2019-2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 3: The Prelude to Playoff Positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yeah, Sanford is clearly Chief's back door boy, no matter how we plays he's in the lineup. Hopefully this is just showcase and trading him with some package.

Reactions: MissouriMook

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I look it like this. Berube knows that ROR/Perron works, Schenn/Schwartz works, Thomas/Bozak works, Sunny/Barbie works, and those 2 work even better in the bottom 6.

Steen will eventually get bumped down to the 4th and recreate our ideal 4th line. Then you have Tarasenko, Blais, and hopefully a trade acquisition. Kyrou is sort of an x-factor, but I don't expect him to make much of an impact when the lineup is fully healthy in playoff mode.

Until the lineup is healthy and in playoff mode after the trade deadline, then Berube will just plug players onto those pairs.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
I like that Mac-Sunny-Barbie are back on a line they're awesome together.

I don't like Sanny with O'Rielly and DP but Chief always goes back to it for some reason.:dunno:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I have to admit, I was kind of hoping to see Schwartz stay with ROR and Perron, as well as having Thomas stay in the middle. But I’m not going to get upset about it. Berube has earned my trust and the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I would like to see Sanford removed from the group. But that has to come from the GM.
It seems like Army is going to have to do with Sanford what Mo did a few years ago with Allen Craig. If the manager/coach can't help himself but put an inferior player in a position of prominence, take away the option.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It seems like Army is going to have to do with Sanford what Mo did a few years ago with Allen Craig. If the manager/coach can't help himself but put an inferior player in a position of prominence, take away the option.
Let’s hope that Armstrong does just that. But personally I still feel that’s Berube has earned my trust so I can’t criticize too much.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah I’m completely done with Sanford. Cannot defend him. Honestly, they could put MacEachern with ROR and Perron and I’m betting Mac would produce more points than Sanford has... this guy really needs to get dealt because we need an upgrade in the top 9.

In other news, good to see Mikkola recalled and Walman sent back down. I thought Jake looked atrocious against Vegas.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Maybe he’s getting showcased

puzzle-thumb.php

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

OK, it is officially open season on Berube. I don't care what he did last season or the start of this, the lineup above is now officially ridiculous.

There is absolutely no way Sanford should be anywhere near the game group the way he played on Saturday. But instead of stapling his sorry ass to a press box chair, HE GETS A ****ING PROMOTION!!!!

Steen has been a corpse of his former self for weeks while playing up in the line up, gets reunited with Barby and Sunny on Saturday and actually has a halfway decent game (some up, some down) and immediately gets moved back on a line with Thomas and Bozak, a line he has almost single-handedly neutered for the last few games?

WHY, CRAIG?!?

WHY?!? WHY?!? WHY?!? WHY?!? WHY?!?

Yikes.

We are first place in the Conference by 5 points, 2nd place in the NHL and have been missing at least two top 9 forwards for about 6 weeks now (which includes our best pure goal scorer). We were in the midst of an 8 game winning streak just last week. To say the first 40 games is "the start" of this year and the last 3 games should make it open season on the head coach is just absurd.

How did Steen "almost single-handedly neuter" Thomas/Bozak the last few games? Thomas had 5 points in 4 games and Bozak had 4 points in 4 games paired up with Steen. Both of them put up goose eggs the very first game that line was separated. Thomas is excelling with the puck on his stick and seems to greatly benefit when one of his line mate's simply focuses on defensive responsibility, cycling along the wall and then creating chaos in front of the net. Steen was doing a great job in that role and Steen-Thomas-Bozak was the team's best line for a week. I don't think Steen deserves a boatload of praise, as that role can be played by a replacement-level NHLer with good possession skills. Maroon did it well last year and I was fine letting him go. But Steen did play the role well and it makes complete sense to put our best line from a week ago back together when Bozak and Thomas didn't find any chemistry with Schenn.

I honestly can't wrap my head around claiming that Thomas and Bozak were both neutered by their linemate over a 4 game stretch where they were point per game players and the team's best line.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Double post to talk about what I read into these lines

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Sanford-O'Reilly-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Bozak
MacEachern-Barbashev-Sundqvist

extras: Brouwer, de la Rose, Blais

I said this a month ago and I still believe it is true. This group needs top 9 help from outside the organization.

Schenn-Thomas-Bozak had no chemistry and it is starting to be a trend that Thomas dominates as the 3C but is quiet when he gets a top 6 spot. Without getting help, I don't think the bottom 6 is strong enough to overcome a mediocre 2nd line while he finds himself in that role. Watching him play, I have no doubt he will be a top 6 center in the near future, but he is still just 20 and hasn't risen to the occasion quite yet. Considering the negative ripple effect to the bottom 6 when we put Thomas on the 2nd line, I don't think it is in the team's best interest to give Thomas the time to figure it out right now. For now, I think the team is best served by letting Thomas beat lesser competition as the 3C and roll out arguably the best top to bottom center group in the NHL.

Sanford shouldn't be in the lineup, but I certainly don't want Brouwer or DLR on the 2nd line. Bumping someone else up their harms the bottom 6. We are still probably a month away from Blais being able to plug the 2LW spot back up. With the 14 guys listed there besides an injured Blais, I can't come up with 4 lines I love. Swap Sanford for a legit top 9 winger from outside the organization and suddenly I can create a bunch of combos I like. Swap Sanford with a legit middle 6 vet in that 2LW spot and I really like those lines. Or use that middle 6 vet to create a better 3rd line if you want to give Thomas a longer look in the top 6. Put that vet with Schwartz/Schenn and see what Kyrou can do on the left side with ROR and Perron (or slide Perron to the LW). Any way you slice it, replacing Sanford with a middle 6 caliber player and I think the lineup looks real dangerous. And then let the chips fall if/when we start to get healthy. I'm not losing any sleep if we bring in a vet and suddenly Kyrou/Mac/Blais/Sanford/Steen are all fighting for 2 lineup spots instead of 3. I'm totally fine with that "problem."

We have done a better job than I expected since Blais went down. 13-6-2 without both of them is pretty darn impressive. But we've also relied on .924 goaltending in that stretch which is probably not sustainable. If we are going to make any type of rental acquisition this year, we should do it now to help the team hold off the Avs for the next month until Blais returns.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I think it is worth noting that Sanford has only dressed in 6 of our last 14 games and has only topped the 12 minute mark in one of those games (12:04 TOI). In his last 2 games, he has played 12:04 and 8:27. He was not good in those 2 games and has really only succeeded this season with ROR and Perron. I think Berube putting Sanford with ROR/Perron right now is much more due to the lack of other options than it is a fascination with Sanford. This offensive group has hands down been at its best when you run pairs of:

Schwartz-Schenn-XXXX
XXXX-ROR-Perron
XXXX-Thomas-Bozak.

That's what he has gone back to and now he is trying to fill in the blanks with the best options. Given the unreliability of our 4th line lately, I think it makes sense to decide that the team is best served with Barby/Sunny being an elite 4th line. If these are the lines we go with, I expect Sunny and potentially Thomas to occasionally take some shifts with ROR/Perron in order to get their minutes up and limit Sanford.

I could be wrong, but I think Berube's goal here is less about fascination with putting Sanford into that spot and more about the fact that so far all of his other efforts to fill that spot have resulted in one of the lines in the top 9 going completely MIA.

Edit: but as I alluded to in my previous post, I do think it is time to bring in external help.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I could be wrong, but I think Berube's goal here is less about fascination with putting Sanford into that spot and more about the fact that so far all of his other efforts to fill that spot have resulted in one of the lines in the top 9 going completely MIA...
I think you nailed it here.

Reactions: MissouriMook

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I've cooled off since my earlier comments about the lines, but unless they're showcasing Sanford on the second line I'd rather see Mac there TBH.

If Blais gets back by the road trip right after the ASG, that means we have to figure something out for six more games without him. I, too, am hopeful that Sanford gets moved in a deal for Top 6/Middle 6 help and would like to see Thomas stay at C, even if it is on the 3rd line. But they HAVE to get someone on his line that can consistently put the puck in the net. When Blais is back (and assuming we get outside help) I would like to see...

Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Blais-ROR-Perron
New Guy-Thomas-Bozak
Steen-Barby-Sunny

If we can't find the right fit for "new guy", slot Sunny on that LW and replace him on the 4th line with DLR or Mac. Enough with moving Steen up in the lineup - he's dead weight in a scoring role.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Agreed. On the bright side, Parayko is back and De LA Rose is in the press box where he belongs. Also I guess Blais is skating if he is listed on the lines; although, that probably means Kyrou is close to be sent back down as opposed to Brouwer.
Blais skating means little considiring his injury was a broken wrist. His legs are fine. But taking a slash to the wrists might be a different story

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I’m a Blais fan, but it is reasonable to expect him to be a competent top 9 player when he comes back? Or are we just going to be be frustrated with a new guy.
Forechecking and cycling aren't very reliant on the wrist, so I think it's good chance he'll be effective immediately on his return. If he's blowing chances left and right due to his shot being off, he can get bumped down to the 4th line and just keep hitting.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
If it means getting Sanford out of the top 6, I’d try out Kyrou with 57/90 and put the Sasky line back together.

Perron-O’Reilly-Kyrou
Schwartz-Schenn-Bozak
Sanford-Thomas-Sundqvist
MacEachern-Barbashev-Steen

That third line looked fantastic together earlier this year too.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Three game losing streak, eight game winning streak, three game losing streak.

Just 8-6 over the last 14 games - the boys are treading water. Need to step it up. Chief is losing his patience.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Just 8-6 over the last 14 games - the boys are treading water. Need to step it up. Chief is losing his patience.
Going 8-6 pace for the rest of the season if probably acceptable, if the team is well prepared for the post-season, especially if some of those losses include an OT point (as they did in the sample you mentioned).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
One year ago today... not only does Binnington make his first start, but Blues players hear Gloria in Philadelphia and make that a thing. The rest is history.

What a day that turned out to be.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Blais skating means little considiring his injury was a broken wrist. His legs are fine. But taking a slash to the wrists might be a different story

Per Lou Korac's Twitter: "Sammy Blais has done quite a bit of stick handling today, which is a good sign considering his wrist injury. Skating hard the entire time. Carl Gunnarsson as engaged as I've seen him since he went down with his arm injury. And Parayko back his old self. #stlblues"

Take it for what it is worth. I don't think they'd have him out at practice if he wasn't on the mend. Yea, he'd might be skating, but not stick handling or running drills. I used a poor word choice to say skating in my earlier comment, when I meant being more involved in practice. I assumed as much since that was the first time I've seen Korac listg him as an extra since the injury. Then coupled with the above tweet, it does seem he is taking on more in practice.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

8-5-1.

"Just" a 100 point pace over an 82 game season. To compare, the 2nd place Avs are currently on pace for 103 points. Only 9 NHL teams are currently on a 100 point pace (including us). That is more than treading water even with the worst-case-scenario sample size you can currently use.

Most coaches are going to change up the lines on a 3 game losing streak and a 0-2-1 road trip is obviously not what you want. But we are far away from this being a legitimate long-term concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad