Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Version 8 | we're on a break Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll be fairly surprised if a lot of UFAs sign short-term/high AAV deals in order to try and cash in later. The only guy I could see doing that is Barrie. Hall probably won't, Pietrangelo, who's now 30, is almost assured not to do so. They'll be going for long-term security more than anything else (not that they'll be settling for cheap either). The only guy I know of who has continually bucked that trend is Paul Stastny.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It is hard for a rookie to have their peak early just simply because of roles and earning time, so if they break in at ~22-24, they will naturally have a later peak. Players that break in around 18-19-20, they tend to peak somewhere between 22 and 24. Some might extend to 25/26, but most don't.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'll be fairly surprised if a lot of UFAs sign short-term/high AAV deals in order to try and cash in later. The only guy I could see doing that is Barrie. Hall probably won't, Pietrangelo, who's now 30, is almost assured not to do so. They'll be going for long-term security more than anything else (not that they'll be settling for cheap either). The only guy I know of who has continually bucked that trend is Paul Stastny.
Yeah I think the short-term UFA deals will mostly be for the mid-level guys like Namestnikov. He likely won't get the $$$ he wants this offseason, so a short-term deal might make sense for him. He's also only 27 still so he could sign a 1-3 year deal and still cash in as an UFA again at 28-30.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Just thinking out loud here--wonder if Vegas would be willing to dump Paul Stastny's salary. I could see Jost headed the other way, and the Avs solve their 3C problem quite perfectly. Stazz is UFA in 2021, and by then they can either look within (maybe Bowers is ready by then, but I think he will ultimately be a better wing than a center) or look for a 3C outside the organization.

I don't know if Jost swings that deal all by himself, but if Vegas is game I don't see why not.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Just thinking out loud here--wonder if Vegas would be willing to dump Paul Stastny's salary. I could see Jost headed the other way, and the Avs solve their 3C problem quite perfectly. Stazz is UFA in 2021, and by then they can either look within (maybe Bowers is ready by then, but I think he will ultimately be a better wing than a center) or look for a 3C outside the organization.

I don't know if Jost swings that deal all by himself, but if Vegas is game I don't see why not.

Stastny is not really suited for a 3rd line role since he's scoring at a higher clip. Plus it might be weird having him back after this much time. Kadri fills the role.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I definitely think we could get Hall on a short term deal which really works well for both sides. If we send a 1 year 9-10 mil it allows us a big swing for the cup and the opportunity to entice Hall to re-sign at a lower hit. If it doesn’t work no worries and we have the money to give to Makar and Landy.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I definitely think we could get Hall on a short term deal which really works well for both sides. If we send a 1 year 9-10 mil it allows us a big swing for the cup and the opportunity to entice Hall to re-sign at a lower hit. If it doesn’t work no worries and we have the money to give to Makar and Landy.
I'd rather 2-3 years but one year works too. Better give it to an elite top 6er than lose it in unused cap space like this year.

Reactions: Linds and Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Agreed. Of the two big fish available Hall/Petro I could see Hall doing this in Colorado. Petro isn’t going to jump ship to a division rival for a year.

Hall is still only 28, he could play with MacKinnon put up good numbers and then alter his reputation with a successful playoff run. Then he could still cash in on a long term deal in his 29-year old season.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stastny is not really suited for a 3rd line role since he's scoring at a higher clip. Plus it might be weird having him back after this much time. Kadri fills the role.

He would be just fine in that role and could rotate 2nd line duties/usage with Kadri, since he himself isn't an ideal 2C. They'd both get plenty of ice time, and the team as a whole would benefit from a more defensively responsible guy in the middle who could take on those roles that MacKinnon and Kadri simply aren't suited for.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Why do people want to sign Hall? This team should be competing for a Cup not a top-5 pick. :sarcasm:
We could do both. ;)

We've just have to find a way to acquire a 2021 1st rounder from a team that's on the verge of becoming the next Ottawa or San Jose. Maybe we could trade Graves+ to a team that overachieves in this years playoffs (eg. Arizona/Chicago/Minnesota/Montreal) for their 2021 1st, or we swap our 2020 1st for their 2021 1st... and then sit back and collect the tears while we contend for the cup while vying for 1st overall.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

I proposed acquiring Stastny in a thread on the main trade board about a month ago which you might find relevant to explore. Value of: - Stastny to Colorado

I think one of the benefits with acquiring Stastny would be that we'd then likely be first in line to sign him to a 35+ $750k contract (with performance bonuses) when he hits UFA in 2021, thereby allowing us to ice a ridiculously competitive roster in 2021/22 with Mackinnon/Kadri/Newhook/Stastny down the middle. It might not be the biggest role Stastny could get as an UFA, but he'd get to come home and wind down his career back home in Colorado while going for a cup so that might be enough to entice him.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He would be just fine in that role and could rotate 2nd line duties/usage with Kadri, since he himself isn't an ideal 2C. They'd both get plenty of ice time, and the team as a whole would benefit from a more defensively responsible guy in the middle who could take on those roles that MacKinnon and Kadri simply aren't suited for.
Kadri is more suited for that role IMO than Stastny is.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kadri is more suited for that role IMO than Stastny is.

Probably, I'm just envisioning the line blurring a bit, not a wholesale swap, per se. Kadri is still not an ideal 2C, his vision, playmaking ability, and hockey sense aren't great. But he has the talent, shooting, and plain scrappiness to where he makes an impact. He's played 3C before, and I'm not seeing Stazz usurping him by any means, but I see him doing a little more than your standard generic 3C.

I think Kadri was fine last year and will be again whenever the hell hockey starts up. But I think he'd be a ton better with someone like Stastny on the depth chart rather than the rotating cast of characters they had at 3C this season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Probably, I'm just envisioning the line blurring a bit, not a wholesale swap, per se. Kadri is still not an ideal 2C, his vision, playmaking ability, and hockey sense aren't great. But he has the talent, shooting, and plain scrappiness to where he makes an impact. He's played 3C before, and I'm not seeing Stazz usurping him by any means, but I see him doing a little more than your standard generic 3C.

I think Kadri was fine last year and will be again whenever the hell hockey starts up. But I think he'd be a ton better with someone like Stastny on the depth chart rather than the rotating cast of characters they had at 3C this season.
I think it'd obviously help Kadri's game if he had a legitimate 3C behind him taking some defensive matchups some nights and also helping kill penalties.

But if that doesn't work, I have no issues with Kadri as the 2C taking the big defensive responsibilities. He proved he can do it, and do it well, in Toronto prior to John Tavares showing up.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Kadri sucked at 3C. He's fine at 2C for the rest of his contract then hopefully Newhook will be ready to take that spot.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If we do bring in Staz (which I fully support), he should be the clear 3C here. He isn't the player he used to be anymore, and while his excellent hockey IQ has allowed him to remain an effective player, he's down to being a 40-ish point player at this stage of his career, and will only trend downward.

His defensive play and remaining offensive punch would make him an excellent 3C, but a poor 2C. Giving him heavy defensive minutes with guys like Compher and Nuke would be the best usage of him here.

And just personally, I would dance and cheer if I got to see Stastny wearing our uniform again. Loved him as a player and seeing him lift the Cup here would be extra sweet.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kadri sucked at 3C. He's fine at 2C for the rest of his contract then hopefully Newhook will be ready to take that spot.

I think he was fine, he just struggled a bit not having Mitchell Marner on his wing setting him up for prime scoring opportunities every shift. That would happen to any player in that position. Either way, I'm not proposing shifting Kadri to 3C permanently or anything like that, that's not why he was brought in. Just saying the line between 2C and 3C doesn't have to be definitive if you go out and get a good 3C like, well, Stastny.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd take Stastny on a 3rd line over Kadri... Stastny can PK, win faceoffs, and can elevate his linemates better than Kadri. Kadri is better individually (offensively and defensively), but isn't the all around sort of guy that Stastny is.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’d be all for bringing in Walnuts to play 3C, but do you guys really think Compher is that bad at that position?

I thought he was alright this year, but played a little below his ability.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Stastny has objectively been a better offensive player than Kadri. He's scored at a higher pts/gm pace every year except three times. He's got a career 0.77 pts/gm compared to Kadri's 0.64. He's got three seasons of 79, 78, and 71 points that are higher than Kadri's career high 61 points.

Paul's problem is there was a five year stretch recently where he didn't play more than 66 games in a season. So his point totals were a little lower.

Staz has much better vision. Kadri's the much more physical player and goal scorer. They're close defensively, but I give the edge to Kadri for his shutdown ability.

In a hypothetical situation, I think ideally you'd have Staz as 2C with the more offensive players and Kadri as 3C with the grittier more defensive players. Faceoffs and PK don't play a big factor IMO. The 2C can be better at these than the 3C.

Staz may be on the verge of losing that offensive advantage though at age 34. He had a much less productive year with 38 points in 71 games this year. So if he can't regain his scoring touch, he'll end up being a better fit as a 3C soon.

I don't see them bringing Staz back with Kadri on the team though. They've had multiple chances to bring him back but haven't for whatever reason. I'm not sure Joe likes the way he left. He may have given them the impression he'd be more likely to re-sign than he actually was. That's how it seemed at the deadline.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’ve got to be the only one that likes him at centre lol

I’d be fine getting another 3C, but I wouldn’t be willing to give up any of the big prospects to get it. I don’t feel the upgrade over Compher is worth that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad