2019/2020 D-corps

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas may not have a choice.

If he does get traded .... the first 2 words out of Dubas' mouth will be .... things change.

If cap is a major concern there are plenty of options to try first: if improvement of the D is the main objective there are other assets that can be moved.

Dubas’ words and actions suggest Nylander isn’t going to be on the trade block anytime soon

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Dubas’ words and actions suggest Nylander
Nylander quoted Dubas about the no trade thing. "Dubas said he won't trade me".

I'm sure Dubas wouldn't trade low on Nylander. So he'll be here a while.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander quoted Dubas about the no trade thing. "Dubas said he won't trade me".

I'm sure Dubas wouldn't trade low on Nylander. So he'll be here a while.

During the summer Dubas described Nylander as a long term piece for the team. Babcock did the same during the fall. Then Dubas signed him to a six year contract.

Words + actions have been incredibly consistent about Nylander.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
During the summer Dubas described Nylander as a long term piece for the team. Babcock did the same during the fall. Then Dubas signed him to a six year contract.

Smart.

Management should publicly 100% happy with a player until they are traded.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
That’s the issue I’ve found with all my cap friendly mock ups. Even after trading Zaitsev & Brown, then signing Marner, Kap & Johnsson there’s not much space left for D other than ELCs & Marlie promotions.

Thats right there isn't! Management basically has to purge lots of salary for this next tough cap year.

That starts with Gardiner,Hainsey and others they derm expendable. We managed to move Clarkson so nothing is impossible on trades i suppose.

Trading will occure this off season and its anyone's guess how it all shakes out depending on whats abailable.

Its going to be full asset management mode coming up. Maybe Marleau will retire but I wouldn't leave 6.5 million on the table if it was me.

Lilly and Sandin will be looked at heavily during training camp. Lilly is close to ready but another year with Keefe and the Matlies would be ideal.

Sandin comes with poise so I wouldn't be under estimating his confidence with the general inexpierenced brush off.

Still again, anothet year with Keefe and the Marlies is best for him also i believe. Both will possibly look good at training camp and be sent packing with a development plan from the coaches.

It leaves trading our younger forwards for younger/ cheap type defensemen i think.

There really could be a multi player deal with Carolina in the off season in the above mentioned trade scenario.

These two are high end prospects and we can't/ shouldn't rush them. I personally think Lilly will be rushed if there are no trade options available.

Sandin will not get a sniff of the Nhl except for a injury call up next year and thats a maybe.

Fully hitting asset management stage while heing a contender. We might lose Kadri soon and i hope not on that one.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
First of all, I don't see why there is so much doubt that Marincin would stay. Dubas seems to like him, and with Hainsey gone, we know Babock likes him as a PK guy. If they can get him back cheap, under $1 mil, I say for sure he's back. Similar situation for Oz.

Unfortunately, Gardiner will almost certainly be gone. If Hainsey isn't gone, then I'll be shocked, and utterly disappointed. Babcock overuses him way too much for the quality of player he is, and he does not belong anywhere near the top 4 of an NHL team anymore, but I digress.

The final piece would be moving Zaitsev, which would be incredible, but who knows what we would get in that trade...for all we know it would be another RD. Until that trade happens, I feel uncomfortable speculating. I hope that it happens, but who knows what the return would be.

I'd say that leaves us with the following depth chart:
LD: Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Rosen, Marincin (?), Borgman, Sandin
RD: Zaitsev (?), Ozhighanov (?), Holl, Liljegren, Lindgren, Hollowell

Even if the three that the OP has brought into question are gone, we could still have:

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Liljegren
Rosen - Holl
Ex. Borgman

Obviously that is a pretty weak right side, but the left side is still pretty darn strong. Unless Rosen turns out to be another TJ Brennan type who doesn't transition to the NHL, he is looking like a damn good defenseman for a third pairing that could transition the puck up ice well, and add offense. Obviously Rielly & Muzzin are above adequate as a #1-2 punch on the left side. The concern is on the right side. I personally have no doubt that Travis Dermott could be a top 2 defender, but the concern is that he is playing his off-side in this scenario, Babcock doesn't seem to trust him this much, and him and Rielly both have d-zone concerns. I feel as though Justin Holl is a player capable of third pairing minutes if he could be given some consistent time to develop his game and get his feet wet. Again, the concern is that neither he or Rosen plays a particularly defensive style, even if both transition the puck and add offensive punch. Liljegren is a big question mark in terms of his development, and I highly doubt that Dubas throws him into a situation like this. But this is a worst case scenario.

The other possibility is something more like this:
Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev (or replacement)
Rosen - Ozhighanov
Ex. Holl

Marlies still would have Marincin, Borgman, Liljegren as potential call-ups. Obviously the right side is still weak in this scenario, but at least there is the extra depth cushion of Zaitsev & Ozhighanov who are more reliable, solid players than Liljegren & Holl.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rielly 23m Liljegren 19m
Muzzin 20m Zaitsev 20m
Dermott 19m Ozhiganov 19m
Borgman Holl

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I’m having a really hard time imagining what this team’s defence is going to look like next season. There are certainly tons of questions to be asked and so many variables.

I don’t expect UFAs Hainsey, Gardiner, Marincin to be resigned.

Is the Oziganov experiment over?

Dubas will undoubtably attempt to trade Zaitsev.

This pretty much leaves us with Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott— all lefties. Oh ya, Holl too.

Are either or both of Sandin or Liljegren expected to be ready next year?

There really aren’t many RHD UFAs to choose from.

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin UFA/trade
Sandin Liljegren

???????????????????????

looks pretty damn good to me.

Reactions: Menzinger

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

The way the contract is structured opens up all kids of possibilities.

Carolina needs more fans so you'll be welcomed there.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The way the contract is structured opens up all kids of possibilities.

Carolina needs more fans so you'll be welcomed there.

Matthews and JT’s contracts are both front loaded too....

These structures gives management added flexibility, but flawed thinking to presume it means a trade is imminent for any of them

And likewise, if you love Pesce so much nothing stopping you from jumping ship ;)

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Think Rosen will squeeze into the top 6 and they'll acquire a top-four defenseman. I don't expect either of Lilly or Sandin in the opening night roster although wouldn't be shocked to see them earn a job over the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad