2019-2020 Senators Coach Talk

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I actually think it's a pretty good staff, with the unfortunate exception of the head coach.

DJ Smith will have to win me over because I haven't seen or read much that makes me think he'll be a force in returning this team to Stanley Cup contention.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I actually think it's a pretty good staff, with the unfortunate exception of the head coach.

DJ Smith will have to win me over because I haven't seen or read much that makes me think he'll be a force in returning this team to Stanley Cup contention.

Time will tell.

This team and it’s GMs goes through coaches like something that goes through geese. At some point the GMs need to be held responsible.

I am waiting to see how this coaching staff works out and not dumping on them until they have had a decent opportunity to show us. However, I am not expecting much, given the lack of talent on the ice. The coaches can only do so much.

The players are the key to success and sucking. I view the GM and owner responsible for the lack of talent.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
You get what you pay for.

Dumpster diving for Leafs scraps seems to be the current MO.

The belief is when the Maple Leafs come to the CTC they drag an excessive amount of Leafs fans in with them, therefore by having enough Leafs personnel on both teams, it creates some confusion in the stands and allows them to cheer for both teams. Also Ceci is a mole and apparently still wears a Senators Jersey under his Leafs one whereby, when nobody is watching, he takes off the Leafs Jersey and puts the puck into his own net.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The belief is when the Maple Leafs come to the CTC they drag an excessive amount of Leafs fans in with them, therefore by having enough Leafs personnel on both teams, it creates some confusion in the stands and allows them to cheer for both teams. Also Ceci is a mole and apparently still wears a Senators Jersey under his Leafs one whereby, when nobody is watching, he takes off the Leafs Jersey and puts the puck into his own net.
Nice!

Seems plausible. ;)

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Always been one of his strength

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Time will tell.

This team and it’s GMs goes through coaches like something that goes through geese. At some point the GMs need to be held responsible.

I am waiting to see how this coaching staff works out and not dumping on them until they have had a decent opportunity to show us. However, I am not expecting much, given the lack of talent on the ice. The coaches can only do so much.

The players are the key to success and sucking. I view the GM and owner responsible for the lack of talent.

1 question .. How well did he contribute to the development of the young players? He may think about wins. Dorion may think about wins. How did he do putting the young guys in position to succeed and have they improved. That's it. Winning will be nice here and there but the young guys have to be a big part of the wins.
If a preseason game in Vancouver where you are getting very close to axe time and young guys that are vying to make the team end up with 10 minutes of icetime compared to 20+ for Brown and Ennis . As well as when Zaitsev and Hainsey get considerably more ice than Chabot and a lot more than Brannstrom , also trying to make the team. tells me something about him that does not get my hopes up. He wants to show what he is doing is working , his vets need to feel it, but he has to be patient as well. When would be the last game Brown and Ennis had 20 minutes plus each?

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The biggest risk with Smith has everything to do with him being a rookie head coach. The Ottawa Senators over the next 2 years are not his end game. He wants to have a 15+ year NHL head coaching career, so he needs to establish himself. Is he willing to sacrifice competitiveness this year to focus on development, or does he want to eek out as many wins as possible so people say, "look what he got out of a bad roster". Does he trust that Dorion and management have enough runway that they could survive another 2 years of poor performance in the standings? These are all questions. The worst possible scenario is that DJ tries to be competitive now and does what Boucher did - lean on veterans and expect young players to play mistake free.

We'll see how it goes, but it's why I was on board for a veteran coach, like Martin, to shepherd the team through the next ~2 years. He could afford to lose a lot of games and focus on development without it affecting his legacy or future prospects.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
1 question .. How well did he contribute to the development of the young players? He may think about wins. Dorion may think about wins. How did he do putting the young guys in position to succeed and have they improved. That's it. Winning will be nice here and there but the young guys have to be a big part of the wins.
If a preseason game in Vancouver where you are getting very close to axe time and young guys that are vying to make the team end up with 10 minutes of icetime compared to 20+ for Brown and Ennis . As well as when Zaitsev and Hainsey get considerably more ice than Chabot and a lot more than Brannstrom , also trying to make the team. tells me something about him that does not get my hopes up. He wants to show what he is doing is working , his vets need to feel it, but he has to be patient as well. When would be the last game Brown and Ennis had 20 minutes plus each?

To be fair regarding the defence TOI, When you look at 5v5 min, it's pretty close. I think only Zaitsev had more min then Chabot 5v5.
But Zaitsev and Hainsey had like 5Min of PK each.

Chabot played less then 30 seconds of special team because they scored so quick on the PP.

I would agree that i would have like more ice time for Brown though

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be fair regarding the defence TOI, When you look at 5v5 min, it's pretty close. I think only Zaitsev had more min then Chabot 5v5.
But Zaitsev and Hainsey had like 5Min of PK each.

Chabot played less then 30 seconds of special team because they scored so quick on the PP.

I would agree that i would have like more ice time for Brown though
That's ok.. you put the other guys out more 5 on 5 ,, not hard . I have coached a lot of hockey and that's very common

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Very good points and I tend to agree with you. I will join the bandwagon at the quarter post if that stuff continues. :)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The biggest risk with Smith has everything to do with him being a rookie head coach. The Ottawa Senators over the next 2 years are not his end game. He wants to have a 15+ year NHL head coaching career, so he needs to establish himself. Is he willing to sacrifice competitiveness this year to focus on development, or does he want to eek out as many wins as possible so people say, "look what he got out of a bad roster". Does he trust that Dorion and management have enough runway that they could survive another 2 years of poor performance in the standings? These are all questions. The worst possible scenario is that DJ tries to be competitive now and does what Boucher did - lean on veterans and expect young players to play mistake free.

We'll see how it goes, but it's why I was on board for a veteran coach, like Martin, to shepherd the team through the next ~2 years. He could afford to lose a lot of games and focus on development without it affecting his legacy or future prospects.
Great points.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yeah, not impressed with the coaching staff. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, but there already a couple of red flags.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like the staff. I like DJ Smith and I have from the beginning. DJ is honest and knows hockey, and obviously players are loyal to him, which means a ton.

Let’s give these guys a chance.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You know what, he is figuring it out. You know what, the young players will learn a lot from the vets. You know what, they are going to have to play that style to win games. You know what, DJ Smith says you know what. A lot.

I would laugh my ass off if a reporter answered “what” , just once haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad