2019/2020 D-corps

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I’m having a really hard time imagining what this team’s defence is going to look like next season. There are certainly tons of questions to be asked and so many variables.

I don’t expect UFAs Hainsey, Gardiner, Marincin to be resigned.

Is the Oziganov experiment over?

Dubas will undoubtably attempt to trade Zaitsev.

This pretty much leaves us with Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott— all lefties. Oh ya, Holl too.

Are either or both of Sandin or Liljegren expected to be ready next year?

There really aren’t many RHD UFAs to choose from.

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin UFA/trade
Sandin Liljegren

???????????????????????

Reactions: Brown Dog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I’m having a really hard time imagining what this team’s defence is going to look like next season. There are certainly tons of questions to be asked and so many variables.

I don’t expect UFAs Hainsey, Gardiner, Marincin to be resigned.

Is the Oziganov experiment over?

Dubas will undoubtably attempt to trade Zaitsev.

This pretty much leaves us with Rielly, Muzzin and Dermott— all lefties. Oh ya, Holl too.

Are either or both of Sandin or Liljegren expected to be ready next year?

There really aren’t many RHD UFAs to choose from.

Rielly Dermott
Muzzin UFA/trade
Sandin Liljegren

???????????????????????
I highly doubt Dermott moves to a top 2 D role (and on his wrong side) when he hasn’t survived an entire 82 game NHL season yet. And on a Babcock team.
Also as much as people like the potential of Sandin, that’s 2 players with a combined zero games NHL experience.

They haven’t survived an NHL month yet, let alone a year.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Great idea - throw 2 rookies with ZERO experience on the 3rd pairing.

If you think this board had meltdowns when we lose a game, see what happens with 2 rookies on the 3rd pairing....

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Auston Matthews will cover for the defense. After all 2nd best player in the world next year.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Great idea - throw 2 rookies with ZERO experience on the 3rd pairing.

If you think this board had meltdowns when we lose a game, see what happens with 2 rookies on the 3rd pairing....
I wasn’t suggesting that those would be the pairings. I was just showing how much will have to change by next year.

What do you guys think will happen?

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I’d take Hainsey back another year at around a million. As long as there’s a clause that Babcock isn’t allowed to play him top pair.

Rielly X
Muzzin Liljegren
Dermott Hainsey

Last edited:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Stralman would be nice instead but probably too expensive.

That’s the issue I’ve found with all my cap friendly mock ups. Even after trading Zaitsev & Brown, then signing Marner, Kap & Johnsson there’s not much space left for D other than ELCs & Marlie promotions.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Lots of moving parts this off season but its not far fetched to think we are going to see the kids up with the big club.

Gards is probably going to walk and who knows about Hainsey.

I think the playoff run is going to determine the future of the D more than anything.

Reactions: Brown Dog

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Need cap space. Trading Nylander for Pesce saves 3 million per year that can be used to address other needs.
I don’t see Nylander traded next season. I don’t think that it’s the precedent that Dubas wants to set. If we trade Kap for another RFA but in an area of need, their salaries would pretty much cancel each other out.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper
Mar 14, 2011
Maybe something closer to...
Kapanen for Honka?
Terrible for the Leafs, Honka is a reclamation project at this point and even Dallas fans don't think much of him anymore. Brown for Honka is much closer to value, and even so Dallas is still likely getting the better value with that trade.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Has he fallen off that much? He is only 22yo
He doesnt play many games for the stars. Only 29 games played. He is usually a healthy scratch. His point production has slipped with only 4 apples in 29 games and only 2 apples in his 10 games in the AHL. He has always been a bit of a liability on his own zone and from what I've read his confidence was damaged pretty badly when ruff was coaching the stars.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d take Hainsey back another year at around a million. As long as there’s a clause that Babcock isn’t allowed to play him top pair.

Rielly X
Muzzin Liljegren
Dermott Hainsey

I’d say there’s not an unreasonable chance that Hainsey is back for one more season, maybe at a slight paycut (especially if they opt to move Zaitsev)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
After the playoffs this year we will have a very good idea of who we may trade for needed help.

Another year of hide and seek will see a couple of players traded. This years playoffs should answer more then a few questions.

Reactions: dsred and Brown Dog

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
(at home)
Muzzin Rielly
Dermott Zaitsev
Sandin Liljegren

(away)
Rielly Dermott
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Zaitsev

worst comes to worst trade Brown (for cap space) and get trade some futures for a top6 D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad