Line Combos: 2019-2020 Colorado Avalanche

Gnargnarbinks

Jun 24, 2018
Alaska
I'd much rather separate MacK from Mikko than Landy. MacK n Mikko can weave magic, but they have to defer to one another more than they do when on their own...and without Landy to play C-in the defensive zone, MacK would have to put in a lot more work against the puck; which might just make him experience mortal-stamina...or (at least) suppress his opportunities to create.

That's why I'd rather keep Gabe on Nate's hip to handle the defensive responsibilities of a Center; especially since we saw last season how effective they can still be...as long as we give them a 3rd wheel that can actually finish all of those chances that BDK muffined into Smith & Jones' chests.

Plus I think getting Mikko on his wing would be absolutely amazing for Kadri given where he scores his goals.

THIS!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn't call it nervous but I have a concern about our goaltending depth.

Yeah, I don't have particularly high expectations for Bura, but I am relatively nervous about how Grubauer and Francouz will play next year.

Not that I think they'll play poorly, but that we just don't know, because Gru's never been a full time starter and Frank's never started an NHL game. It doesn't matter if they fix all the problem areas this summer or not, if they don't get consistently good goaltending they'll miss the playoffs.

It reminds me a bit of when they went all in on Aebsicher and Sauve after bringing in Kariya and Selanne, though Aebi played pretty well that first season.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Yeah, I don't have particularly high expectations for Bura, but I am relatively nervous about how Grubauer and Francouz will play next year.

Not that I think they'll play poorly, but that we just don't know, because Gru's never been a full time starter and Frank's never started an NHL game. It doesn't matter if they fix all the problem areas this summer or not, if they don't get consistently good goaltending they'll miss the playoffs.

It reminds me a bit of when they went all in on Aebsicher and Sauve after bringing in Kariya and Selanne, though Aebi played pretty well that first season.

I think Burakovsky will surpass expectations as relatively modest as they might be. If he plays on the top line then I would prefer that Landeskog be kept there to play with MacKinnon as that should give Buarakovsky some space for an open shot on goal.

However, I'm fairly certain you're going to see all kinds of line combinations and I've no doubt JB is going to stick with trying out some combinations for longer than we would like just so he can fully evaluate their attributes and weaknesses. That's why I think the initial third of the season is kind of a crapshoot in terms of predicting what kind of a record they will attain. Like I've said before, the regular season is to learn what you have, stay healthy and make the POs. My wish is for the team is to be one of the top three teams in the Central assuming they remain healthy. We all know injuries will occur and we're going to be glad the team has as much depth as it does.

In terms of what areas to fill, I'd seriously consider a look at Gusev. Not sure that I think Gardiner is worth bringing on.

I'm unsure what our options are for another G. I think Pokecheque outlined them before

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Not an Avs fan, but I found myself watching Avs in the playoffs quite a bit. My perspective on the line combos:

- Seems like this is the "official plan", but I am not sure I fully understand the idea of Burakovsky - Kadri - Jost. All of these guys played 3rd/4th line the season prior. I am sort of puzzled why plan A is to throw them together and see how all of these "top 6 rookies" do together. I know Kadri played top 6 a few seasons back, and did fine, but still, it's better not to throw people in at the deep end if you can avoid it.

- Personally I would instead start off by splitting the top line to give some support to the new guys. Do something like

Landeskog - MacKinnon - XXX
YYY - Kadri - Rantanen

With XXX and YYY being 2 of Burakovsky/Compher/Jost/Donskoi. Once you figure out who's the best XXX and YYY pieces for top 6 role are, can try putting them with Kadri to see if it works.

Reactions: shadow1

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Not an Avs fan, but I found myself watching Avs in the playoffs quite a bit. My perspective on the line combos:

- Seems like this is the "official plan", but I am not sure I fully understand the idea of Burakovsky - Kadri - Jost. All of these guys played 3rd/4th line the season prior. I am sort of puzzled why plan A is to throw them together and see how all of these "top 6 rookies" do together. I know Kadri played top 6 a few seasons back, and did fine, but still, it's better not to throw people in at the deep end if you can avoid it.

- Personally I would instead start off by splitting the top line to give some support to the new guys. Do something like

YYY - Kadri - Rantanen

With XXX and YYY being 2 of Burakovsky/Compher/Jost/Donskoi. Once you figure out who's the best XXX and YYY pieces for top 6 role are, can try putting them with Kadri to see if it works.
Jared it's you!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

YYY - Kadri - Rantanen

Kadri shouldn't be grouped in with Burakovsky and Jost when talking about top six ability. He's as legit of a 2C as there is (I mean actual 2C's and not the Malkin/Tavares type). He showed that in the two years before Tavares got there when he was 8th in goals and 26th in points among centers while playing really well defensively. He's being brought in to take some pressure off the top line and carry the second line, which he has shown he can do when his most common linemates were guys like Komarov, Marleau, and Brown.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this initial Jost-Kadri-Burakovsky plan doesn't even last through training camp but I like the idea of keeping the top line together to start and seeing what Kadri's line can do to complement them.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Kadri shouldn't be grouped in with Burakovsky and Jost when talking about top six ability.

Absolutely, but I wasn't talking about ability. I have put Kadri at 2C, no question marks.

Rather, my concern is the need for adjustment. All of these guys will need it, of course to different degree. It might take Kadri a month to get re-accustomed to more offensive role. Playing with 2 of Compher/Bura/Jost/Donskoi at the same time will not make that adjustment easier.

You may (or may not) disagree that Kadri will not be at his 100% as a 2C to start the season. That's not the core of my concern. For me it's about having two players auditioning for top-6 role on the same line at the same time. Why complicate things if you do not have to?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
When Soderberg signed with the Avs back in 2015, he was told he would replace ROR on a line Landeskog and MacKinnon... it never happened.

I'm not putting any stock on what Sakic and Bednar say about line combinations in July.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I see no one putting Calle Rosen in their lineup. I can sure you he's the real deal. His skating is amazing, great puck handler, he's good along the board, no real weakness in his play, maybe he could be more physical at time.

Unless Byram stick with the team I don't see how Rosen could not outplay Barberio and Connauton. He's got nothing to show anymore in AHL.

The only reason Toronto let him go with Kadri is because they were stacked in defense with Sandin, Liljegren. I believe Sakic was targeting Rosen as well.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I see no one putting Calle Rosen in their lineup. I can sure you he's the real deal. His skating is amazing, great puck handler, he's good along the board, no real weakness in his play, maybe he could be more physical at time.

Unless Byram stick with the team I don't see how Rosen could not outplay Barberio and Connauton. He's got nothing to show anymore in AHL.

The only reason Toronto let him go with Kadri is because they were stacked in defense with Sandin, Liljegren. I believe Sakic was targeting Rosen as well.

Byram & Graves will be his competition for the spot next to Connauton...and I'd expect Graves to get first crack at that spot if Byram just can't hack it.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Absolutely, but I wasn't talking about ability. I have put Kadri at 2C, no question marks.

Rather, my concern is the need for adjustment. All of these guys will need it, of course to different degree. It might take Kadri a month to get re-accustomed to more offensive role. Playing with 2 of Compher/Bura/Jost/Donskoi at the same time will not make that adjustment easier.

You may (or may not) disagree that Kadri will not be at his 100% as a 2C to start the season. That's not the core of my concern. For me it's about having two players auditioning for top-6 role on the same line at the same time. Why complicate things if you do not have to?

Bednar will mix up the lines to learn what he has. I suspect it will happen a lot. People are going to have to be patient.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

YYY - Kadri - Rantanen

We'll see how camp goes, but I think it may make sense to split the top line on the road and keep them together at home due to line matching. On the road you could go with the idea that teams will line match against MacK. So you give Kadri more offensive help in order to create more depth scoring.

I don't put any stock in anything anyone in the organization says about lines prior to the season anymore. It never seems to stick for long.

Reactions: theVladiator

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

I like the Rosen pickup and I’m hopeful he ends up being an underrated part of that deal.

But it worries me that he couldn’t stick with the Leafs last year, despite their defense being subpar. He was the Leafs 10th Dman. While I wouldn’t expect him to beat out Reilly, Gardiner, Muzzin, or Dermott or even Zaitsev/Hainsey, I’d hope he would’ve played more and pushed guys like Igor Ozhiganov (53 gp), Martin Marincin (24), and Justin Holl (11).

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I like the Rosen pickup and I’m hopeful he ends up being an underrated part of that deal.

But it worries me that he couldn’t stick with the Leafs last year, despite their defense being subpar. He was the Leafs 10th Dman. While I wouldn’t expect him to beat out Reilly, Gardiner, Muzzin, or Dermott or even Zaitsev/Hainsey, I’d hope he would’ve played more and pushed guys like Igor Ozhiganov (53 gp), Martin Marincin (24), and Justin Holl (11).
He actually got called up, played 4 games, but was paired with Dermott if I remember correctly, which didn't worked out as expected by Babcock, mainly because he wasn't found of two rookies or inexperienced dman together. That's why even Justin Holl even got to play more games, while Liljegren, Sandin and Rosen were ripping in AHL.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad