2019 - 2020 St. Louis Blues - Defending the Cup - Part 2: The Depth from Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Somehow, my post when Tarasenko scored never got on the thread. So here it is!

Tarasenko knocks one into Grubauer that bounces off him into the net!!!! Blues lead 3-1!!!! :vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

OOEPS!!! How many times have I made a promise to myself NOT to leave The GDT between periods, because I sometimes can't find my way back! I NEVER learn!!! :ha: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Not sure what others have been seeing, but I thought last game was Steen’s best of the season. I doubt he can hold down a top6 spot for a long time, but I think he deserves and can function effectively in the top 6 for now. I also expect balanced minutes with that 3rd line, so it’s a little misleading.

Yep, Steen had a great game and is getting the job done on defense as well. Not sure if any of you heard Bortuzzo's interview on spittin Chiclets this week but he had a ton of praise for Steen, saying he can't even put into words all of the things he does for the team. So I'd say he's more important than some fans seem to think and I doubt we'll be buying him out. Respect the Steener!

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Yep, Steen had a great game and is getting the job done on defense as well. Not sure if any of you heard Bortuzzo's interview on spittin Chiclets this week but he had a ton of praise for Steen, saying he can't even put into words all of the things he does for the team. So I'd say he's more important than some fans seem to think and I doubt we'll be buying him out. Respect the Steener!
If they don’t buy out (or trade more likely) Steen, they’ll probably trade Bozak. Talking about next offseason.

Bluesin7

Jan 29, 2014
I hope to god Berube starts to experiment with the lines and shows some creativity. The team has been crap since the first game and our underlying metrics are among the worst in the league.

Todays game was a lot better until 19:54 of the 2nd period when the most atrocious, inexcusable goal I’ve ever seen went in. Even the game against Vancouver was looking fine until that bogus 5 on 3 was gifted to them. Regardless the team hasn’t put up a good 60 minute performance all year. Not one.

Not that I’m overly concerned because this is a top 5 roster in the league and undoubtedly the best team in the conference. But why is Berube so reluctant to change anything? He’s mixed up D-pairings and done nothing upfront.

Run something like:
Schwartz-Bozak-Schenn
Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Fabbri-Thomas-Blais
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Steen

Then try something a little different on D
Dunn-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Bortuzzo-Faulk

And for the love of god never start Allen again. That experiment has failed over and over again and the definition of insanity is repeatedly trying something that doesn’t work. Tampa Bay has like 4 backup caliber goalies who’ve played in the NHL I’m sure we can make something happen. Hell even call up Husso he can’t possibly be worse.

We're trying to show that Allen can be a servicable goaltender so we can ship it off, unfortunately it hasn't worked that well so far. I'm hoping we can have a few good games with him vs low tier teams to boost his stats, then ship him off without having to lost to much to have a team take his cap

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Looks like Blais might be out. Sanford is skating in his place. Which is mind boggling. Should 100% be Fabbri instead.
To be fair, every time Sanford draws back in the lineup after being scratched for a period of time he looks like a world beater for a few games and gives us all an inkling of hope. Might as well exploit that while we can.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Looks like Blais might be out. Sanford is skating in his place. Which is mind boggling. Should 100% be Fabbri instead.
I would be quietly asking for a trade if I were Fabbr's representation. If the coaching staff is down enough on him after his last 2 games to play Sanford over him, I don't see a realistic avenue for him to become an NHL regular here. I wouldn't be making demands and I'd be advising Fabbri to keep working hard, be a good teammate and let his agent be the one to professionally express the frustration. But this is starting to look like a textbook case where the player needs out in order to have a chance to successfully resurrect his career.

Edit: just put 2 and 2 together that he is represented by Newport, who also represents Petro and Edmundson. Pretty sure his actual agent is also Petro's agent. That's not great.

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Would much rather trade Sanford. No idea why he’s getting a shot ahead of a guy that needs more games and at least plays hard.
filthy mitts and defensively reliable.
I take low-risk/low reward-Sanford 10 times out of 10 over Fabbs, who is high-risk/low-reward at this point. Frantic without production is exciting for the fans, but not the coach.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
I would be quietly asking for a trade if I were Fabbr's representation. If the coaching staff is down enough on him after his last 2 games to play Sanford over him, I don't see a realistic avenue for him to become an NHL regular here. I wouldn't be making demands and I'd be advising Fabbri to keep working hard, be a good teammate and let his agent be the one to professionally express the frustration. But this is starting to look like a textbook case where the player needs out in order to have a chance to successfully resurrect his career.

Edit: just put 2 and 2 together that he is represented by Newport, who also represents Petro and Edmundson. Pretty his actual agent is also Petro's agent. That's not great.

Maybe just maybe the coaching staff does not have the love affair that fans seem to have with fabbri. I give him props for getting back out there but missing two year of playing competitive hockey has lower his ceiling emensly.
He really only had three good months of hockey in the 4 years he has been in the league, and followed up that three months by not training seriously in the summer and getting hurt. He was not playing well the year he blew his knee up the first time..

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
filthy mitts and defensively reliable.
I take low-risk/low reward-Sanford 10 times out of 10 over Fabbs, who is high-risk/low-reward at this point. Frantic without production is exciting for the fans, but not the coach.

Sanford has much more potential than fabbri... but he was part of a trade for a fan favorite so he has that to live with, with fans. See Eric Brewer as another example of a solid player being crucified because of who he was in a player transaction with.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Sanford has much more potential than fabbri... but he was part of a trade for a fan favorite so he has that to live with, with fans. See Eric Brewer as another example of a solid player being crucified because of who he was in a player transaction with.

Much more potential than Fabbri? That's overstating it, even if we're talking about Fabbri after two ACL surgeries. Maybe the coaching staff aren't in love with either player and are evaluating both as best they can while trying to field not just a competitive team, but a Stanley Cup contending team.

Maybe just maybe the coaching staff does not have the love affair that fans seem to have with fabbri. I give him props for getting back out there but missing two year of playing competitive hockey has lower his ceiling emensly.
He really only had three good months of hockey in the 4 years he has been in the league, and followed up that three months by not training seriously in the summer and getting hurt. He was not playing well the year he blew his knee up the first time..

Fabbri's only had 3 months of good hockey in 4 years? You must've forgotten his rookie season(37 points in 70 games) and his playoff performance that season(15 points in 20 games). The playoffs alone are almost 2 months, so I'm not sure where you're getting 3 months from. But Ok, I'll bite. Fabbri's had 2 ACL surgeries. What's Sanford's excuse for his roughly 3 months total of good hockey in 3 years in the NHL, while also being a year older?

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

You say that as if that wouldn't be a reason for his representation to do exactly what I described.

He's a 23 year old former 1st round pick who looked like a legitimate player before 2 major injuries sidelined him for 1.5 straight seasons. If his current team values him as a healthy scratch behind guys like Sanford and MacMac, then he should be respectfully seeking to get moved.

This isn't a "the Blues are stupid because they won't give him a chance" argument. This happens in sports. Part of being a good management group is doing right by guys who you don't have in your long term plans. One of the best ways to earn good will among players/agents is to be willing to move a young guy to a team that will give him a legit middle 6 role if you don't have any intention of giving him that chance.

Let's knock off the revisionist history. He was on pace for 46 points as a 21 year old the year he got hurt. He also had twice as many takeaways as he did giveaways and positive possession numbers. That was the follow up to a 37 point rookie season (42 point pace) with a positive takeaway/giveaway ratio, strong defensive numbers and an absurdly good playoffs. On what planet is that "only 3 months of good hockey?"

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I think we might have something with the Steen - ROR - Perron line. They had a short stint together last year too and their numbers are amazing.

TOICF%FF%GF%xGF% (n)xGF% (m)xGF% (c)
108:3663.8466.4110064.0765.0069.94
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

(n) = NatutalStatTrick.com
(m) = moneypuck.com
(c) = corsica.hockey

Corsica doesn't have 19-20 stats up yet unfortunately but that's only 10 minutes. Number should actually go up with the 19-20 stats.

Reactions: Honeycutt

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Much more potential than Fabbri? That's overstating it, even if we're talking about Fabbri after two ACL surgeries. Maybe the coaching staff aren't in love with either player and are evaluating both as best they can while trying to field not just a competitive team, but a Stanley Cup contending team.

Fabbri's only had 3 months of good hockey in 4 years? You must've forgotten his rookie season(37 points in 70 games) and his playoff performance that season(15 points in 20 games). The playoffs alone are almost 2 months, so I'm not sure where you're getting 3 months from. But Ok, I'll bite. Fabbri's had 2 ACL surgeries. What's Sanford's excuse for his roughly 3 months total of good hockey in 3 years in the NHL, while also being a year older?

Nothing you said disputed fabbri has only had three good months of hockey in 4 years.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
You say that as if that wouldn't be a reason for his representation to do exactly what I described.

He's a 23 year old former 1st round pick who looked like a legitimate player before 2 major injuries sidelined him for 1.5 straight seasons. If his current team values him as a healthy scratch behind guys like Sanford and MacMac, then he should be respectfully seeking to get moved.

This isn't a "the Blues are stupid because they won't give him a chance" argument. This happens in sports. Part of being a good management group is doing right by guys who you don't have in your long term plans. One of the best ways to earn good will among players/agents is to be willing to move a young guy to a team that will give him a legit middle 6 role if you don't have any intention of giving him that chance.

Let's knock off the revisionist history. He was on pace for 46 points as a 21 year old the year he got hurt. He also had twice as many takeaways as he did giveaways and positive possession numbers. That was the follow up to a 37 point rookie season (42 point pace) with a positive takeaway/giveaway ratio, strong defensive numbers and an absurdly good playoffs. On what planet is that "only 3 months of good hockey?"

He also came to camp that after his rookie year in noticeably bad shape and his lack of training and dedication to being a pro is the reason he has has major injuries every year he has played either high level junior or pro hockey.
He is only playing 7 mins a game. There is a reason. I would rather have Walker recalled and move up barbs or sunny or if maybe give kostin a shot.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
He also came to camp that after his rookie year in noticeably bad shape and his lack of training and dedication to being a pro is the reason he has has major injuries every year he has played either high level junior or pro hockey.
He is only playing 7 mins a game. There is a reason. I would rather have Walker recalled and move up barbs or sunny or if maybe give kostin a shot.
Where did this new found premonition of showing up out of shape after the rookie year come from?

Also, are you a doctor or are you talking out of your ass by claiming being in poor shape led to ACL tears? You don’t have to answer that, we already know.

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO
Nothing you said disputed fabbri has only had three good months of hockey in 4 years.

So his entire rookie year, plus those playoffs, plus a decent portion of the following season, are only equal to 3 months total? Lol, wow, ok. Be careful man, you might pull something bending the laws of space-time to fit that narrative. But I'm sure Sanford appreciates it.

Reactions: MissouriMook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad