2019-2020 Around the League Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I'm guessing the start of next year would be pushed back with probably little to no preseason games, or they play a shortened regular season.
If NHL decides to resume games in a month or so, I really dont see a problem with making the off season short. Short training camp and pre season games. Those pre season games are too long as is, play like 3 games and done.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You know what really makes me mad?

The Red Wings were on pace for 45 points, which would have saved the Avs from being the worst team of the 21st century. If the regular season does end here, their record will forever have a * next to it because they didn't play 82 games.

11318428816_63df0860c8_o.gif

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado

The Red Wings were on pace for 45 points, which would have saved the Avs from being the worst team of the 21st century. If the regular season does end here, their record will forever have a * next to it because they didn't play 82 games.

We need to rid this forum of all the negative energy. Think positively. Next year they may be on pace for 43 points! In fact, the Wild and Wings could battle for bottom of the barrel.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Ya know, I don't want to.. But I'm watching Best of the Week on Sportsnet, and damn Fiala is a stud. He's a guy I always wanted outta Nashville if we traded Duchene there. I'm sad he's now a part of the green filth cause he's a beauty.

Reactions: Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Ya know, I don't want to.. But I'm watching Best of the Week on Sportsnet, and damn Fiala is a stud. He's a guy I always wanted outta Nashville if we traded Duchene there. I'm sad he's now a part of the green filth cause he's a beauty.

I booted up my GM mode after only playing it a little bit last fall. Apparently I managed to acquire him (no idea). It was easily a great choice.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
So the Habs are streaming their game against the Ducks using NHL 2020.

Edit: This could be a good idea to kill time for the Avs board if anyone has NHL 2020 and the ability to live stream it. I'd watch the game.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

My thoughts on this...
  • I had it made up in my mind that even if the Wings somehow managed to beat the 2016-17 Avalanche mark for futility, it still doesn't really erase that black mark, if for no other reason than this Wings team is knowingly tanking, whereas the Avs of that time were in more of a transition mode. They wanted to be competitive, maybe be a bubble team, but they were in no way prepared for what was about to happen that season. I'll give Joe credit for not panicking once the bottom really fell out. Most GMs would have and tried a coaching firing or some trade just to save face.
  • I believe the analytics crowd still tabs the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres as pound-for-pound the worst NHL team of all time. And somehow even THAT team was lucky enough to win three more games than the Avalanche, which tells you just how unlucky that Avs team was. Everything that could have gone wrong for that club, did.
  • In the end, it doesn't matter if you have 54 points, 48, or none, last place is last place. That season was the most painful experience I can recall as a sports fan, and I'm old enough to remember when the Denver Nuggets won ELEVEN GAMES in 1997-98. But it's done now...and thankfully the last two-plus seasons have put that awful memory in the rear view mirror where it belongs.
  • Avs got Cale Makar out of that misery. Could've been worse--they could be like Ottawa last season or San Jose this season, where they tanked it and don't even have a lottery pick to show for it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's what the NHL game looks like now? I honestly think the 09 version on my PC plays smoother than that and doesn't look much worse. And not only are my rosters updated to the very latest transaction, I've got all the equipment personalized and jerseys tucked as preferred.

One of the reasons I haven't been buying them. You can change the game speed and mechanics, but it takes forever to get it just right. Also any online crap you do is in the original setup which 100% of the time feels slow as hell.

Another thing regarding PC vs consoles. Sometime in the early 2000s I think in the PS3 era they stopped giving a shit about the PC version. There are literally features missing from the PC versions vs the console. The PC version usually has twice as many bugs and glitches too.

I'm not sure if that has been better the last few years on PC or not, but it was absolutely trash practices by EA.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
One of the reasons I haven't been buying them. You can change the game speed and mechanics, but it takes forever to get it just right. Also any online crap you do is in the original setup which 100% of the time feels slow as hell.

Another thing regarding PC vs consoles. Sometime in the early 2000s I think in the PS3 era they stopped giving a shit about the PC version. There are literally features missing from the PC versions vs the console. The PC version usually has twice as many bugs and glitches too.

I'm not sure if that has been better the last few years on PC or not, but it was absolutely trash practices by EA.

I believe gaming companies have not released NHL for PC in a very long time now.

Reactions: missionAvs

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
That's what the NHL game looks like now? I honestly think the 09 version on my PC plays smoother than that and doesn't look much worse. And not only are my rosters updated to the very latest transaction, I've got all the equipment personalized and jerseys tucked as preferred.

I used to love playing on PC, but for me it was like early 2000’s when they had Jim Hughson, and it was still pretty much an arcade style of play (dudes had ‘attributes’ like a skate icon if they were really fast, flaming puck for a hard shot, etc...)

09 was probably one of the best in the series imo, but I had an Xbox at that point.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I used to love playing on PC, but for me it was like early 2000’s when they had Jim Hughson, and it was still pretty much an arcade style of play (dudes had ‘attributes’ like a skate icon if they were really fast, flaming puck for a hard shot, etc...)

09 was probably one of the best in the series imo, but I had an Xbox at that point.
NHL 02 was the GOAT :nod:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Wasn't the arcade style one something other than EA?

I believe gaming companies have not released NHL for PC in a very long time now.

Didn't know that, but not surprised if so. They completely stopped caring about it.

I've been using only a console for games since around 2010.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Just technically speaking developing games for desktop/laptop markets is harder than for console markets because of the vast range of software and hardware devices. If you develop for PS3 there's likely only a couple of permutations. But a Windows PC could be any of a myriad of versions of windows, with a bunch of different motherboards, graphics cards, memory size and type, sound cards etc. The combinations and permutations are almost endless. I don't blame gaming companies shunning the PC market. At the time when EASports stopped releasing PC versions of the NHL franchise I was gutted because I loved playing them, but in hindsight I get it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Peter Chiarelli wants to be a GM again in the NHL. Lol.

Let's all hope this actually happens. I can't think of a worse GM over the last 20 years, honestly. His trades and free agent signings are lunacy.

And here's what makes it even funnier:

He doesn't believe the trades/signings he made are what did him in. He thinks it was "accelerating the rebuild" after the Oilers made the playoffs in 2017. He doesn't believe his Griffin Reinhart for two 1st's trade was bad. Nor does he think the Taylor Hall trade was bad. Nor does he think the Milan Lucic signing was bad. He also claims the Taylor Hall trade was partially made for "cap reasons" and then went on to sign Milan Lucic to the exact same cap hit mere days later.

I pray some team in the West, preferably the Central, hires this guy. It'll be one less team to worry about.

HugeMetalFan

Jul 30, 2015
Peter Chiarelli wants to be a GM again in the NHL. Lol.

Let's all hope this actually happens. I can't think of a worse GM over the last 20 years, honestly. His trades and free agent signings are lunacy.

And here's what makes it even funnier:

He doesn't believe the trades/signings he made are what did him in. He thinks it was "accelerating the rebuild" after the Oilers made the playoffs in 2017. He doesn't believe his Griffin Reinhart for two 1st's trade was bad. Nor does he think the Taylor Hall trade was bad. Nor does he think the Milan Lucic signing was bad. He also claims the Taylor Hall trade was partially made for "cap reasons" and then went on to sign Milan Lucic to the exact same cap hit mere days later.

I pray some team in the West, preferably the Central, hires this guy. It'll be one less team to worry about.
I, on the other hand, think he's a perfect GM...perfect for the Wild, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad