2019-2020 Senators Coach Talk

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
DJ has the reigns. Not too much said on the supporting cast.

Should be an interesting cast and crew. I sense a year of hits and fights... not sure I am convinced on the other parts of the game yet. ...let's see.

new-ottawa-senators-head-coach-d-j-smith.jpg

Denis "D. J." Smith
Head Coach

(born May 13, 1977) is a Canadian professional ice hockey coach and former player. He is the current head coach of the Ottawa Senators of the National Hockey League (NHL) Likes a bit of truculence

jack-capuano-1040x572.jpg

Jack Capuano
Associate Coach

Spent the last two seasons as associate coach with the Florida Panthers. Served over a decade coaching in the New York Islanders organization, highlighted by parts of seven seasons and 483 games as the team's head coach between 2010 and 2017.

Davis Payne
Assistant Coach

Spent the last two seasons as associate coach with the Buffalo Sabres and the five previous seasons as an assistant coach with the Los Angeles Kings where he helped the team win the Stanley Cup in 2014. He also spent 137 games as head coach of the St. Louis Blues between 2009-12.

Bob Jones
Assistant Coach

Joins D.J. Smith's staff after spending last season as an assistant coach with the Texas Stars, Dallas' top development affiliate in the American Hockey League. Before joining the Dallas organization, Jones, who has more than 20 years of experience as a coach in the OHL, spent three seasons as head coach of the Oshawa Generals.

Pierre Groulx
Goaltending Coach

Groulx brings more than 15 years of NHL experience, including time with Ottawa, the Montreal Canadiens and Florida Panthers. Groulx maintains significant familiarity with the Senators as 2019-20 will be his ninth year working in the Nation's Capital.

Mike King
Video Coach

King joins the Senators after spending the last three seasons as the video coach of the AHL's Hershey Bears. In 2018, King joined the Washington Capitals for the club's playoff run, assisting the team's coaching staff as part of its Stanley Cup victory. Before joining the Bears, King spent two seasons as a development coach with the OHL's Sudbury Wolves.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have no complaints with DJ and his hand-picked coaching staff at this time. These are early days and we need to give him a chance to see what he can do with a team bereft of top line talent due to GM trades to save the owner money. :)

DJ is a brave soul for taking this on.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
My philosophy on coaching has always been never to judge a coach before year 3. Much like one good season does not define you as a good coach, a bad season should not define you as a bad coach either. There have been numerous examples of coaches who have tremendous first seasons, even winning the Adams, only to follow it up with a bad season. So which is the norm? Anyone's guess at that point...hence why we go back to why I suggest basing judgement on a three year period because that third year can determine which one of the previous two seasons was an anomaly.

Reactions: Cosmix

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have no complaints with DJ and his hand-picked coaching staff at this time. These are early days and we need to give him a chance to see what he can do with a team bereft of top line talent due to GM trades to save the owner money. :)

DJ is a brave soul for taking this on.

As long as DJ is able to teach the kids how to play to their full potential. Pick the kids that are ready for NHL, grow their game first by letting them play their game while educating them continuously on their mistakes so that they rectify and learn from their early year experience in the bigs. That should be the priority now. Tank will happen auto-magically.

By end of next season with more upper echelon players drafted, they can think about being a top 15 team.

If ownership issues are resolved and the team is able to spend to retain talents, this team CAN become a contender in 3 to 5 years.

FYOUS!!

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Leafs will need more changes going forward. More top 6 players we will have the inside scoop on.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I’m not sure we should be comparing the last quarter of an NHL season in full swing, coached by a well known assistant, comprised of almost all of the same players that had played together all year....

.... with a handful of preseason games where we started with three full teams of almost entirely new players, where players hadn’t played a meaningful game in months, and were being coached by an entirely new coaching staff.

It could just be me though ;)

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'm betting on DJ lasting about 18-24 months before he gets the boot.
Let's be real, he's probably got a 3 year leash. They're not supposed to make the playoffs in the next 2 years, so unless its clear that the young guys haven't developed, he'll get at least 3 years.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Let's be real, he's probably got a 3 year leash. They're not supposed to make the playoffs in the next 2 years, so unless its clear that the young guys haven't developed, he'll get at least 3 years.

That's a very realistic scenario, but my own gut feeling says that after this season, management will expect major improvement, and DJ won't be able to get this team to the next level, whatever that may be, and they'll finally get someone with some actual NHL HC experience to guide the kids forward.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, damn.

First it was all the players in the league getting younger...now the coaches in the league are younger than I am. Dammit.

As for the coaching staff....what exactly are we expecting they give us when we give them the worst roster in the league? At this point, all I want to see is a solid foundation built with the kids. Focus on the little details of the game. Make sure the kids are finishing their checks, following their assignments, doing all the nitty gritty little things consistently that will turn them into long-term pros in the NHL.

And we won't really know how well the staff is doing until at least the trade deadline. Heck, maybe not even this season. I'll be holding off judgement on these guys for awhile. Just way too early to even think of evaluating anything.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it’s obvious that PD has no illusions about the roster, or any unrealistic expectations.

All GMs talk up the team in terms of expectations, it’s Part of the GM speak package. We used to all take it for what it’s worth, but these days some folks like to use it as a hammer to knock PD around with.

We all know the team will come along slowly for the next few years, PD is actively building a roster to that effect, not rushing the kids, and adding veterans based on their leadership and character instead of bigger dollars for skill.

Unless the coach loses the room, which I doubt given his rep for positivity, accountability, and good old fashion hard work, he’ll be the guy leading the squad through the development years of the rebuild. He’s extremely well liked by young players, and his resume looks just about perfect for this job.

The more interesting question is if he’s able to grow with the team and continue to lead it once it’s time to compete.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it’s obvious that PD has no illusions about the roster, or any unrealistic expectations.

All GMs talk up the team in terms of expectations, it’s Part of the GM speak package. We used to all take it for what it’s worth, but these days some folks like to use it as a hammer to knock PD around with.

We all know the team will come along slowly for the next few years, PD is actively building a roster to that effect, not rushing the kids, and adding veterans based on their leadership and character instead of bigger dollars for skill.

Unless the coach loses the room, which I doubt given his rep for positivity, accountability, and good old fashion hard work, he’ll be the guy leading the squad through the development years of the rebuild. He’s extremely well liked by young players, and his resume looks just about perfect for this job.

The more interesting question is if he’s able to grow with the team and continue to lead it once it’s time to compete.

How is it obvious? Why not just be straight forward about it. Why say one thing and mean something else. He's a used car salesman

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
How is it obvious? Why not just be straight forward about it. Why say one thing and mean something else. He's a used car salesman

Was gonna echo this exactly. He may believe it, but considering what he's been parroting all off-season it's far from "obvious".

On the topic of the coaching staff, I said it before and I'll say it again, the clear favoritism shown by DJS to "his guys" so far is giving me some serious Boucher-PTSD. As part of a fully functioning NHL franchise it wouldn't matter because the front office makes the calls about what players will be on the roster, but here in Ottawa where the head coach is also the defacto AGM it could lead (and possibly already has) to some issues long-term.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was gonna echo this exactly. He may believe it, but considering what he's been parroting all off-season it's far from "obvious".

On the topic of the coaching staff, I said it before and I'll say it again, the clear favoritism shown by DJS to "his guys" so far is giving me some serious Boucher-PTSD. As part of a fully functioning NHL franchise it wouldn't matter because the front office makes the calls about what players will be on the roster, but here in Ottawa where the head coach is also the defacto AGM it could lead (and possibly already has) to some issues long-term.

Exactly we know Dorion will not hold a candle to that coaching staff in a who should play when and where and why discussion. Just like he couldn't with Boucher.

Its early, but so far DJ leans pretty hard to the guys he knows (x-leafs, Sabourin) . I am not sure how long that will last. I have the same fears it will last too long and other players will pay the price in where they are and will get slotted because of it. I would prefer him not to have so many of these x leaf players on the roster. It would be better for everyone. Too much leaf (TML)

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I give him 2 years as well. Either way, I don't think he'll be the guy leading them if/when they have some success.

Cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap to hold them over until the next cheap stop gap

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Exactly we know Dorion will not hold a candle to that coaching staff in a who should play when and where and why discussion. Just like he couldn't with Boucher.

Its early, but so far DJ leans pretty hard to the guys he knows (x-leafs, Sabourin) . I am not sure how long that will last. I have the same fears it will last too long and other players will pay the price in where they are and will get slotted because of it. I would prefer him not to have so many of these x leaf players on the roster. It would be better for everyone. Too much leaf (TML)

The saving grace is that right now he's (mostly) only gotten "his guys" on low term deals, which won't hurt the rebuild. We'll have to see on Zaitsev though, cause that one really does have the potential to blow up. If we start re-signing any of Ennis, Hainsey, Sabourin instead of shipping them off it'll definitely add to my concern.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad