Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion, part quattro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Honestly no not much, for some reason I thought his stats were alot better than they are :laugh:.

Gonna pull a 180 and hope we dont sign him

I was concerned that the Sharks were going to get him at the deadline. So happy we avoided him.
I love how Simmonds played, but he has fallen off a cliff bad.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Marleau's market price is NOT $4M.
Both Labanc and Meier will be bridge deals to reduce value. Both William Karlsson and Hertl's deals take in UFA years which inflate the price.
As for Gambrell, his AAV was $925k so the qualifying off would be a one year $971,250 contract. Why would he reject that, and then sign for $750k?
I'd be surprised if Thornton signs for as much as $2.5M.

While I don't think Gambrell will go as low as 750k, I do think you can get him at 850k on a ONE-way contract. I think he is good enough to stay with the big club all year long but that also gives him insurance that he will still be making his money if he gets sent down.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
I like Simmonds but the risk of him getting overpaid is huge, so I'd stay away. I do think he'd be a fit though and would bring another dirty nose around the net and some aggression. Guys like that draw attention which doesn't get picked up by fancy stats.

GM's lose their jobs on July 1st. We need to be very careful - there really aren't any slam-dunks.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Sharks will not sign anyone except Marleau at 1m or less. Whatever is leftover after Meier and Labanc will go to jumbo save 2m to keep space for mid year moves.

Maybe there will be a depth signing like fear was two years back. I could also see dougie take a flyer in a guy like Brandon Pirri. He had 15 goals in 33 games for Vegas the last two years and a +7 last year. They have no cap space so pirri on a one year, 1m deal fits the budget and might slot into the top nine of the cheap.

Personally if they sign Marleau and pirri on 1m deals that should be sufficient for me. We’lol see what the kids can do and dougie will have flexibility throughout the year to add as needed. Personally, I think Pirri may be the steal of the entire UFA market in terms of production per dollar.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
At this point I'm hoping for a trade to get a top 6 player. Pretty much guarantees the contract won't be too stupid.
I’m just preparing my main board defenses to the masses who will claim that Nyquist is apart of our aging core should we retain him tomorrow. Just roll with me on this one DS lol
lol! Sure no problem.:laugh:
I like Simmonds but the risk of him getting overpaid is huge, so I'd stay away. I do think he'd be a fit though and would bring another dirty nose around the net and some aggression. Guys like that draw attention which doesn't get picked up by fancy stats.

GM's lose their jobs on July 1st. We need to be very careful - there really aren't any slam-dunks.
I don't see this as a real concern considering who the Sharks GM is. He hasn't made any fatal July 1st mistakes so far from my perspective. Not everything has worked out as anticipated but he hasn't blown stupid money on risky players and crippled the teams ability to rectify the mistake. Toronto had to give up a 1st to get rid of Patty. Dallas is going to be in a similar spot soon too with Pavs. If someone give Pana man 13mil they'll be job hunting soon as will the idiot that pays 10mil per for a goalie.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
At this point I'm hoping for a trade to get a top 6 player. Pretty much guarantees the contract won't be too stupid.

lol! Sure no problem.:laugh:

I don't see this as a real concern considering who the Sharks GM is. He hasn't made any fatal July 1st mistakes so far from my perspective. Not everything has worked out as anticipated but he hasn't blown stupid money on risky players and crippled the teams ability to rectify the mistake. Toronto had to give up a 1st to get rid of Patty. Dallas is going to be in a similar spot soon too with Pavs. If someone give Pana man 13mil they'll be job hunting soon as will the idiot that pays 10mil per for a goalie.
I bet you eat your words in pavs. He will bring so much more off the ice to Dallas that has been missing there. They have a great young D with Heiskanen, klingberg, and Lindell and a solid top line with Benn, seguin, radulov, and a stellar goalie in bishop. Pavs will give them a great 2C or wing option and I bet he is still highly effective at 37 years old even if he is super slow. He has great hands and those don’t age. Look for klingberg and heiskanen to put up 60+ pts each with 20 of those on pavs tip or rebound goals. Their pp will also be fearsome.

Also watch for burns to see his production drop by 10-20 pts with pavs not there to score when even the shooting lane is blocked. Burns purposely shoots a bit wide looking for pavs stick. It looks bad when it misses but it hits a hell of a lot. Hertl is the only guy in the ballpark with those kind of tipping skills and his is still miles behind Pavs.

Marleau is totally different. His game is speed, that fades drastically with age. I knew he would suck for Toronto and was fine to see him go. I questioned his effort a lot and I saw him declining fast. He also offered little off the ice. Pavs is totally different.

Reactions: hockeyfan55

hockeyfan55

Nov 24, 2009
We ain’t winning the cup next year. 0 depth and no faith in a Top 6 with Meier Kane and Labanc. All disappearing acts last POs

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
We ain’t winning the cup next year. 0 depth and no faith in a Top 6 with Meier Kane and Labanc. All disappearing acts last POs
Boy you're just full of hot takes. Labanc wasn't in the top 6, Kane was injured and Meier put up like 15 points in 20 games I think. For the sake of expediency I'll give you the first 2 but saying Meier was a no show is just dumb. I especially love that you conveniently forgot to mention Couture & Hertl in the top 6...Wait, are you Debbie Downer Logan Couture posting here? :sarcasm:

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
So how are we handling the Pavs thing?

"Trader" or Captain American Greed?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I don't think DW will re-sign Jumbo (nor Patty) until Meier and Labanc are locked up.
Yeah. No doubt. I think currently the priority is locking up Meier and then Labanc. Once that is done they push for a top-9 forward in UFA or trade and then get to locking up Jumbo. Patty is most likely the last guy on that list that they lock up.

Jul 10, 2010
what about trying to pry Kyle Turris away from nashville now that they have Duchene?

6m average, rumoured to be available

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
So a lot of us have Jumbo pencilled in at about 2-2.5M. What if he is stubborn about wanting 4M or so this year. Do you guys still want to bring him back knowing that it would cost us a chance at landing a top-6 FA?

With Pavs gone, I honestly do not know how Jumbo feels about coming back or if his demands adjust similarly.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
So a lot of us have Jumbo pencilled in at about 2-2.5M. What if he is stubborn about wanting 4M or so this year. Do you guys still want to bring him back knowing that it would cost us a chance at landing a top-6 FA?

With Pavs gone, I honestly do not know how Jumbo feels about coming back or if his demands adjust similarly.
no

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Absolutely not. Jumbo can have 1-2 mil thats about it. We dont have the cap and if he and marleau want to win they gotta come cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad