Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #6

Who is the #6 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Colten Ellis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joel Hofer

• Dakota Joshua

• Tanner Kaspick

• Mathias Laferriere

• Hugh McGing

• Jeremy Michel

• Austin Poganski

• Evan Polei

• Nolan Stevens

• Tyler Tucker

• Jake Walman

• Keean Washkurak

• Vadim Zherenko

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Went Perunovich. Love that the choice is between an undersized Dman with great offensive instincts and a big shutdown Dman. You need both types of players to have success.

Motion to just skip poll 7 and award it to whichever guy doesn’t win this poll? They’re pretty much the only two getting votes.

Edit: Also really feel for Erik Foley. He’d be in this conversation if not for that terrible concussion he sustained. It looked like such an innocent play too at the Traverse tournament. On the cycle he moved the puck below the goal line and took a hit. Head hit the glass and that’s all she wrote for the 2018/19 season for him. Really sucks.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Went Perunovich. Love that the choice is between an undersized Dman with great offensive instincts and a big shutdown Dman. You need both types of players to have success.

Motion to just skip poll 7 and award it to whichever guy doesn’t win this poll? They’re pretty much the only two getting votes.

Edit: Also really feel for Erik Foley. He’d be in this conversation if not for that terrible concussion he sustained. It looked like such an innocent play too at the Traverse tournament. On the cycle he moved the puck below the goal line and took a hit. Head hit the glass and that’s all she wrote for the 2018/19 season for him. Really sucks.

I watched most of the TC tourney via stream but I didn’t recall the hit...but sounds like it was pretty innocuous. Hopefully he can come back and play as yes, he seemed like an intriguing prospect.

And yeah, Perunovich and Mikkola currently tied at 27 each with the most anyone else getting being 2. Seems pretty obvious that the loser of this poll would win the next one.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like I'm the only one who is worried Perunovich skating. Need to work out that a lot.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I watched most of the TC tourney via stream but I didn’t recall the hit...but sounds like it was pretty innocuous. Hopefully he can come back and play as yes, he seemed like an intriguing prospect.

And yeah, Perunovich and Mikkola currently tied at 27 each with the most anyone else getting being 2. Seems pretty obvious that the loser of this poll would win the next one.
I just remember it stood out to me because I saw his head hit the glass and he looked a little stunned for a second. He never hit the ice or anything and skated off for the bench like normal and just never came back. Really bizarre. Nothing like the Thornton hit on Perron. Just a pretty normal play.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I voted Perunovich again. But like last time, the margin between he and Mikkola is very slim. Whichever of them doesn't win this poll will be my obvious choice in the next one.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I voted Perunovich again. But like last time, the margin between he and Mikkola is very slim. Whichever of them doesn't win this poll will be my obvious choice in the next one.
How can you evaluate them? Another is 23-year old who is edge of crack on NHL level when call-up to guy hasn't played single game at pro and is currenlty playing university hockey and is 20-years old.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Someone else posted this, but I think we should skip a poll and go straight to #8 because Mikkola and Perunovich are running away with #s 6&7.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Looks like I'm the only one who is worried Perunovich skating. Need to work out that a lot.
Nope you are not.... Much like Walman (and Schmaltz) with inflated college numbers... Perunovich has a LONG way to go. His "position" is defense. Even his college team doesn't rely on him for it. Schmaltz's team did and won. That says a lot. Honestly, look past the numbers as they are against lesser talent. Along with being a "very good" skater, he is very small and slight. I hope I eat these words, but he isn't going to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level. I will be surprised, if he survives in the AHL.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Nope you are not.... Much like Walman (and Schmaltz) with inflated college numbers... Perunovich has a LONG way to go. His "position" is defense. Even his college team doesn't rely on him for it. Schmaltz's team did and won. That says a lot. Honestly, look past the numbers as they are against lesser talent. Along with being a "very good" skater, he is very small and slight. I hope I eat these words, but he isn't going to be a consistent contributor at the NHL level. I will be surprised, if he survives in the AHL.
I find the bolded very interesting.

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
Which brings up a good point, Mikkola has good size for a defenseman.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
His college team won back-to-back titles because they had deep and talented defense. Perunovich was their top offensive defenseman, Jets prospect Dylan Samberg their top defensive defenseman, and Kings prospect Michael Anderson somewhere in between. They were leaning on Samberg in certain situations, not hiding Perunovich.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I vehemently disagree with the bolded unless you feel the exact same way about Dunn at every stop along his carer, including his role on the Blues. If that is the case, then I think we just fundamentally disagree about the role of offensive, puck moving defensemen in the game moving forward.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I vehemently disagree with the bolded unless you feel the exact same way about Dunn at every stop along his carer, including his role on the Blues. If that is the case, then I think we just fundamentally disagree about the role of offensive, puck moving defensemen in the game moving forward.
I disagree with the tone of his statement suggesting an undersized offensive Dman has no place in the NHL if he’s not a lockdown defender, but what you bolded is true in a sense(and it’s true of Dunn). Neither guy is relied on to be a defensive stud and that’s okay. Sure, it would be awesome to have a D group full of Pietrangelo/Parayko types who are great in both ends, but that’s not very realistic. It’s okay to have a guy like Dunn or Perunovich on the backend without expecting them to do the heavy lifting defensively just as it’s okay to have guys like Bortuzzo or Bouwmeester who you can trust with difficult assignments, but probably aren’t going to produce much. It’s all about balance. Same goes for the forward group. Not everyone can be Ryan O’Reilly so you put guys who produce points but don’t defend particularly well like Tarasenko(though he made several awesome defensive plays in the playoffs) in prime offensive positions and let your checkers like Barbashev and Sundqvist kill penalties and take tough matchups. You just can’t have a team full of Dunn’s or Tarasenko’s or Bouwmeester’s or Bortuzzo’s.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Perunovich. He probably has the highest "upside" of our prospects outside of Kyrou and Bokk. Could totally bust but I like that he has at least the potential of a 2nd pair offensive defenseman. I don't even think Reinke has that, God bless him.

I would also put Bokk ahead of Kyrou. That's right.

We really have pretty weak prospect group now that Thomas isn't considered. Goes with the cup territory and sending out a few first rounders though.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Perunovich. He probably has the highest "upside" of our prospects outside of Kyrou and Bokk. Could totally bust but I like that he has at least the potential of a 2nd pair offensive defenseman. I don't even think Reinke has that, God bless him.

I would also put Bokk ahead of Kyrou. That's right.

We really have pretty weak prospect group now that Thomas isn't considered. Goes with the cup territory and sending out a few first rounders though.
Agree with everything you said here.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Well stated. We don't need more D prospects, we need better D prospects. I realize it is not a pressing need, as Dunn, Parayko, Edmundson and Pietrangelo (hopefully) all have quite a few years. I would just feel better if we had a blue chip prospect, even if he's 3 or 4 years away, on defense. Preferably on the left side.
Tough to do that without having a 1st. I like perunovich but would’ve loved Calen Addison at that pick. Anyway, I’d be surprised if we don’t spend one of our first two picks on D next year but at the same time we’re in pretty good shape relatively long term on the Blue line. I’d like us to take the best available projected player in the draft, rather than drafting for need.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
His college team won back-to-back titles because they had deep and talented defense. Perunovich was their top offensive defenseman, Jets prospect Dylan Samberg their top defensive defenseman, and Kings prospect Michael Anderson somewhere in between. They were leaning on Samberg in certain situations, not hiding Perunovich.
Did you also notice he wasn't in their top 4 when they had the lead in their first title? Don't get me wrong. I hope he pans out to be Risto Siltanen...if you are an old Blues fan, then you know who this is.... I hope he develops a cannon from the point and can hopefully play adequate defense. I'm hard pressed to believe he can be a Dunn or a Shattenkirk on defense. They were THE guys on their junior and college teams, and are decent defensively. I don't sit Dunn for Perunovich anytime soon. Perunovich will have to score and a lot to justify a roster spot.

Let this sink in.... Jordan Schmaltz and Dillon Simpson with the North Dakota Fighting Sioux were the #1 defensive pairing in college hockey offensively and defensively....just a few years ago. Walman was THE guy for Providence. Perunovich sits for someone else to play defense in his place. Don't overrate this guy. He didn't get drafted twice for a reason. We could've gotten him in the 5th or 6th round.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon IC

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Perunovich is a fascinating case. I hope I'm wrong but I didn't understand the pick and don't think he ever comes close to being an NHL regular. He's probably already got a plane ticket to Europe booked by his agent.

The kid is too small for the NHL and always will be.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Did you also notice he wasn't in their top 4 when they had the lead in their first title? Don't get me wrong. I hope he pans out to be Risto Siltanen...if you are an old Blues fan, then you know who this is.... I hope he develops a cannon from the point and can hopefully play adequate defense. I'm hard pressed to believe he can be a Dunn or a Shattenkirk on defense. They were THE guys on their junior and college teams, and are decent defensively. I don't sit Dunn for Perunovich anytime soon. Perunovich will have to score and a lot to justify a roster spot.

Let this sink in.... Jordan Schmaltz and Dillon Simpson with the North Dakota Fighting Sioux were the #1 defensive pairing in college hockey offensively and defensively....just a few years ago. Walman was THE guy for Providence. Perunovich sits for someone else to play defense in his place. Don't overrate this guy. He didn't get drafted twice for a reason. We could've gotten him in the 5th or 6th round.
Let me get this straight. He won't be NHLer bc he wasn't the best defensively as a freshman on national championship team?

And why would you sit Dunn for him? Nobody suggested that. If you think you can have only 1 offensive-minded defenseman that starts to explain why you can't see Perunovich potential.

But other college defensemen went on to struggle in pros. Geez. I suppose there has never been a big defenseman drafted highly out of CHL that busted?

He was passed over twice bc he was small guy playing in lower league. After starring in NCAA he got drafted highly. Lots of talk going into draft that he would be 2n3 or 3rd rounder. But you have your pulse on that more than our scouts. Sure.

Look, nobody knows whether he will be productive NHLer at this point. But given our prospect pool, it's reasonable to believe he has best chance of being good NHLer as any of our defensive prospects.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Let me get this straight. He won't be NHLer bc he wasn't the best defensively as a freshman on national championship team?

And why would you sit Dunn for him? Nobody suggested that. If you think you can have only 1 offensive-minded defenseman that starts to explain why you can't see Perunovich potential.

But other college defensemen went on to struggle in pros. Geez. I suppose there has never been a big defenseman drafted highly out of CHL that busted?

He was passed over twice bc he was small guy playing in lower league. After starring in NCAA he got drafted highly. Lots of talk going into draft that he would be 2n3 or 3rd rounder. But you have your pulse on that more than our scouts. Sure.

Look, nobody knows whether he will be productive NHLer at this point. But given our prospect pool, it's reasonable to believe he has best chance of being good NHLer as any of our defensive prospects.
Draft Profile: Scott Perunovich

I hope he is 5'9". Honestly...I doubt it. His highest ranking was in the mid 70s mostly in the 100s. Could've signed him as a free agent. Like I said, I hope he pans out. I see a whole lot of guys I would see as prospects before him...such as Toropchenko.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Draft Profile: Scott Perunovich

I hope he is 5'9". Honestly...I doubt it. His highest ranking was in the mid 70s mostly in the 100s. Could've signed him as a free agent. Like I said, I hope he pans out. I see a whole lot of guys I would see as prospects before him...such as Toropchenko.
Like Husso or previously Perron, we could have signed him as a free agent after he initially went undrafted. But after he showed stronger against better competition folks liked him in the draft. I think we would all feel more comfortable with him if he was 6'3" but the way the game has evolved guys like Krug and Spurgeon have shown you can be excellent defenseman at 5'9". Will Perunovich be a quality NHLer? I don't know. But I don't see many Blues prospects as having the skill or upside he possesses.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
While I am not ready to dismiss Perunovich just yet, I think Perry makes some good points, especially about when he was drafted. IIRC, we took him in the 2nd round because we didn't have a 3rd, and we thought he wouldn't last until the 4th. I was extremely unhappy with that decision, not because of anything against Perunovich, bur because of the other options that were still on the board. Apparently our scouts, (especially Big Walt), liked him so much they jumped the gun on him. He could have been selected later, or even, ( and this is news to me), signed as a free agent. It is water under the bridge now, but I think messed up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad