam Robinson’s 2019 NHL Draft Rankings – April 2019

27. Lepage -- Nils Hoglander, LW, Rogle (SWE): The Lightning never have hesitated to give small prospects opportunities and Hoglander (5-9, 188) could be the next one. And if you're going to take a flyer, you might as well do it with a player with top-end work ethic. He had 14 points (seven goals, seven assists) in 50 games in the Swedish Hockey League.

Source: Mock draft: Hughes No. 1 to Devils, Kakko second pick to Rangers

31) Buffalo Sabres (from St. Louis) — Nils Hoglander (LW, Sweden, Rogle SHL)

Height/Weight: 5-foot-9.5, 188 pounds (CO)
Playoff Stats: 2 GP-0 G-0 A-0 PTS (SHL), 1 GP-1 G-0 A-1 PTS (SuperElit-J20)
Regular Season Stats: 50 GP-7 G-7 A-14 PTS (SHL)
Central Scouting: 11 EUS
THW Larry Fisher: 29
THW Ryan Pike: 25
THW Andrew Forbes: 29
ANALYSIS: Like the Hurricanes with their Finns, the Sabres go with what they know here in taking another Swede. Hoglander has high-level skill and he’s a hard-worker too. Ralph Krueger would take an immediate liking to this kid. Hoglander isn’t big, but he’s sturdy and strong on the puck. He’d fit right in with Buffalo’s prospect pool that also includes Alex Nylander, Victor Olofsson, Rasmus Asplund and Marcus Davidsson among Swedish forwards. That is going to be a good group going forward.
The Sabres might go forward-heavy in this year’s draft after using five of six picks on defencemen in 2018, but to come out of the first round with Broberg and Hoglander would be quite the boon for Buffalo.

Source: https://thehockeywriters.com/2019-nhl-mock-draft-round-1/

26. Calgary Flames - Nils Hoglander

For some reason, I have seen the Flames linked to some of the really good defensemen left on the board despite having Juuso Valimaki and Oliver Kylington waiting in the wings. I’ve also seen them linked to Brayden Tracey, but I see Tracey falling to the second-round, especially if Höglander is available at No.26 for the Flames. Höglander is clearly the best forward still available based on this current mock draft and would be a huge addition to the Flames farm system.
Höglander probably has the best hands in the draft. The 5-foot-9, 185 lbs. winger can stickhandle in a phone booth and made veteran players in the SHL look foolish this year. As an 18-year-old, Höglander played a top-9 role with Rögle BK and recorded seven goals with seven assists (14 points) in 50 games.
When you get to the bottom of this write-up and watch the first two minutes of his highlight tape, you’ll see why the Flames can’t pass on this kid. He plays with a lot of pace and seems to have the puck on a string. Could the Flames potentially have Gaudreau dangling on one line and Höglander dangling on the second line? Look out. The Swede would feel right at home in Calgary, joining fellow countrymen Backlund, Elias Lindholm, Rasmus Andersson, and others.
Scouting Report

When he has the puck on his stick, he’s trying to make a skilled play. His puck handling is lightning quick and he often leaves defenders in a knot with how he dangles while in stride. He’s not a selfish dangler, though, as he’s a great passer and looks for his teammates constantly. He’s not a typical playmaker you see run a power play and hang around the half-wall hitting seam passes. He’s always in motion and makes creative feeds. Hoglander isn’t the biggest forward at 5-foot-9, but he plays with a lot of energy and engages well. He’s got a bit of an edge to his game, too. — Corey Pronman (The Athletic)

Source: NHL Mock Draft 2019: No.26 — Nils Höglander

28. Carolina Hurricanes

Nils Hoglander (left wing, Rogle BK)
The 5-foot-9 Hoglander is a feisty, skilled winger who plays with pace and tenacity. While the size isn’t ideal for a left wing-type player, there is a growing number of these fast, skilled wingers who don’t shy away from contact despite the lack of prototypical size. Hoglander makes a lot of sense for a Hurricanes team that can still use more high-end skill, speed and tenacity among its forward group after a surprising run to the conference final.

Source: https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/br...t-10-hughes-leads-way-usa-hockey?int#slide-36

25. Washington Capitals — Nils Höglander (LW/RW, SHL)

I’d like to see Bobby Brink leave the board soon, but I’m not sure he’s a fit for a Capitals organization that lacks the prospect depth for a swing like that. Instead, I think they go for Nils Höglander, a Swedish winger who brings an intriguing balance of safety and upside to the draft table.
Logging a full season in the SHL this year, Höglander has now recorded three seasons of professional hockey (he spent parts of his 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons in the Allsvenskan). His skill extends far behind this role, but Höglander is energetic and can play a bottom-six type game if necessary. For these reasons, I believe his floor as a prospect is quite high. However, Höglander also carries no shortage of upside, making him a very attractive prospect. He has great wheels, mesmerizing hands, and his offensive instincts are quite advanced. It’s hard not to see at least a top 9 player here, with potential for even more.

Source: 2019 NHL Mock Draft - DraftGeek

20. Nils Hoglander

Hoglander's rise this season was capped by an insane, lacrosse-style goal that wowed observers. If Zegras and Boldy are creative than Hoglander is on another level. I've seen comparisons to Kevin Fiala (most notable from Uffe Bodin), but I think Hoglander is a better passer. His skating is average.

Source: 2019 NHL Draft Rankings: No. 31 to 1

Additional Source with a LOT of information here where SBNation mock him at 21: NHL Mock Draft 2019: Pittsburgh Penguins select Nils Hoglander with 21st pick

Last edited:

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Might be my favorite pick of our draft. Hard working with a great skill set. Can't wait to follow him more closely this upcoming season.

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
Really loved our top 2 picks, we've now got a trio of forward prospects to be very excited about in Pod, Hog & Madden

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Hard to dislike this pick. He was a potential late 1st round pick who has “the best hands in the draft.”

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Didn't know much about him and was hoping to get a defenseman. But it would be impossible to be unhappy after reading his scouting reports and reading all the info about him. Incredibly intrigued. If he has any sort of offensive game, he looks like he'll be a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad