Prospect Info: 2019 - 2020 Top 20 Blues Prospect List - #6

Who is the #6 Prospect in the Blues Prospect Pool?

• Colten Ellis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joel Hofer

• Dakota Joshua

• Tanner Kaspick

• Mathias Laferriere

• Hugh McGing

• Jeremy Michel

• Austin Poganski

• Evan Polei

• Nolan Stevens

• Tyler Tucker

• Jake Walman

• Keean Washkurak

• Vadim Zherenko

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Top 20 Blues Prospect List:
1) Jordan Kyrou - 91.9%
2) Dominik Bokk - 84.2%
3) Klim Kostin - 43.4%
4) Ville Husso - 41.3%
5) Mitch Reinke - 36.5%

Reinke takes the #5 spot, narrowly beating out Mikkola. Reinke has surpassed my expectations thus far, so here's to hoping he continues his upward trajectory.

Same as last time, Mikkola is my vote here. After that, Perunovich.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Going with Perunovich this time. Lower floor then Mikkola, but his ceiling is a lot higher.

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Perunovich, then Mikkola, Alexandrov, LaFerierre, I think.
This would be my exact order as well.

People are sleeping on Laferierre. Over a point per game in the QMJHL as a June birthday draft+1 season. I think if he was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round rather than the 6th he'd be getting a lot more attention.

Reactions: Blueston

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
This would be my exact order as well.

People are sleeping on Laferierre. Over a point per game in the QMJHL as a June birthday draft+1 season. I think if he was drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round rather than the 6th he'd be getting a lot more attention.
Boom/bust guy, I think, but he’s trending in the right direction for sure. Then again, I thought Blais would be a boom/bust guy, and he totally transformed his game into a bottom 6 physical guy after he realized he wouldn’t make it as a top 6 player. Not sure if LaFerierre has that in him, but he has a few years before he has to get to that point.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Poganski as well. Kid plays EXACTLY the style of hockey that Berube loves.
Solid guy for sure - I suspect most voters are valuing potential upside more than the “safe” 4th liner who has a higher chance to make the NHL - but that’s what’s great about these polls - it’s very subjective and depends on the voter’s value system. If we had a poll asking which players had the greatest chance to become an NHL regular, I suspect the results woukd be different. Case in point - I have LaFerierre over Poganski, but Poganski has the greater chance to make the NHL (IMO).

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Reinke is still listed and you should probably remove Connor Bleackley since he wasn't given a QO
Blah, I was too busy focusing on not including MacEachern that I forgot about Reinke as well. @EastonBlues22, please help?

Thanks for the info on Bleackely. I knew about most others, but not about him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Perunovich, then Mikkola.

Best d-man on back to back NCAA champs, very nice vision. Definitely undersized though. Will be interested in seeing how he adjusts to the pro game in a year (I’m assuming he’ll turn pro next summer).

Reactions: Celtic Note

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Actually surprised reinke went over perunovich. Easily perunovich here and then a toss up between alexandrov, Miikola and Laferriere for me.i luv Ellis, but it’s tough with goalies. He’s impressed the hell out of me since I started watching him after we drafted him.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Solid guy for sure - I suspect most voters are valuing potential upside more than the “safe” 4th liner who has a higher chance to make the NHL - but that’s what’s great about these polls - it’s very subjective and depends on the voter’s value system. If we had a poll asking which players had the greatest chance to become an NHL regular, I suspect the results woukd be different. Case in point - I have LaFerierre over Poganski, but Poganski has the greater chance to make the NHL (IMO).

That would be true for me. I’m warming to Poganski as I do think he could be a solid 4th liner for a bit but I also see that type of player as being relatively easy to obtain and usually for cheap. You can generally get a guy like that for a mid to later pick or for free on the waiver wire...and usually around the NHL minimum of $700k.

For me, I prefer to aim for guys with higher upsides even if they’re a bit more likely to bust.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Poganski as well. Kid plays EXACTLY the style of hockey that Berube loves.
Could be a sleeper.

Same draft year as Barbashev, but Poganski went to UND for a full four years.

Very different trajectories, but I can see Poganski hard-nosing his way to the NHL.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think Poganski has 4th line upside and 4th line floor. I like his as a player, but I would prefer someone wit more upside at this point

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Toss up between Mikkola and Perunovich for me.

Ultimately went with the upside of Perunovich, but you could easily convince to go the other way. Hopefully they both hit.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
"Undersized" defenseman out of the USHL/NCAA. Seems to be the typical late bloomer and a product of the change in philosophy in the NHL

Correct. He was downright frail in juniors. He put in a lot of work to bulk up in college.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
We need more defense prospects. I am still puzzled by the fact we didn't select any D in the draft.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
We need more defense prospects. I am still puzzled by the fact we didn't select any D in the draft.

I don't know that I'd agree with needing "more" D prospects.
They might not be the greatest crop but we do have 4 guys that fit the definition of prospect and have legit upside to hit the NHL(Reinke, Mikkola, Perunovich, Walman, Tucker). Unless a team is actively trying to rebuild their blueline, most teams don't go much deeper than 4 guys with legit NHL upside.

That said, I would definitely agree that we need better D prospects(and I mean MUCH better). Other than a long shot in Perunovich, none of them project to be better than 3rd pairing. We definitely need to inject the system with some potential top 4 guys.

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I don't know that I'd agree with needing "more" D prospects.
They might not be the greatest crop but we do have 4 guys that fit the definition of prospect and have legit upside to hit the NHL(Reinke, Mikkola, Perunovich, Walman, Tucker). Unless a team is actively trying to rebuild their blueline, most teams don't go much deeper than 4 guys with legit NHL upside.

That said, I would definitely agree that we need better D prospects(and I mean MUCH better). Other than a long shot in Perunovich, none of them project to be better than 3rd pairing. We definitely need to inject the system with some potential top 4 guys.
Well stated. We don't need more D prospects, we need better D prospects. I realize it is not a pressing need, as Dunn, Parayko, Edmundson and Pietrangelo (hopefully) all have quite a few years. I would just feel better if we had a blue chip prospect, even if he's 3 or 4 years away, on defense. Preferably on the left side.

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Probably because 2019 was not that deep for defensemen in general.

In my opinion, 2019 wasn't that deep of a draft to begin with. Bill Armstrong has really shown to go for the subjective "BPA" as opposed to positional need. So if he drafts the players he does, it's safe to assume he didn't think much of a defenseman at any point the Blues could have selected one. Looking at the defenseman that could have been selected after the Blues picks, I would much rather have the guys the Blues do now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->