Line Combos: 2019-2020 Colorado Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm still against breaking up the top line. That chemistry is unreal and there's just so much advantage to being able to match Kadri against top lines at home and let that combo feast on lesser competition for 41 games. Can you imagine how much better they would be considering they were the top matchup line last year and still dominated? I get the temptation to spread things out but there is just too much insane dominance in those three together that I think you weaken the team when you break them up.

Reactions: Sudden Nordique

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm still against breaking up the top line. That chemistry is unreal and there's just so much advantage to being able to match Kadri against top lines at home and let that combo feast on lesser competition for 41 games. Can you imagine how much better they would be considering they were the top matchup line last year and still dominated? I get the temptation to spread things out but there is just too much insane dominance in those three together that I think you weaken the team when you break them up.

I'm not against reverting to the top line by the postseason, but early in the year is the best time to experiment and I think trying Mikko with Kadri is an experiment worth running, just to see how it works. Ideally it would let us keep 9296's minutes down in the early going so that Landy n Mikko would be fresher if we needed to revert to riding the big line down the stretch...and it would help Kadri build chemistry with Mikko for when they're on PP1 together even if Mikko is moved back onto the top line eventually.

Plus finishing everything that MacK n Landy created for him could be the best way to try and spark Bura into productivity / give him a chance to thrive, in the early goings to build up his confidence for any eventual bump down to the 2nd or 3rd line.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'd much rather separate MacK from Mikko than Landy. MacK n Mikko can weave magic, but they have to differ to one another more than they do when on their own and without Landy to play C-in the defensive zone, MacK would have to put in a lot more work against the puck...which might just make him experience mortal-stamina, or suppress his opportunities to create.

That's why I'd rather keep Gabe on Nate's hip to handle the defensive responsibilities of a Center, plus we saw last season how effective they can still be...as long as we give them a 3rd wheel that can actually finish all of those chances that BDK muffined into the Smith & Jones' chests.

Plus I think getting Mikko on his wing would be absolutely amazing for Kadri given where he scores his goals.
This 100%.
I'm not against reverting to the top line by the postseason, but early in the year is the best time to experiment and I think trying Mikko with Kadri is an experiment worth running, just to see how it works. Ideally it would let us keep 9296's minutes down in the early going so that Landy n Mikko would be fresher if we needed to revert to riding the big line down the stretch...and it would help Kadri build chemistry with Mikko for when they're on PP1 together even if Mikko is moved back onto the top line eventually.

Plus finishing everything that MacK n Landy created for him would be the best way to try and spark Bura into productivity / give him a chance to thrive, in the early goings to build up his confidence for any eventual bump down to the 2nd or 3rd line.
And this 100%.

Couldn't have said it better.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I'd much rather separate MacK from Mikko than Landy. MacK n Mikko can weave magic, but they have to differ to one another more than they do when on their own and without Landy to play C-in the defensive zone, MacK would have to put in a lot more work against the puck...which might just make him experience mortal-stamina, or suppress his opportunities to create.

That's why I'd rather keep Gabe on Nate's hip to handle the defensive responsibilities of a Center, plus we saw last season how effective they can still be...as long as we give them a 3rd wheel that can actually finish all of those chances that BDK muffined into the Smith & Jones' chests.

Plus I think getting Mikko on his wing would be absolutely amazing for Kadri given where he scores his goals.

Rantanen is the dream winger for Kadri.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Burky

Jost - Kadri - Rantanen

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Landeskog-Kadri-Donskoi

Heavy matchups against other teams top pairings/ top lines. Speed, size, skill and grit.

Burakovsky-MacKinnon-Rantanen

Gives MacKinnon two good shooting options. Can match them against weaker lines now that the Avs have another good line.

Wilson-Jost-Compher

Probably not going to hurt you defensively, but also won’t score a ton either.

Nieto-Bellemare-Calvert

Pretty decent collection of leftovers for the 4th line.

Girard-EJ
Tough matchups, already have chemistry

Zadorov-Makar
Easier matchups. Z plays the same role he did for Barrie.

Byram-Cole
That veteran leadership to help break the rookie into the league.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rantanen is the dream winger for Kadri.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Burky

Jost - Kadri - Rantanen

I've got Jost picking up where he left off centering the 3rd line and Donskoi next to Naz & Mikko, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jost win that spot, with Jimmothy centering the more offensive bottom-6 line, between Donskoi & Landy-lite.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Agree with all of this, and I'd like to see Mikko tried with Kadri as well. Mikko's passing will help Kadri out a lot, but Kadri's forechecking will help Mikko out a lot as well.

I think Mikko spends a little too much time battling down low. It doesn't always lead to scoring chances. Kadri will hopefully create a lot of space with his physicality and agitating to distract the opposition enough for Mikko to find the open areas to step into and make plays.

Plus Nate's breakouts are so much more clean and effective when Landy's making those smart change of pace passes to him from the wall. Nobody else comes close to setting him up as well, and when Landy slows down like he does to hit Nate with a pass, it freezes all the defenders and they get caught flat footed for Nate to scream by them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Bednar talks about his extension and the changes to the roster in that interview. At the end when he's talking about Kadri the two players he brought up were Jost and Burakovsky, just like Sakic did in the conference call. It sure seems like the initial plan is to try that combo on the second line.

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Jost-Kadri-Burakovsky
Wilson-Compher-Donskoi
Calvert-Bellemare-Nieto

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

cgf,

I had to read your post five times before I realized you meant to write 'defer' instead of "differ.' Took me awhile to figure it out. LOL. But you're right. I couldn't understand why you got all huffy the other day at my suggestion of moving Landeskog to play with Kadri. Now I understand your reasoning which is sound although it seems you too quickly dismissed the suggestion out of hand as though doing so would kill the idea and any discussion. LOL. Hardly and it wouldn't matter because I suspect JB will try it anyway.

It's true that Landeskog is the key asset, something I can't see Greer ever developing enough to begin to fill his shoes, much less make the club on the 3rd or 4th line. So I see either trying to find another Landeskog or Panarin type LW. I think Henchman mentioned the Avs seem focused on Burakovsky because they had previously targeted him. Is that true? I don't know but I have read that they have targeted certain players in the past and eventually will sign them if they're available.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Bednar talks about his extension and the changes to the roster in that interview. At the end when he's talking about Kadri the two players he brought up were Jost and Burakovsky, just like Sakic did in the conference call. It sure seems like the initial plan is to try that combo on the second line.

Jost-Kadri-Burakovsky
Wilson-Compher-Donskoi
Calvert-Bellemare-Nieto

Whatever line combos that produce will get a :thumbu: Keep trying different combos until you get another line that''s as effective as the 9296 line!

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Landeskog-Kadri-Donskoi

Heavy matchups against other teams top pairings/ top lines. Speed, size, skill and grit.

Burakovsky-MacKinnon-Rantanen

Gives MacKinnon two good shooting options. Can match them against weaker lines now that the Avs have another good line.

Wilson-Jost-Compher

Probably not going to hurt you defensively, but also won’t score a ton either.

Nieto-Bellemare-Calvert

Pretty decent collection of leftovers for the 4th line.

Girard-EJ
Tough matchups, already have chemistry

Zadorov-Makar
Easier matchups. Z plays the same role he did for Barrie.

Byram-Cole
That veteran leadership to help break the rookie into the league.
I like the line up except the third pair of D. I think Byram gets him 9 game taste of the NHL an goes back to the WHL before Cole is back to the line up. To start the year I expect Byram and Connauton and then Rosen/Graves/Barberio after the first 9 games.

Reactions: Avs71

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
cgf,

I had to read your post five times before I realized you meant to write 'defer' instead of "differ.' Took me awhile to figure it out. LOL. But you're right. I couldn't understand why you got all huffy the other day at my suggestion of moving Landeskog to play with Kadri. Now I understand your reasoning which is sound although it seems you too quickly dismissed the suggestion out of hand as though doing so would kill the idea and any discussion. LOL. Hardly and it wouldn't matter because I suspect JB will try it anyway.

It's true that Landeskog is the key asset, something I can't see Greer ever developing enough to begin to fill his shoes, much less make the club on the 3rd or 4th line. So I see either trying to find another Landeskog or Panarin type LW. I think Henchman mentioned the Avs seem focused on Burakovsky because they had previously targeted him. Is that true? I don't know but I have read that they have targeted certain players in the past and eventually will sign them if they're available.

I'm gunna need to play my "english is my 2nd language" card on that one :oops::laugh:

And I didn't mean to be entirely dismissive of it. I'm an empiricist, so even if the logic suggests it shouldn't be ideal I'm willing to see how it actually plays out before jumping to any conclusions. I just tend to make snarky jokes when I don't have the time (or desire) to expound on my opinion at length.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, it's clear they really want to keep that top line together--they work both on and off the ice with that in mind, so I imagine breaking it up is not at all what they want.

Which is fine, if they get an even-reasonably productive 2nd line that makes it so Bednar doesn't have to overwork that top trio that would work wonders for the team.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I believe it was mentioned Jost will be on the 2nd line. Can't see Bednar moving Rants down unless Bura can show some consistent scoring.

Jost-Kadri-Burakovsky
Donskoi-Compher-Wilson
Calvert-Bellemare-Nieto

Kamenev will rotate onto the lineup and likely replaces Bellemare.

Reactions: Foxtail

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Bednar thinking about what Makar can do for his team this season.

upload_2019-7-11_16-9-21.gif

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Prediction: That projected 2nd line doesn't work and they end up putting Donskoi and Compher on Kadri's wings, and that trio takes off.

Bura has to be Mackinnon's winger. Mackinnon could turn anyone into a 40 point player at least, even Ghetto.

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
I thought the whole reason Bura wanted a trade was so he could get top 6 minutes? So putting him on the 3rd line kinda defeats the whole purpose of spending a 2nd and 3rd for him no? Seriously asking and not trying to be condescending

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad