2019-2020 Liiga Talk

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
2 teams that are going to be at the 2 sides of the spectrum: Kärpät and Ilves.

Ilves is signing quality names from left and right, where as Kärpät are having a fire sale.

Kärpät are expected to lose both of their goalies, Vehviläinen(NHL) & Rynnäs.
Kärpät will lose at least their top d-men Kivihalme(NHL) & Hakanpää(NHL)
rumor is it that their #1 defensive d-man (Ohtamaa) is leaving as well, Lasse Kukkonen
is signed for 19-20 season but he will turn 38 this year, he might retire.
Kärpät will loose these top 6 players, Lasu(SHL),Leskinen(NHL),Heponiemi(NHL),Kupari(NHL),
Jussi jokinen, Oskar Osala do not have contract's for next season, nor does have Junnila.

Worst case scenario, 13 exiting the team

Ilves has already signed, Antti Saarela(Lukko), Ville Kolppanen(SHL), Lassi Thomson(WHL),
Eetu Päkkilä(Kärpät), Elorinne(Tappara), Matias Maccelli(USHL), Robert Leino(HIFK)

4 top prospects (Saarela,Thomson,Päkkilä,Maccelli), quality SHL/KHL level goalie (Kolppanen)
Elorinne is a top 4 - top 6 D-man in the Liiga, Robert Leino a top 6 forward in the Liiga.

Even with Ruotsalainen leaving, they still have quality top 6 forwards, Suomi,Lepaus, Ikonen,Rautiainen
3 of them are under 24, Rautiainen only 26, Robert Leino addition is pretty awesome, Maccelli,Saarela
and Päkkilä will surely give them additional scoring.

Their D looks good, 2 awesome young offensive d-men (Laaksonen&Thomson), Elorinne is a strong addition,
Parikka&Peltola (D-Dmen) have both National Team games under their belts, Vainio is a good defensive d-man in Liiga.

Reactions: Ippenator

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's not really a firesale, when players are leaving on their own will.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm fully expecting Kärpät to be comfortably ahead of Ilves in the final standings, they'll find more than adequate replacements for whichever players they might lose now.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Yeah, maybe too early to do power rankings. Players are coming and going through the summer. Kärpät are going to lose a bunch of players but they have the money to get replacements. Also, they have a good farm system. I don't think Kupari should yet leave for NHL and Heponiemi could also play for one more season. Ilves and HIFK look nice at the moment but Turunen could still bail to the NHL and Ilves would look much better with Ruotsalainen than without him. Let's wait and watch how the situation develops.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
To the NHL/AHL from Kärpät that have left / are leaving:

G Veini Vehviläinen - Columbus Blue Jackets / Cleveland Monsters

D Jani Hakanpää - Anaheim Ducks
D Teemu Kivihalme - Toronto Maple Leafs

F Aleksi Heponiemi - Florida Panthers
F Rasmus Kupari - Los Angeles Kings
F Ville Leskinen - ????

Others who have left / are leaving:

G Jussi Rynnäs - Krefeld Pinguine, DEL

D Atte Ohtamaa - ????

F Jasse Ikonen - HIFK, Liiga
F Jyri Junnila - Kalpa, Liiga
F Niclas Lasu - Frölunda, SHL

Kärpät have signed so far 2 new players:
Janne Pesonen (F) and Ludwig Byström (D)

Rumor

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
I’d say our (Färjestad) signing of Ville Leskinen is a pretty prestigious one considering GeorgeLeafer thought he would go to the NHL right? :)

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
How do those that follow Liiga feel that Kalpa will do this coming season?

They probably won't fare too well. Before they made a couple of good forward acquisitions like a month ago I had them dead last. But they have a promising coach and if things start rolling to the right direction, they might even make the playoffs. Kilpeläinen was previously the top goalie in Liiga and if he repeats that, it might be enough for KalPa to make the cut. They're one of the underdogs in the playoff competition, but Liiga is so even in the middle of the rankings that it's hard to predict.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Thanks for that. One of my co-workers nephew plays there and really likes the town and the country. Seems like they were almost on the verge of making the playoffs, but had a bad streak near the end if I remember correctly. They looked pretty good in the Spengler Cup.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
John Persson to Saipa.

13 swedes in Liiga this season, new record?

After Bosman Rule there was wave of Swedish players to Finland. 25 Swedes played during that season. That was quite a jump because it was only couple of seasons before that when Michael Nylander became the first Swede to play in Liiga.

It was bit of hit or miss season. Jyp HT did well with their Swedes. Lukko failed (anyone surprised?) Tjärnqvist and Ekman later played in NHL.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I think Ilves current roster includes 8 potential NHL:ers + 6 International level players

G: Lukas Dostal (Ducks 2018 3rd round pick, signed)
D: Lassi Thomson* (Sens 2019 1st round pick, signed), Oskari Laaksonen* (Sabres 2017 3rd round pick, unsigned),
Santeri Hatakka (Sharks 2019 6th round pick, unsigned)
F: Matias Maccelli (Coyotes 2019 4th round pick, unsigned), Antti Saarela (Blackhawks 2019 4th round pick, unsigned),
Eetu Päkkilä (Devils 2018 6th round pick, unsigned), Roby Järventie (2020 Draft, ranked as high 3rd round pick)

G: Ville Kolppanen (3 year KHL and 2 year SHL veteran, returned back to Ilves for this season)
D: Jarkko Parikka (already had games for Team Finland last season)
F: Teemu Rautiainen, Eemeli Suomi (already had games for Team Finland last season), Teemu Lepaus,
Robert Leino

* Laaksonen already played for Team Finland last season, Thomson should get looks this season

I think Ilves is one of the favorites this season, great coaching, great goaltending duo, really fast team (again),
a lot of top young talent, few important veterans to keep the team in balance

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think Ilves current roster includes 8 potential NHL:ers + 6 International level players

G: Lukas Dostal (Ducks 2018 3rd round pick, signed)
D: Lassi Thomson* (Sens 2019 1st round pick, signed), Oskari Laaksonen* (Sabres 2017 3rd round pick, unsigned),
Santeri Hatakka (Sharks 2019 6th round pick, unsigned)
F: Matias Maccelli (Coyotes 2019 4th round pick, unsigned), Antti Saarela (Blackhawks 2019 4th round pick, unsigned),
Eetu Päkkilä (Devils 2018 6th round pick, unsigned), Roby Järventie (2020 Draft, ranked as high 3rd round pick)

G: Ville Kolppanen (3 year KHL and 2 year SHL veteran, returned back to Ilves for this season)
D: Jarkko Parikka (already had games for Team Finland last season)
F: Teemu Rautiainen, Eemeli Suomi (already had games for Team Finland last season), Teemu Lepaus,
Robert Leino

* Laaksonen already played for Team Finland last season, Thomson should get looks this season

I think Ilves is one of the favorites this season, great coaching, great goaltending duo, really fast team (again),
a lot of top young talent, few important veterans to keep the team in balance
I'm a huge Ilves fan, so it's quite fun to read some other people seeing them finally as a real potential force in Liiga. I'm quite optimistic myself too, but part of me wants to still hold my horses, as the team is still very young and lacks some real winning experience. Although HPK's last season's championship team's key player Robert Leino was a terriffic addition when thinking of this kind of experience. Anyway, there are a lot of very talented, but also very young and inexperienced, players on the team, so it is possible, that they hit the wall at some point of the season. On the other hand Karri Kivi is an excellent coach for a team with especially young talents. He is not afraid to give them responsibilities and he is a fair and great motivational coach who is still capable of giving the firm and structured guidance that especially young very talented players might sometimes need.

So all in all, I have to say that I'm definitely expecting for Ilves to get in to the top 6 in the regular season, and very much HOPING for them to get a medal after the playoffs are played, but I'm still not willing to expect more from the season than a top 6 regular season finish, as the team is still that young and inexperienced. Everything is possible, but this is still my approach with clear expectations to such a young team.

I think that Liiga is very much a coaches league, which means that if you have even a relatively good roster, but not real top class roster, a great coach can take you very far - even to winning it all, as HPK and Antti Pennanen proved last season. I would say that there isn't though any very clear cut favorites this season. Kärpät roster is much weaker than before (but some great young talent there too), but their coach Mikko Manner is a great Liiga coach, so they have chances probably for even winning the championship. But I don't see them as any clear favorites though.

HPK became also clearly weaker on paper. But Pennanen is pretty much a wizard with even quite average players, so I think they might have a chance to even repeat their win from last season, but that's really more like a best case scenario, and I don't really think that they can be thought of as some clear favorites either. Definitely one of many that might have a shot of even winning the championship.

Tappara is also kind of always one of the favorites, and again they probably are thought of as one, although they don't honestly look to me even as strong as they were last season. And their coach Jukka Rautakorpi isn't in my opinion anymore a real elite Liiga coach. Tappara does have some quite talented youngsters that could really have a great breakthrough season under the right kind of a coach. Unfortunately Jukka Rautakorpi and developing well young talents don't fit well in the same sentence.

HIFK seems also like clearly weaker on paper, but at least they got rid of a pretty bad Liiga coach in Ari Selin, but I think Pikkarainen as the new coach is still a bit of a question mark. They did play quite well under him during the end of last season, but I think the sample size is too small to make too much conclusions of how good a coach he is really for a Liiga team. They do have some very talented youngsters that could help them be after all better than expected, if they take already clear steps with their development.

Saipa seems to have become stronger on paper, and as they have a pretty good coach in Tero Lehterä, they might be a real surprise for the season. But otherwise most teams have become weaker, at least on paper.

TPS could have some serious problems this season, as they have become an awful lot weaker on paper, and they have an awful coach in Kalle Kaskinen.

Also Pelicans seems like weaker on paper, but at least they have a pretty good motivational coach in Ville Nieminen.

Lukko, Kalpa, Jukurit, Sport and JYP are all pretty much question marks for me by all means, but maybe some of them will even surprise in a positive way, as they have most probably little to lose this season.

Ässät seems like a bit stronger on paper, but they have in my opinion one of the worst Liiga coaches in Ari Selin, so I'm honestly expecting them to have a lot of problems during the season - at least until Selin is fired.

Kookoo on the other hand could maybe surprise many, as Jussi Ahokas should be already a pretty good coach for Liiga level, and they have even some quite good young talents there.

I think we are going to have an interesting season especially with a lot of very talented young players getting good chances to play for many teams. This is what makes Liiga still an interesting league to follow for me, even though it's quality in general in pure skill has gone downwards year by year. But it is a pretty darn good development league for very good young talents. In fact one of the best development leagues there is.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm a huge Ilves fan, so it's quite fun to read some other people seeing them finally as a real potential force in Liiga. I'm quite optimistic myself too, but part of me wants to still hold my horses, as the team is still very young and lacks some real winning experience. Although HPK's last season's championship team's key player Robert Leino was a terriffic addition when thinkin of this kind of experience. Anyway, there are a lot of very talented but also very young and inexperiences players on the team, so it is possible, that they hit the wall at some point of the season. On the other hand Karri Kivi is an excellent coach for a team with especially young talents. He is not afraid to givce them responsibilities and he is a fair and great motivational coach who is still capable of giving the firm and structured guidance that especially young very talented players might sometimes need.

So all in all, I have to say that I'm definitely expecting for Ilves to get in to the top 6 in the regular season, and very much HOPING for them to get a medal after the playoffs are played, but I'm still not willing to expect more from the season than a top 6 regular season finish, as the team is still that young and experienced. Everything is possible, but this is still my approach to clear expectations to such a young team.

I think that Liiga is very much a coaches league, which means that if you have even a relatively good roster, but not real top class roster, a great coach can take you very far - even to winning it all, as HPK and Antti Pennanen proved last season. I would say that there isn't though any very clear cut favorites this season. Kärpät roster is much weaker than before (but some great young talent there too), but their coach Mikko Manner is a great Liiga coach, so they have chances probably for even winning the championship. But I don't see them as any clear favorites though.

HPK became also clearly weaker on paper. But Pennanen is pretty much a wizard with even quite average players, so I think they might have a chance to even repeat their win from last season, but that's really more like a best case scenario, and I don't really think that they can be thought of some clear favorites either. Definitely one of many that might have a shot of even winning the championship.

Tappara is also kind of always one of the favorites, and again they probably are thought as one, although they don't honestly look to me even as strong as they were last season. And their coach Jukka Rautakorpi isn't in my opinion anymore a real elite Liiga coach. Tappara does have some quite talented youngsters that could really have a great breakthrough season under the right kind of a coach. Unfortunately Jukka Rautakorpi and developing well young talents don't fit well in the same sentence.

HIFK seems also like clearly weaker on paper, but at least they got rid of a pretty bad Liiga coach in Ari Selin, but I think Pikkarainen as the new coach is still a bit of a question mark. They did play quite well under him during the end of last season, but I think the sample size is too small to make too much conclusions of how good a coach he is really for a Liiga team. They do have some very talented youngsters that could help them be after better than expected, if they take already clear steps with their development.

Saipa seems to have become stronger on paper, and as they have a pretty good coach in Tero Lehterä, they might be a real surprise for the season. But otherwise most teams have become weaker, at least on paper.

TPS could have some serious problems this season, as they have become and awful lot weaker on paper, and they have an awful coach in Kalle Kaskinen.

Also Pelicans seems like weaker on paper, but at least they have a pretty good motivational coach in Ville Nieminen.

Lukko, Kalpa, Jukurit, Sport and JYP are all pretty much question marks for me by all means, but maybe some of them will even surprise in a positive way, as they have most probably little to lose this season.

Ässät seems like a bit stronger on paper, but they have in my opinion one of the worst Liiga coaches in Ari Selin, so I'm honestly expecting them to have a lot of problems during the season - at least until Selin is fired.

Kookoo on the other hand could maybe surprise many, as Jussi Ahokas should be already a pretty good coach for Liiga level, and they have even some quite good young talents there.

HIFK weaker in paper what bullshit this is.
HIFK is championship contender with Kärpät and Tappara this season and it's not even a question
HIFK's roster is TOP3 caliber in whole f***ing league so think again your outcoming.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
HIFK weaker in paper what bull**** this is.
HIFK is championship contender with Kärpät and Tappara this season and it's not even a question
HIFK's roster is TOP3 caliber in whole ****ing league so think again your outcoming.
HIFK, Helsinki
+ Frans Tuohimaa / mv (SaiPa)
+ Rony Ahonen / p (Lukko)
+ Mikko Kousa / p (Pelicans)
+ Otto Paajanen / kh (HPK)
+ Sebastian Dyk / lh (Södertälje SWE-2)
+ Jesse Saarinen / lh (Pelicans)
+ Jere Sallinen / lh (Örebro SWE)
+ Teemu Turunen / lh (HPK)
– Markus Ruusu / mv (JYP)
– Teemu Eronen / p (Jokerit KHL)
– Joe Finley / p
– Ryan O'Connor / p (Iserlohn GER)
– Kyle Quincey / p
– Henrik Koivisto / kh
– Tommi Santala / kh
– Juhani Tyrväinen / kh (Luulaja SWE)
– Jasse Ikonen / lh (Ilves)
– Ilmari Pitkänen / lh
– Joonas Rask / lh (Örebro SWE)
– Sakari Salminen / lh (Ässät > Örebro SWE)
– Erik Thorell / lh (Zug SUI)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
HIFK, Helsinki
+ Frans Tuohimaa / mv (SaiPa)
+ Rony Ahonen / p (Lukko)
+ Mikko Kousa / p (Pelicans)
+ Otto Paajanen / kh (HPK)
+ Sebastian Dyk / lh (Södertälje SWE-2)
+ Jesse Saarinen / lh (Pelicans)
+ Jere Sallinen / lh (Örebro SWE)
+ Teemu Turunen / lh (HPK)
– Markus Ruusu / mv (JYP)
– Teemu Eronen / p (Jokerit KHL)
– Joe Finley / p
– Ryan O'Connor / p (Iserlohn GER)
– Kyle Quincey / p
– Henrik Koivisto / kh
– Tommi Santala / kh
– Juhani Tyrväinen / kh (Luulaja SWE)
– Jasse Ikonen / lh (Ilves)
– Ilmari Pitkänen / lh
– Joonas Rask / lh (Örebro SWE)
– Sakari Salminen / lh (Ässät > Örebro SWE)
– Erik Thorell / lh (Zug SUI)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And the point sharing that list was what ?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
HIFK weaker in paper what bull**** this is.
HIFK's roster is TOP3 caliber in whole ****ing league so think again your outcoming.
I'm sure they are always that for true HIFK fans. I'm not an HIFK fan though...

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I'm sure they are always that for true HIFK fans. I'm not a an HIFK fan though...

I can see that i'm not blind.
But i trust my team and all staff who will work with those players instead of some random Ilves fan.
Have a nice weekend.

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
And the point sharing that list was what ?
Obviously to show which players they lost and which they received. Honestly looks to me that there are more real quality players on the leaving list. You have to be seriously biased to see HIFK this season as some clear top 3 favorite. I'm not saying that it's not possible that they are in the top 3 after all in the end. But that can be said about a lot of other teams too. In my opinion it is your bias talking, if you are seriously thinking that they are clear top 3 favorites this season. Of course you are as entitled to you opinion as I am to mine.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Obviously to show which players they lost and which they received. Honestly looks to me that there are more real quality players on the leaving list. You have to be seriously biased to see HIFK this season as some clear top 3 favorite. I'm not saying that it's not possible that they are in the top 3 after all in the end. But that can be said about a lot of other teams too. In my opinion it is your bias talking, if you are seriously thinking that they are clear top 3 favorites this season. Of course you are as entitled to you opinion as I am to mine.

Keep talking, see u in playoffs ( i guys even make those games )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad