2019-2020 - Around the League Part II (All non-Stars NHL Talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's so odd watching this Dallas Mavericks game. They're still playing and the only thing the broadcast is talking about is the season is over. I thought they would have just stopped the games, but I guess that's not the case.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It would seem improbable that the NHL will continue. I'm surprised NBA didn't give chance for playing with empty arenas, but they have a player that tested positive so what could they do?

It's a conversation that likely would get out of hand and doesn't belong on a hockey forum so I'll just say I'm glad it seems like people are just making the best decisions they can to keep everyone safe, and selfishly, hockey has been a nice distraction. I was hoping the empty arena solution would work, and who knows ... maybe they league will give it a shot. If that's not the safest or best option ... I totally get that.

NBA suspension is largely in part due to Gobert (a player) testing positive and exposing his team and another to the virus. At least two teams needed to be quarantined, hence the sudden suspension. It was probably inevitable but that expedited it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
NBA suspension is largely in part due to Gobert (a player) testing positive and exposing his team and another to the virus. At least two teams needed to be quarantined, hence the sudden suspension. It was probably inevitable but that expedited it.

It seems likely to me an NHL players already has the virus . We just don't know it yet because in the US barely anyone has been tested yet. Is it even 10k combined for the whole country yet ?

Pretty much all sporting events or events with any kind of large crowds around the globe won't be happening anymore anytime soon.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It seems likely to me an NHL players already has the virus . We just don't know it yet because in the US barely anyone has been tested yet. Is it even 10k combined for the whole country yet ?

Pretty much all sporting events or events with any kind of large crowds around the globe won't be happening anymore anytime soon.

The US is only reporting just over 1K, but based on how they're doing testing, it's almost certainly many times higher than that.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The US is only reporting just over 1K, but based on how they're doing testing, it's almost certainly many times higher than that.

I meant 10k tests not cases. Infection are guaranteed to be way higher in the US than its currently reported because of the lack of testing. Even in the countries with the most rigoros testing there should be a ton of cases that haven't been found because people barely felt ill and never reported it to get tested but certainly spread it.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Feels like this should give us an idea of what to expect when it comes to that announcement tomorrow...not looking great

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I sincerely doubt in the next weeks any games will be played with fans or without.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I’m assuming the playoff brackets will be determined by points percentage. I can’t find a website where I can see the wild card standings sorted by points percentage. Anyone have that?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Have to say, I considered implications at the NYR game the other night. Fortunately, my seats are top row of lower deck, and no one is really going to sneeze backwards and uphill, and no one was in the sky box right above me. Then, my buddy left and gave me his two seats on the ice, but no one was around us (at first) and I felt pretty safe there.

TBH, suspension probably helps the Stars, assuming they cancel games for a few weeks, as it helps them keep their standing. And, it might help fans. I never really feel fully comfortable buying those expensive playoff strips, almost half knowing it will be a max of two games played. Season tickets aren't too expensive, but at the limit. doubling that price for the PO does get a bit expensive for my tastes, but if you don't buy them, you lose your seats for the next year.

Overall, gotta hurt Stars revenues. I was told that my current half season plan may not be renewed unless I upgrade to full, because they will give it to anyone who commits to full season next year. Stars were a hot ticket until the losing streak, and COVID 19 isn't helping their preview seat event on Sunday, or sales for next year.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
So based on those standings, would St Louis play Calgary because St louis is tops in the West and they get to play WC2 or would St Louis play Nashville because they're in the same division? I believe its the first... but I know one of you will know for sure.

Either way I would love one of those teams to upset St Louis and be a POTENTIAL second round opponent for the Stars. Not holding my breath on that happening, or the Stars getting past the AV's, but one can hope.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
So based on those standings, would St Louis play Calgary because St louis is tops in the West and they get to play WC2 or would St Louis play Nashville because they're in the same division? I believe its the first... but I know one of you will know for sure.

Either way I would love one of those teams to upset St Louis and be a POTENTIAL second round opponent for the Stars. Not holding my breath on that happening, or the Stars getting past the AV's, but one can hope.
WC 1 and WC 2 division makes no difference
The #1 team in the west (st. Louis in this case) will always play the 8th seed (WC2 Calgary in this case)
Nashville would play in the pacific if the above scenario comes to fruition

Reactions: Kipper 17

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I thought for a second about what the Wilds objective is going into next season paying Bjugstad 2.6 million next year and then I decided not to.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Been out of service for most of the past two days and missed the Montgomery signing. Surprised he found an nhl gig so quickly.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The NHL has embraced players who were dealing with substance abuse issues. It doesn't surprise me that they will also embrace a coach. I'm happy about that. People do deserve a second chance.

LeBrun mentioned before several weeks ago ... whatever team takes a chance on him will know what happened. You can't make that decision to bring him in without knowing. If they feel like is recovery solid, which they obviously do, they are ready to move on with him.

Reactions: Kipper 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad